Help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
While I hate to introduce science into the enjoyment of pipe smoking, I would like to see a spread sheet that list the various styles of pipe tobacco and their components. This information would be a big help both in identifying what you like in a blend and knowing where to start when you are considering a new blend.
For example, the tobacco review site lists 35 GLP blends. Where do you start? Do you just read other people reviews and try blends that others like, or is there a better way?
Has anyone made a spread sheet with this information?
Thanks,
Bub

Yo Bub, This is pipe smoking, not astro-science, step up to the plate learn by trying, you will make mistakes but come up with some winners, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :king:

Bub,
My advice to you is to get active in your local pipe club.There you'll be able to try a wide variety of blends with no investment.****Where are you located anyway?******

Also you may want to join Mikem's box pass list...It's a great chance to sample dozens of blends.Hurry though! it's limited to 25 participants!!!!! see the link below...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/mike-s-world-f19/

Best,
Dock

Bub":8pbmeumq said:
While I hate to introduce science into the enjoyment of pipe smoking, I would like to see a spread sheet that list the various styles of pipe tobacco and their components. This information would be a big help both in identifying what you like in a blend and knowing where to start when you are considering a new blend.
For example, the tobacco review site lists 35 GLP blends. Where do you start? Do you just read other people reviews and try blends that others like, or is there a better way?
Has anyone made a spread sheet with this information?
Thanks,
Bub
I've never seen such a spreadsheet. Might it be something you'd tackle yourself? Some manufacturers list components of their blends, though they won't give the exact recipe. Tobaccoreviews.com would be another good source. Of course you will find considerable overlap between styles, and some questions and disagreements on nomenclature. Pipes and tobaccos can behave oddly, taste buds even more so, which is why knowing what is in a blend sometimes doesn't mean you know exactly why you like it.

Good luck,

Jack

I have never seen any spread sheets on the subject but what I will usually do is listen to peoples reviews on different blends and give them a try. The best learning tool that I have ever experienced and what opened a whole new world for me was joining my first box pass many moons ago on the Knox board. I had smoked Lane 1Q for longer than I want to remember when my eyes were opened up to all of the different types of blends out there. You really get to try out a lot of different types of blends during a pass. It is much cheaper than going out and buying a bunch of tins to find out you don't like certain types of blends. Smoking Pipes and Mars Cigars on the web also usually have pretty good descriptions of whats in the different blends. If you know what type of blend you like (Virginia, Virginia/Perique, or English) this might also help you in what you are looking for.

If you are lucky enough to have a nice pipe shop (not a cigar shop) near you I would encourage you to visit them as much as possible. I was lucky to have several here in Phoenix and learned a lot from them. One in particular had the owners father who worked there who was a long time pipe smoker. He was the best teacher I have ever had the privilege in knowing when it had anything to do with pipes or blends. Good luck in your quest.

Between the blend component descriptions and the search feature at Tobacco Reviews. the data's all pretty much there waiting for you.

:face:

Bub,

A few more suggestions....

1. Attend one or more of the upcoming pipe shows. Many of the tobacco dealers provide free samples, their advertising literature and can answer any other questions you might have.

2. Search the tobacco section of the Knox Board archives. I think there are about 50 pages of topic threads and contain a world of valuable information about blenders, individual tobacco types and particular blend reviews. I found more valuable and accurate information there than any other place.

For example if you search for "Briar Fox" in the tobacco forum, you'll find this thread-- http://forums.knoxcigar.net/viewtopic.php?t=2443

3. With tobaccoreviews.com, you'll find that some/many of the blends are no longer made or imported. Also some are bulks that have been renamed by a local tobacco shop. You'll also find there are some contradictory reviews of a particular blend, not to mention ego mania and tobacco bashing.

Good luck in your quest!

Jim

I really appreciate everyones helpful comments, but I still would like to see a spreadsheet.
Maybe there just isn't one.
Thanks again,
Bub

You will find that your learning curve will be a steep one. There's no substitute for experience. I have yet to see something like a spread sheet.

Blend descriptions are a good indication of what's in them. They can be had at any e-tailers web site.

I THINK what you are asking is how will you know before buying if you will like it. Blend descriptions, tobaccoreviews,com, experience and reading boards such as this one will give you a tremendous amount of knowledge in a very short period of time.

One strategy, helpful to me, is to research something you currently like on tr.com and try to isolate a reviewer or two that "describes" it approximating what YOU experienced from it. Once you have identified a few reviewers who are consistent with your tastes then look for them in other reviews.

Also, come on this board and say "Hey, I like this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what are some similar blends."

By all means, pull up members cellars posted here and you will see common threads running through them.

It's all about the search.....

One of the best things about pipe smoking, is that, thanks to internet merchants, you have available a world of different pipe tobaccos: unflavored and aromatic, light and full-bodied, a wide variety of cuts and blends. Obviously, it takes time to fully appreciate a tobacco. Unless a tobacco immediately offends your senses, don’t reject it; set it aside, jarred, for another day. One usually moves from OTC/codger mixtures, to bulk and tinned tobaccos; from aromatics, to English, Balkans, and VaPer blends, with stops, pauses, and re-visits along the way. I’m 75; I had two pipe lives: mid-1960’s to mid-1980’s, and 2016 to the present. Most of my first pipe life was with Balkans; my second has been (mostly) dedicated to aromatics.

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke! Cheers!

The thing about pipe blends is that very minor changes in ratios can make huge differences in the resulting blend. So get a list of every possible blending component. So let’s say you found 40 possible blending tobaccos…how many possible combinations of those 40 could you make if your blend always had three tobaccos? So n = 40 and r = 3. You’d better sit down. There are 59,280 possible combinations. And you’re not even figuring that there would be different percentages of each of your three components, always totaling 100%. Even if you allowed the blenders to only be used in percentage increments of 5% (so blend #22 would have 5% of one, 15% of the second and 80% of the third) the possible number of combinations is staggering. I think we’re talking like 500 million possibilities! And that’s using to simplest possible blending rule’s. So no thanks, I wouldn’t want to manage THAT database!