Help me identify this IM Corona

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaumans

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this forum and I know nothing about lighters. However...

I came across an interesting lighter today while cleaning up my house, and started doing some research. It seems to be a IM Corona Pipemaster, but I haven't been able to find any exactly like it on the internet. I was hoping you all could help tell me more about it.

I'll be grateful for any help at all

Cheers!

Cant quite make it out... do you have a bigger picture?

:D sorry couldn't help myself.

I'm afraid I cant tell you any more than you already know, it looks old but in decent condition though. I'd guess it was made in the 80's? Just a guess though.

Greyson":ojul2nu2 said:

That made me spit some tea.

Hang on jlaumans i am pretty sure someone one here posted one of these recently, try the search feature you find some info :pirat:

Greyson":b2qmxn4u said:
Hahaha sorry about that. First time posting. Was hoping the site would auto-resize them. Rookie mistake :(

I contacted Savinelli in Italy and asked them via email - I will let you know how they respond...

gandalfpc":uzjvnhh8 said:
I contacted Savinelli in Italy and asked them via email - I will let you know how they respond...
Oh wow! Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time for that!

Let's see what they say :)

Not a fuel indicator, I think it is some type of safety. But am not sure...

If I had gas in it I could try it out, but its empty.

If I push up the "safety", then ignite the lighter, the "safety" goes back down. Then the "safety" shows the red color.

Or maybe it is just something used to turn off the flame?

Waaay to many questions ! Besides it's a GAS lighter and there's waaay to many problems with them :twisted: Put it away, and get a Zippo pipe lighter, a bottle of fluid and light your pipe FOREVER :twisted:

Pipelighters":ba3qf5ys said:
Is it a pipe magie?
It is not a Magie it is a pipemaster that has electronic spark. Here is a picture of a magie. MIKE

I had an IM Corona lighter very similar to this, that I lost to TSA before they officially said they were taking lighters from luggage. It is in fact a Pipemaster from the late 1980s or so.

It has a manual flame shut-off, which is what the little switch on the front is for. If you push it up, the lighter will spark when you press the main switch. Release the main switch, and the flame stays on (similar to an Old Boy), allowing you to hold the lighter with one hand to spark your bowl. When finished, push the front switch up and the flame goes out, ready for its next use. A genius design!

I bought mine at Iwan Ries in Chicago back in the late 1980s, and had it until 2003 when it was confiscated by TSA. I replaced it with a modern Pipemaster, which is nice but not like the one I had had.

Enjoy!

What the above poster said. It is indeed a Pipemaster from the 80s. I have one I brought to Kenya with me. Be sure you always put the safety back in its proper position because if it stays in the read when not lit gas leaks out.

s-l16010.jpg
" />

Could anybody shed some light on this one. Model name written on the bottom is 'Excellent' apart from the usual im corona inscription.

That is a CDL-2 (or 1..possibly)also known as a pipemaster.  I have the exact model that I had refurbished by Music City Mrktg.  If yours work or if it doesn't Magic City will refurbish it as they did mine for $35.00. Mine is from 1963.