Help Revive the 2012 Sailorman Jack Zippo Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaukatt

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me posting this here but I am trying to breathe life back into a project that is very dear to my heart. I sent this out to the membership of the NY Pipe Club and to my friends at the UPCA. Rather than paraphrase here I'd ask you have a read. If it moves you fantastic, if not no worries and I apologize for the interruption.

Lou

An image of the lighter can be seen here and below:

http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/content.aspx?page_id=5&club_id=415823&item_id=21617

I sent this out the other day and please realize it went to the membership of the NY Pipe Club...

I hope this email finds you well!

While I do not like to use the Club email system to blast out notices of solicitation, I felt it appropriate in light of what the subject matter might mean to some of us. It just may be relevant to some of you and I hope that it would be enough to encourage you to place an order so that the efforts do not go by the wayside. I am talking about the proposed collectible Sailorman Jack Etched Zippo Lighter for 2012. Have you heard?

I m not sure of how many of you are familiar with the internet discussion newsgroup alt.smokers.pipes, known as “ASP”, which caters to our beloved hobby, but each year those who help maintain the group hold a design contest for their annual collectable Zippo Lighter. While it came close in recent years,the Sailorman Jack design has finally won and an etched design of our beloved Jack will adorn the side of the Zippo, see photo included. I think it is a great tribute to our founding member and first President who we lost 6 years ago.

I'm not sure who would be interested but I figure that anyone who knew Jack should be notified and at least have the opportunity to buy one. Please feel free to forward this to anyone you think would appreciate the opportunity. In ever use a Zippo to light my pipe but I'd be honored to add this one to my collection in honor of Jack. I think it will complement our Jack's Chanty blend very nicely!

Now comes the hard part about all his… The problem is that the Zippo Manufacturing Co. has now implemented a policy that requires a minimum order of 50 lighters! So the call went out on the ASP discussion group and only 5 have responded with orders, 2 of which are mine! So, if an order of 50 cannot be attained, the entire project will be scrapped and time is running out. I would hate to see that happen especially because the lighter has such significance to our club, or at least to those who have been around long enough to have known Sailorman Jack. If we can help achieve the required total,great, if not, at least I can say we tried. Besides, if it did not hold such relevance to the NY Pipe Club I would not have taken up your time today. I appreciate your consideration and apologize for taking up your time.

If you are so moved to place an order, the man you need to contact is Burt Olton. He is spearheading the project and taking orders. If you would like to place an order, and since time is now of the essence, I would send Burt an email expressing your interest so that he can add you to his numbers with hopes of reaching the 50 order mark. He will direct you from there on what to do next.

For details on how to place an order please see below but I would first contact him via email.

As per Bert Olton from alt.smokers.pipes:

Subject: 2012 Sailorman Jack ASP Zippos
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:01:20 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.smokers.pipes

Hello ASP!

Gotta say, I'm glad to see the Sailorman Jack lighter take its place
among the series.

I'm trying to simplify the ordering this time around (again....) so bear
with me on some of the details.

You can start ordering single lighters right away. Pricing is listed
below.

However, pricing for multiple lighter orders I won't be able to
calculate accurately until we get the exact cost per lighter from Zippo,
which will be in a few weeks. Bill's got to finalize the artwork,then
Zippo has to run that through their art and manufacturing departments, etc.

So anyway, here goes:

2012 ASP Zippo Pipe Lighter Pricing

$31.00 for shipping to U. S. addresses

For multiple lighter orders, contact me at '[email protected]

To pay via PayPal, send payment to the above email address.
To pay via check or money order, email me at the above address for my
snail mail address.

Best regards to all,

Bert

So, here's hoping we can revive this project and get it back in action in honor of our late friend, Sailorman Jack.

Happy Smokes,
Lou

Yes, thankfully for all of those, like myself, who loved the Sailorman, it happened! I may have one available, pm me if interested and I'll take a look.

Lou