help cleaning the "burned" rim of a meer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Brothers,

I've got a carved meer that I was a bit sloppy with in lighting, (30+ years ago when I thought using farmer/kitchen matches was the cool way to light a pipe) so the end result is a rather burned looking, black crusted rim of the bowl. As meerschaum is a mineral and I assume won't burn at the temperatures we smoke at, is it just coated with this black "crud" and can it be cleaned/removed without hacking the poor pipe to pieces?

The rest of the outside of the pipe is fine and the inside of the bowl is OK, but the top rim looks pretty singed.

Thanks in advance for your help

Natch

Sandpaper,fine grit-that black stuff wet/dry paper will take it off.A sharp pen knife may come in handy also.Then after you get it the way you want it,some beeswax applied and rubbed up.

Winslow

A little saliva, a finger tip, and elbow grease did a pretty good job on my moderately charred meer rim.

-Andrew

Apply saliva, wait about 10 mintues and gently scrape the rim with a fingernail or dull knife - repeat if necessary. That should clean off the schmutz so you can see if there is actual damage.

Many thanks, Scotty, for the tip.

I'd known that spidotzium was a good tar-loostener, but not about the time factor.

This works on briar also ?

(I guess I could just try it and see, but the humidity from all this rain has me too lazy to do much beside perspire).

Regards,

:face: