Help On James Barber, "Les Wood" Carved York Pipe.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riff raff":h7moo18y said:
sisyphus":h7moo18y said:
Les says that in England silversmiths are authorized by the assayer to stamp their own work, provided the article is under 21 grams.

In addition Les did the silver for the post merger Cadogans. I mentioned the Loewe thing to him and he said he did them from 1979 to 2007. Cadogan wanted hallmarks on the Loewe, Comoy's and BBB work he did for them.

So there it is, straight from the source.
Is there a reason why he doesn't stamp a date on his Ferndown pipes in addition to the 925 Sterling mark?
I'd guess he just doesn't see the sense in having a new year stamp made every year when he's not required to do so.

riff raff":gkjm6lgj said:
sisyphus":gkjm6lgj said:
Afaik Les does all silver work on his pipes, in addition to Upshall, Ashton and at least some of Dunhill's silver adorned pipes. I've never seen a hallmark on any of those. I'll ask him and post the answer I get.
That would be fascinating to learn the reason, thanks and what a treat to be able to speak with Les Woods! Not much help here for Dave, but at least perhaps we'll learn why they aren't dated.
This is either a rare pipe or there where not many made. Thanks for all the replies!

Well, no matter the year, that certainly is a lovely pipe. I remember when you bought that and I made a mental note to acquire a British made Poker for my rack.

riff raff":ig6zbmrh said:
Well, no matter the year, that certainly is a lovely pipe. I remember when you bought that and I made a mental note to acquire a British made Poker for my rack.
It was quite the bargain last year Al!