Hermit Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Any experience or impressions with the Hermit Tobacco Works offerings (Cpt. Earle series or others). Beyond their 'Vintage Series', they are all apparently blended by C&D. I recently picked up ten tins directly from the Hermit folks at a recent show (Ten Russians, English Atmosphere, Nightwatch, Mystic Blend, etc.) and was wondering if anyone has any impressions to share. I have yet to crack a tin, but may do so if it sounds like it might be worthwhile.

Cheers,

K

Thanks. Indeed I have (and there is not much), but thought I would ask here just in case some folks who have given the line a shot might perhaps elaborate on their impressions in a more conversational manner (the TR site is invaluable, but often terse and unbalanced in ways which a forum such as this is not). Cheers.

Ten Russians is a very nice blend. Smokes cool, good flavor, well worth trying. Nightwatch is dangerous. On the first puff you will hear this little voice, who knows from where, saying, "Scotch......scotch.................................scotch." First thing you know, you'll be sitting drinking scotch and Nightwatch. It's picky, too--doesn't want just any scotch...has to be the "good stuff" (whatever that is for you). The cost of the Nightwatch isn't so bad, it's all the good scotch you have to buy to go with it that is the killer.

I picked up a five tin sampler direct from C&D. they are all very good, and also very similar in taste { those that have Latakia } if I can't decide I usually grab the " Mystic Blend "

the odd one out is " Honor's blend" does'nt have any Lat.

"Captain Earle's Honor Blend is a blend of red virginia, mild cavendish, Turkish and Perique tobaccos. Blended for the connoisseur of seeking an all natural, non latakia blend."

These are all really good smokes, within a week of cracking open the 2 oz tins. I called back to C&D and ordered 8 oz. tins for the cellar.

Many, many thanks for that both of you! I will, in that case, make a concerted effort to crack a tin of both Ten Russians and Mystic Blend sooner than later while saving my sampling of Nightwatch for another time (perhaps when confronted with an abundance of, free I would hope, single malts). Look forward to other impressions, and I will also post some of my own in due course.

That said, any thoughts on the latakia which presents itself in these blends? Do you think it the same as the C&D latakia in their regular Balkan and English offerings (which I have usually found to be a bit drying on the palate), or is it something else? The scotch comment, if not made in total jest, would seem to tell me that there is some sweetness at least in the Nightwatch. This could be interesting if coming from the latakia rather than a stoved VA or another component?

Happy smoking gents!