Help Me Decide-Next Tin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Reaction score
I'm still a beginner and have only tried a few tobaccos so far including: SG FVF, Tudor Castle, Escudo, Frog Morton Cella, McClelland Legends and Dunhill Nightcap.

Basically I've liked them all. I love tobacco. I'd say the FVF stands at the top, the perique in the Escudo and Tudor Castle bugs me sometimes, sometimes I like it.

Sometimes the Latakia blends taste like soap which is unpleasant. My palate seems to change on this. Right now they are tasting good (soap free).

Frog Morton Cellar is definitely mild compared to the others which is good when I'm in just the right mood but generally prefer something heartier.

I'm thinking something with burley next which leads me to Exhausted Rooster and Peterson Irish Flake. Although the Navy Flake and 1792 are also calling my name...

What tin should I open next? Choices (All tins unopened, most have a few years on them, bought some aged tins for a good deal recently):

C&D Exhausted Rooster-from 2012, tin bulging
Peterson Irish Flake-new
Dunhill Flake-couple years
1792 Flake-couple years
SG Navy Flake-couple years
McClleland Wilderness-1 year

I have a few days on this, finishing the last of the FVF soon and will free up a jar. Opinions welcome :)

Wilderness is very approachable, as is Dunhill Flake. To me, the 1792 and the Navy Flake smoke best once you've really gotten the hang of things. Of course I don't think FVF is the most user friendly tobacco either. Peterson Irish Flake is excellent, but very strong as are the Gawith Blends. I've never had Exhausted Rooster.

I guess, if it were me, I'd go for the Wilderness and Dunhill.

If you like FVF and you like perique you should get a tin of St. James!

Ocelot55":c9odycte said:
I guess, if it were me, I'd go for the Wilderness and Dunhill.
My choices as well. 1792 is kinda outside the box early in the game.

Ocelot55":c9odycte said:
Of course I don't think FVF is the most user friendly tobacco either.
That's spot on!

Love me some Exhausted Rooster, but there again I'm primarily a straight 'ginny/VaPer kind guy.

Cheers,

RR

Bugsahearn":adjvz7bh said:
If you like FVF and you like perique you should get a tin of St. James!
Yes, another fan of SJF here too.

However, of your list my vote would be the 'dunny flake.

Looking like Dunhill Flake is the front runner. Hoping to pop a new tin today or tomorrow.

Just open whichever one you feel like at the moment you're ready to open the next one. Search your feelings, young Jedi of the Leaf. :lol:

Thanks all for the suggestions. Dunhill Flake it is, actually popped the tin a few days ago and have had two bowls. Not as rich and FVF but I love the hay/grassiness flavor that is more pronounced with the Dunhil.

Next up was going to be Exhausted Rooster but I ended up ordering some supplies and added some bulk tobaccos. Finishing off Legends and Tudor Castle to free up jars for Dunhill MM965 and C&D Briar Fox. Those will be what I smoke next.

Cheers @bemused I'm a big fan of Dunhill Flake it's a great anytime smoke. I'd also recommend orlik golden sliced as well as the already mentioned SJF and if you like FVF you should try Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake it's also good.

Kramer":urmw32s7 said:
Cheers @bemused I'm a big fan of Dunhill Flake it's a great anytime smoke. I'd also recommend orlik golden sliced as well as the already mentioned SJF and if you like FVF you should try Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake it's also good.
Agreed, 100%.. 8)