Help opening Vulcanite stem mouthpiece

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

History Prof 1861

Reaction score
Good afternoon

I have a Comoy’s Tigereye that is a good pipe however it has a somewhat serious flaw in the mouthpiece it narrows in the middle. This makes it impossible to pass a pipe cleaner though the mouth piece. The draw over all is good but this is annoying when cleaning. Suggestions on how to remove the offending bit of vulcanite?

Thank you

If it is a bent, you'd have to straighten it first, and then you get into all kinds of possible troubles. I have a pipe like this, and it is a fantastic smoker every time. I've given into the fact that I have to separate the stem from bowl and enter from the tenon end, which works only slightly better, but it does work. What's that saying? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or another: "keep it simple, stupid."

You'd have to straighten it and then use a slot tool. if straight, go right to the slot tool. can be found here: https://vermontfreehand.com/tooling/

Zeno's on the right of it - get one without a handle and grip it with pliars. Meant to add too, I don't think you would have to straighten it. These are really flexible.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 11.28.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 11.28.23 AM.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: