HEY!!!! Russ Ouellette WTF happened????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave_In_Philly":32usx7wd said:
Dammit, this means I'll have to start paying sales tax on P&C orders.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: That means I won't have to pay the NY 75% tobacco tax + local sales tax. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SORRY DAVE,,,

mark":rowiwjdw said:
Dave_In_Philly":rowiwjdw said:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: That means I won't have to pay the NY 75% tobacco tax + local sales tax. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SORRY DAVE,,,
FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, THANK G_D ALMIGHTY FREE AT LAST!!!!!!!

mark":ccnopykc said:
Dave_In_Philly":ccnopykc said:

SORRY DAVE,,,
Here here!!!

I would venture that the tax situation IS the reason for the move.. I can't remember if it's low or no state taxes in PA but I know they are one of the better states tobacco tax wise..

That's sales tax... Pa levies no tobacco tax on cigars, $1.80 per pack of cigs.. Ny retailers pay 20% of wholesale price on cigars, and $4.35 per pack of cigs (higher in NYC) ...

It's easy to see why a tobacco retailer/producer would want out of NY.

So I haven't read any of the specifics of this deal as yet, but I am a bit concerned that only one of the many Hearth and Home bulks is listed as in stock. Maybe just my own paranoia, but I really hope to see it back in stock soon.

I have been ordering from them regularly since 2006. Never had a any real problems, and in those few rare instances when I did they were fixed straight away. Just hope their great prices (especially the deep discounts on multi-unit orders) stay the same.

Here's what I posted on Pipes Magazine:

There has been some speculation and commentary as to what my future and the future of PipesandCigars will be. I am part of the PipesandCigars family and always will be. PipesandCigars will be better than ever and my responsibilities will be growing exponentially.

What does all this mean for the PipeandCigars.com that customers have grown to love and trust through the years? Well, for starters it means that P&C is now supercharged! It’s fantastic to think that we’ll have even better access to products, the ability to keep the pricing of your favorite products down (in many cases even lower) and that our shipping speeds will be even faster.

When you look from just those 3 points of view I am sure you can understand my excitement for you, the company and myself. This change is still very new to all of us and for the most part we’re still in the planning phase. I simply cannot wait to announce to everyone our plans moving forward, the projects that we are working on, and most importantly, bringing you the finest products on the planet. Up to this point I’ve had small issues regarding supply chain and having to rely on others for many important components of our products. Now, all those limitations having been almost completely lifted, I can’t wait to get at it for you.
Stay Tuned,
Russ Ouellette

Between the tax I did not really know about (Sorry for my ignorance) and the way Mr. Ouellette talks about it I think I finally get it. Like I said before I have ordered from CI and have always been super happy with everything involved in those transactions; so this is a good thing. I kind of get the whole keeping it secret as well, until the time came. I grew up watching and adoring my grandfather, and when he sold his business it was also hush hush until it was time.
This may be a new reason to try some of the Home & Hearth blends that I hear so much about. My OCD requires I do research into these blends now, crap. I hope there is something with enough Latakia to make my smoke room feel like a cozy campfire.

All in all I must apologize for my previous harsh statements. It is your company good Sir and it sounds like you have a solid plan for the future. I'm sorry I questioned any of it as it really wasn't my place to do so.

Thank you Mr. Ouellette for posting that here and putting our collective minds at ease.
Very 8)

After reading the Pipes Magazine article and Russ's post, I am actually quite excited about this, especially because it appears that Russ, blender extraordinaire and a true champion of our hobby if there ever was one, is being given lordly powers over the pipe end of things, which can only mean bigger and better things for all. The forthcoming "Mel’s blends" is likely just the beginning of a lot to come. If there were the equivalent of rock star posters for kapnismologists, and if I were a teenage girl, I'd put the one of Russ right up next to the one of the Dark Lord himself (alongside posters of Alfred Dunhill, Peter Stokkebye, Craig Tarler, the McNeils, et al.; heck I'd probably have one of Carlos Fuente up there too).