Help!! Pre Republic (1949) Peterson?????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
Hi folks. 

I just purchased a straight estate Peterson on a local auction site, a first for me.

From what I see here: http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-peterson.html# I may just have bagged myself a Pre (1949) Republic for under 400 ZAR (About 40 USD). Judging by a pic from above that allows a limited view down into the bowl, it doesn't even seem to have been smoked that much.

At the risk of being put in the stocks and jeered at, I have to ask those of superior knowledge: Can this be??

It certainly has the PETERSEN over DUBLIN & LONDON in block capitals and the 'P' looks identical (no silver band, simply plain old stem into shank).

Love to post a pic but I'm struggling  to upload the one I have available from the auction site (Any help here would similarly be appreciated). In the meantime this is the link to the auction site: http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/155205538/A_briar_pipe_by_Petersons_in_a_pouch.html

Secondly, if it is, what does this mean?  :?: 

Would certainly appreciate any inputs from those who can spare the time.

Thanks,

Mark.

I am not sure about the date that the Dublin & London series of Peterson's pipes came into being, but if it is a pre-Republic pipe the nomenclature will read "Made in Ireland". If it is not, it will read "Made in the Republic of Ireland". What I do know is that the Dublin & London series are fantastic smokes, and are all free of any putty fills!! They retailed for around $125.00 in the mid 1990's. In today's market the majority of those smoked estate pipes will command around $60 to $70 USD depending on condition and shape. If it is a pre-Republic pipe they command more $$. Bent Peterson pipes are more popular than the straight but it just comes down to personal preference. IMO you did very well and have a super pipe and sure to be a good smoker with some collectibility as well. Enjoy

If you take a look at the P in the stamp, you will see that it is the fishtail P.  This, I do believe, dates it as a pre-republic.  Those that are in the "know" may say that I am wrong, but when I researched mine, that was one of the clues I had to date my pre-republic. I picked it up for $40 shipped. Mine also has the nickel band, and a clear enough nomenclature (Made in Ireland) that I was able to positively identify it at pre-republic.  It is a great smoker.  I have no doubt that you will love this pipe. I now have 3 peterson pipes. Good score there!  Sometimes you get really lucky and find a gem like this for a nice, low price.

d4klutz":sg1w5o5i said:
If you take a look at the P in the stamp, you will see that it is the fishtail P.  
The pipe in my picture has got a P-lip stem?

Hi Mark, why did you pay so much money for that crappy piece of junk?   :twisted:

Sent you a PM just now.

I agree, based on the P script on the stem, it appears to be pre-Republic, so I'll wait to see what the stamping on the other side says.

I have a London & Dublin Pre-Republic, a straight Rhodesian with fishtail bit and it smokes very well. Your stamping on the side we can see, looks identical to this one. Heck of a buy, I paid a lot more for mine, but worth every penny.

I have two Pre-Republic Pete's that my father bought in London in 1946 which have the Peterson / Dublin and London stamp and P on their P-lips as yours and on the opposite side of the stem say "Made in London" . During this time, Pete had a facility in England for making pipes in England for tax purposes. The opposite side of the stem and it's stamping will tell you definitively whether it is a Pre-Rpublic as Pete started stamping their pipes "Made in the Republic of Ireland post '48/'49 . If you bought it as an "investment" these do bring MORE than the later pipes but are some VERY NICE SMOKING pipes so you may want to give THAT aspect some thought !!  :twisted: :twisted:

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the encouraging info. I cant wait to get this baby in my hands to see what's on the other side. Will let you know when it gets here.

B.T.W. Speedy, you aint the sonofaB$5#* who tried to outbid me, are you??  :p 

Mark

Puffer Mark":h5iduek9 said:
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the encouraging info. I cant wait to get this baby in my hands to see what's on the other side. Will let you know when it gets here.

B.T.W. Speedy, you aint the sonofaB$5#* who tried to outbid me, are you??  :p 

Mark
I'll see you at our next clubmeeting where you can show us your pipe. Charl Goussard will also be present. Maybe you won't show your pipe after all  :twisted: 

Well, brothers she’s arrived. I went to collect my Petersen yesterday, opened the box with much anticipation and trembling hand. Got her out the box, rolled that stem over and saw . . . . . . . .(drum roll please): MADE IN IRELAND.

So it seems by all accounts I have bagged myself a Pre-Republic Pete! A pleasant surprise is that it is in much better condition than the auction site photos suggest. One or two very minor dings on the bowl and of course the slight clench marks on the stem. The inside of the bowl has some light charring and no real cake build-up, hopefully confirming belief that it has not been smoked that much. The bottom of the bowl and the top 2-3mm are more or less still bare timber. Not being an expert, I can’t say for sure whether it’s been reamed, but it does not seem so to me. A quick hand buff with a hanky and she came up a rich honey glow.

Restoration wise (if you can call it that) I think: Run her through stem and shank with alcohol on a bristle cleaner. A light going over the bit end of the stem where there is some slight oxidation with Brasso (a slightly abrasive metal polish I discern to be similar to the White Diamond you American brothers speak of), always taking care to preserve the nearly perfect stem logo. Finally, perhaps a coat of Savinelli bowl polish which I have at hand. In general in this case I think less is more. Would surely appreciate the benefit of your superior knowledge, experience and expertise here.

Well, one question answered raises another: I bought this as a smoking pipe, never intended anything else. I’m a smoker not a collector. That is, until I read the tail end of monbla’s post. I’m still inclined to smoke this baby, but given it’s vintage, would I be labeled a philistine? Wouldn't be the first time, I assure you? So of course I want to smoke her, but I don’t want to cut up a Stradivarius to make a banjo either, if you get my meaning. Then again an old piece of faultless briar was surely made for nothing else. On the other hand . . . . (well you see my predicament).

What do you say, brothers. Smoke or stash?

Any guesses as to it’s current or possible future cash value considering it’s vintage? Your opinions would be most valued.

Thanks again for all the advice and info given so far.

Regards,
Mark

Mark, I would say smoke it a couple of times, at least. No harm could come to it and then, after smoking it, you can make up your mind.

For me it would be easy, I only buy pipes to SMOKE! I've never sold any of my pipes, if I don't like a particular pipe, I just pass it on to the wannabees in our club.

Better smoke it or they'll hound you like they do me.

Cartaphilus":mdqryn9e said:
You stand apart with your smoking/collecting philosophy. We can't help but pick on you.

juanmedusa":eu57okza said:
Cartaphilus":eu57okza said:
You stand apart with your smoking/collecting philosophy. We can't help but pick on you.

WHAT'S the problem? IT'S A PIPE, SMOKE it !! You said you were a SMOKER ?  :twisted: :twisted: 

Smoke the thing! You will enjoy it. I know I enjoy smoking mine! A pipe is only as valuable as the owner wants it to be. IMHO, a pipe that isn't smoked is only worth something to collectors. You won't devalue the pipe by smoking it (As long as you take care of it). It has already been smoked.

Smoke It! lol Got one similar to that last year and it's a great smoker it's a london & dublin in a bent bulldog shape.

OK, OK brothers, I get it already. Smoke 'em it is. Knew it all along really. Truthfully I don't think I would last more than a couple of days with that sitting in a 'cool dark place' before I was overcome by temptation anyway.

Can't wait to fire it up.

Sincere thanks again for all the input. Truly appreciated.

Mark.