Herbal Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeBrew

Reaction score
Some may find this as blasphemy, but I am curious about herbal blends like Native Americans smoke, the legal ones. I have seen few different blends here and there online. I'd like to know if anyone here has tried these? If so, what's your opinion? I'm really interested in the blends that have a base of Mullein. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

:farao:

As far as I know,the people indigenous to this USA(Turtle Island)didn't smoke any of the "herbal blends" available today.The People on the Eastern front actually used the nicotene-containing herb we call tobacco.When the Lakota migrated to the plains and prairies,they started smoking the inner bark of the Red Willow tree....not the white part,but the brown;calling it cansasa,they mostly used it in their most sacred ceremonies ,and in serious business between each other.
Tobacco was also used in what we call "spirit ties"as offering to the spiritual entities,and when the Lakota got to the Black Hills,they had to find a substitute,as the original plant wasn't around.
There is a sacred protocol to use of the canunpa(sacred pipe).And please don't refer to it as a "peace pipe"......the idea behind smoking with the other people involved in an agreement or treaty was to cement the promises in a way in which they could never be broken.The smoke from the canunpa went into the hearts of them in agreement,and then,upon exhaling, would rise to the Akitchita,the messengers of the Creator,and they would tell Him of the promises made.
There is a company making a"Powwow Blend",I hear it is tasty.I personally use burley/cansasa mixed in the canunpa.
Respectfully,Tony

Thanks for all the information. Thanks for all the background information Tony, but where do you find cansasa? Do you just go out and get it or do you order it? How do you normally mix the cansasa and burley, i.e. 60-40, 50-50, or whatever?

From what I've read, it depends particularly on the area and what was available as to what Native Americans would smoke. I do know that Mullein wasn't used by any Native Americans, because it was just recently brought and grown in American, but was used in Europe and Asia.

I'm just looking for an alternative, because soon my wife wants me to quit smoking tobacco.

Very interesting.

Some blends have deer tongue... like Crooner. Not sure if that is an herb but it is fragrant.

:D Paul

Tony Ferrill":gchmeyx3 said:
As far as I know,the people indigenous to this USA(Turtle Island)didn't smoke any of the "herbal blends" available today.The People on the Eastern front actually used the nicotene-containing herb we call tobacco.When the Lakota migrated to the plains and prairies,they started smoking the inner bark of the Red Willow tree....not the white part,but the brown;calling it cansasa,they mostly used it in their most sacred ceremonies ,and in serious business between each other.
Tobacco was also used in what we call "spirit ties"as offering to the spiritual entities,and when the Lakota got to the Black Hills,they had to find a substitute,as the original plant wasn't around.
There is a sacred protocol to use of the canunpa(sacred pipe).And please don't refer to it as a "peace pipe"......the idea behind smoking with the other people involved in an agreement or treaty was to cement the promises in a way in which they could never be broken.The smoke from the canunpa went into the hearts of them in agreement,and then,upon exhaling, would rise to the Akitchita,the messengers of the Creator,and they would tell Him of the promises made.
There is a company making a"Powwow Blend",I hear it is tasty.I personally use burley/cansasa mixed in the canunpa.
Respectfully,Tony
Tony,

I have officiated at a few funerals for First Nation families. Very often "sweet grass" will be burned during the ceremony. I noticed that some will mix it with pipe tobacco. I believe I was told that this makes the sweet grass burning ceremony last longer by mixing with the pipe tobacco. The person sits to one side at the front and keeps the mixture going. At some point, the person circles the casket, making sure that the smoke rises as he does this by fanning it with his hand.

Sweetgrass is used to "smudge" an area or object;cedar leaves,sage,or sweetgrass are burned to make "spirits" feel welcome.
I have heard of deertongue somewhere-it may be one of the ingredients in the "Powwow Blend".I am almost sure it is in a pipe tobacco blend I read about on tobaccoreviews.com,too.
Smoked a few weeds in my life-won't smoke anything for pleasure that doesn't have nicotene now.......
Last smoking mix I made up for ceremony was about 50% PA and 50% red willow bark,which(the bark)was sent to me by a friend on Pine Ridge Agency.Believe me-it is not a blend I would ever smoke for pleasure!
LOL there is an outfit called prairieedge.com that carries cansasa(kinnikinik),it is mostly shavings of the flesh of the tree.If it is greenish or white,don't smoke it!
Tony

Tony, Thanks for your posting. As I am Eastern Band Cherokee, I am very proud that you explained the ceremonial pipe and ceremonies. I get very tired of hearing it called a peace pipe and being asked if we smoke "dope" in it. Wado! (Thanks) Muleskinner

Thank you guys for all of the great information. I have the impression from what everyone is saying (and this is probably my misunderstanding) that the pipe was only used during certain ceremonies or get togethers. Did Native Americans have or use just an everyday pipe or blend just for sitting down and relaxing at the end of the day?

mdmiller5":8d7cqr1k said:
Did Native Americans have or use just an everyday pipe or blend just for sitting down and relaxing at the end of the day?
Great question Mike! I am going to do some research and hopefully someone that is more knowledgeable with respond too.

The way it was told to me,personal and communal "social smoking" did happen,but never in the pipes used for the ceremonies.Usually an L-shaped pipe was used,or one made of something other than the sacred pipestone.
I am no real authority on these matters;I only know what has been handed down to me from other "spiritual leaders".I am a spiritual leader in the Native American Church,and am allowed to teach and pour water during the Inipi(sweatlodge)ceremony.I am not a sundancer,medicine man,or anything like that.I am just ikce wicasa(common man)that likes to pour water over hot rocks and watch people squirm! :lol: I have taken care of a canunpa since 1998,and I haven't been as active since I began martial arts training,had two kids ..............
Tony

In Dunhill's "The Pipe Book" there are some pictures of pipes and a chapter devoted to pipes in what he calls "Indian Pipes and Pipe Mysteries". He also refers to the "war" pipe. I haven't read it for a while. I'll have to revisit the chapter.