Hello

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayhackel

Reaction score
Just joined this forum but have been lurking for a few months. I've been smoking pipes for about 35 years with some gaps due to detours to cigars. I recommitted to pipes about a year and 1/2 ago. I still smoke a full bent Bertram's purchased in 1975 when the shop was closing as well as a number of Jost's purchased here in St. Louis the 70's and 80's before that shop closed. Unfortunately, or at least uncomfortably, I've been suffering from PAD these past 18 months and have acquired several Upshalls, and Ashton's as well as several Charatans, Sasieni's, GBD's and BBB's. All mid to low levels for their respective marks. You may detect a pattern here. I also have a couple of Danish (Bari's) and Italian (Becker and Musico) and American (Tinsky and Wiley), but find myself smoking English pipes more often. Now that I have a fair number of pipes, I'm devoting this year to finding trying new tobaccos. I've enjoyed lurking, and have learned a lot from you all these past few months and hope to participate going forward. But I did want to thank you all for all the great information I found while lurking.

Welcome Aboard. Your active participation would be a welcome addition.

Welcome to the best place in the world to learn and relax. Enjoy a bowl with us.

Greetings!

So in your neck of the woods where do you have to go to actually lay your fingers on a good selection of pipes for sale?

Steve

SStodvictory,

There are three shops that I know of in the St. Louis area. Jon's in Clayton, Town and Country Tobacco in Manchester and Dengler's in St. Charles. None have huge selections of pipes any more. Dunhills, Vuillards, Savinelli's, Petersons ect, but not a lot of each any more. Jon's used to have a huge selection, but now mostly cigars although they do have some very nice pipes including Dunhills and sometimes Formers. Same with Town and Country but with different marks. I'm not that familiar with Denglers but believe that most of their pipes are their house brand. I've bought a few pipes at Jons and tobacco from the others. Most of the pipes I've purchased over the past couple of years have been on-line, ebay and at the Gateway Pipe Show. I miss the old pipe stores we had here in the 1970's

Any sources up your way? I visit family just west of Springfield with some regularity, but don't know of any shops in the area. Come to think of it, I haven't looked.