Help! (Again)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
So, While pulling apart pipes to soak stems today this happened...

It was pretty stuck so I have it a bit of a twist and the stem just slid right off. Then I had to pull the tenon out of the pipe, which was super stuck. I’m assuming it will be fine if I just superglue the sucker back into the stem and sand down the tenon so it won’t happen again, but I wanted to ask around to see if anyone has had a similar predicament and solved it in a different way. Is superglue even safe to use in a situation like this?

Thanks guys,

Zach

Yup, that usually comes down to not giving the superglue a good purchase on the derlin tenon material. Rough it up with a file, knife whatever you can get your hands on. Apply glue only to the derlin so you don't plug your draft hole. You don't need gobs of glue either. Saves you the hassle of cleaning it up when it runs out all over your stem and fingers. Sand down the bit that goes into the shank and you should be good to go. Go slow on the sanding though you don't want to take too much off.

Jim

Ok! I used a file and roughed up the inside of the stem and the derlin. Also, I sanded the tenon so it slides in and out with an appropriate amount of resistance, and wouldn’t you know it...

NO SUPERGLUE!!!!!! :evil:

Guess I get to go to the store tomorrow...

Thanks for the advice guys!

Zach

I use 5 minute epoxy on delrin. No problem once it’s scuffed up!