Herbal mixture.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanJohn

Reaction score
Don't laugh you guys, remember, tobacco is a herb too.
But I have made up a mixture made from a pack of Greengo, with the additiion of some herbal Cherry Shisha.
The Shisha needs to be dried out for a couple of days,as it is sticky and messy and won't light, then mix 50gms to 50 grams of Greengo.
This is a really nice none nicotine tobacco.
It burns well and last a long smoke.

I gave up smoking tobacco 40 years ago, but recently had a hankering to smoke a pipe again, but no nicotine. So came up with this mix.
I am going to try making my own. Let you know how it goes.

Do keep us posted Alan. I my have to cut out vitamin N. I recall a great smoke called "old chippwa streight" a Kinikinic. I have been researching it but no luck so far. I have purchased some kinikinic but was not good, to fine a cut and much red o dw in it.

Well. Lonatree, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with this smoke. I certainly didn't expect it to be so good. But it is the mixing of the El Rosha Cherry Shisha that does the trick. You really need to dry it out first though. Not entirely, but to take the bigger part of the moisture out of it.

You guys might want to check out this site, if you haven't seen it already. I can't vouch for them or anything, but I came across it a while ago while searching for something which I can't quite recall at the moment and thought it looked like a potentially useful site: http://www.herbalsmokecafe.com/loose-smoking-herbs.php

Thanks for the tip Frost. As I live in Britain, I prefere to deal with local firms, but this site does give some good idea for mixing herbs.I have made a mixture up form coltsfoot, mint and hazel leaves,this smokes fine as it is, as colstfoot is known as the poor mans tobacco. But I will mix some herbal shisha with it when I get it in the post.
I'll let you know how it goes.

An update on the home made herbal mixture.
I picked and dried mint leaves and hazel leaves, and mixed them with coltsfoot. thorougly mixed them all, and then adding a teaspon at a time of a mixture of four teaspoons of honey to four table spoons of hot water, to around 20gm at a time of the mixture.
Then adding two 50gm packs of Shisha (shisha is made from a mixture of molasses, bagasse, and glycerine, and in this case, cherry flavouring.) to the herbal mix,mixing well, then spreading it out on paper towels on a windowsill to dry out for a couple of days, turning from time to time.

The results I am very happy with, it really makes a delightful smoke.

A simpler method is to simply buy a 30gm bag of Greengo herbal tobacco, which is pretty good on its own, but then split it in two, and add half the content of a 50gm box of shisha to each half of the Greengo, thoroughly mix, and dry for a couple of days as above.

This mix really does smoke and taste like a fine tobacco.
ps.
Bagasse, is the dried waste product from sugar cane.

This thread has been and interesting read for me - I had not ever really thought of doing an herbal mixture for my smoke.

I envy your living in the UK AlanJohn and your access to local smoke stores. Here in the USA (at least in the St. Louis metro) those firms are a dying breed.

My herbal mixes dont have any nicotine either, but they are very sticky and heavy in THC resins :geek:

As far as shisha...... stems and molasses is what I think it is, ok for hookahs perhaps but wont find it's way into any of my briars. May be low in nicotine, but tar is definitely a lot heavier

CarterHallJunkie":yjitlus9 said:
This thread has been and interesting read for me - I had not ever really thought of doing an herbal mixture for my smoke.

I envy your living in the UK AlanJohn and your access to local smoke stores. Here in the USA (at least in the St. Louis metro) those firms are a dying breed.
Well, don't be envious Carter, I can assure you there are not many around here either. I don't know of one in Swansea, the nearest pipe shop is in Cardiff, a good two hours drive away. You can get tobbacco in any corner shop, but smoking is a great no-no over here. No smoking in any building, unless it's your own. You see groups of people standing outside pubs and superstores having a smoke.
I went to Carmarthen last week, and what used to be a pipe shop, was now a wine shop selling a few pipes, diversification is taking over.

Onabullit. Remember, I have it mixed with a lot of other herbs so I don't see it being that much tar in it, if any. Certainly safer than tobacco. And it smokes and tastes just like tobacco, and has a nice flavour. I can see how it won't be everyones taste, as many smokers like to switch from one tobacco to another, but if you are happy with one kind, then it is fine.

ahhh yes actually ive been wanting to try this on its one in ciggys or a vaporizer, hows it straight?

It's funny Alan - we have a town just minutes from my house named Swansea

ahh the British influence!

onabullit":j6tzv272 said:
ahhh yes actually ive been wanting to try this on its one in ciggys or a vaporizer, hows it straight?
It is fine smoked as it is, I just like to give it flavour by adding Shisha.
What herbal do you smoke?

CarterHallJunkie":mx6cyy74 said:
It's funny Alan - we have a town just minutes from my house named Swansea

ahh the British influence!
It's a small world Carter. Swansea is a city by the way. That's where I was born, but now live around 20 miles from it in the valleys.

AJ, have you tried the Honeyrose herbal mixture, and if so, how does the Greengo compare? I smoked Honeyrose years ago as an herbal cig, and I really didn't like it. The room smelt like scented cat litter for hours afterwards, too.

Doc Manhattan":1zpiadi5 said:
AJ, have you tried the Honeyrose herbal mixture, and if so, how does the Greengo compare? I smoked Honeyrose years ago as an herbal cig, and I really didn't like it. The room smelt like scented cat litter for hours afterwards, too.
No comparison, this actually tastes and smoked lilke tobacco.And it look like tobacco.

Neat! I'm glad they've found a good recipe.

I think it's pretty cool that the tent of pipe smoking can cover herb mixtures that taste like tobacco, but also tobacco that tastes like something completely otherwise. I'm partial to tobaccos that taste like... tobacco mostly, but there's room for everyone at the party.

Interesting stuff. I recall a company that was online some years ago, I'm guessing around 1999-2000, which had a dedicated section of herbal pipe blends. I thought it was a good idea but alas, I tried several of their blends and they were pretty awful, IMO - Very hot burning and biting, and left the pipe smelling of potpourri for days afterward. I think it would be worth pursuing better herbal blends given all the anti-tobacco hysteria, but there seems to be a lack of quality product.

TreverT":568gtnde said:
Interesting stuff. I recall a company that was online some years ago, I'm guessing around 1999-2000, which had a dedicated section of herbal pipe blends. I thought it was a good idea but alas, I tried several of their blends and they were pretty awful, IMO - Very hot burning and biting, and left the pipe smelling of potpourri for days afterward. I think it would be worth pursuing better herbal blends given all the anti-tobacco hysteria, but there seems to be a lack of quality product.
Well, let's not forget that tobacco is in itself a herb, but a herb containing a very dangerous poison, nicotine. I am quite happy with the herbal mixture I have written about earlier...but then again , I am easily pleased, I'm not suggesting it is for everyone.
The pipe is by far the safest way of smoking anything, that's for sure.