HH Pure Virginia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
Just got an email today from Smokingpipes.com on this new offering from MacBaren for the HH line. Anyone had a chance to try this one yet?

Here is the description given.....

Created especially with Virginia lovers in mind, Mac Baren's HH Pure Virginia combines multiple types of bright leaf, both air and flue-cured and aged for some time before beginning production. After being briefly hot pressed, the blend is transferred to a regular press to marry the flavors and form the fine, thin-cut flakes practically synonymous with the brand.

HH Pure Virginia is one of the most highly anticipated blends of the year. We tried it first at IPCPR, and we haven't put it down ever since. As Shane mentioned in his recent review, it's an extremely forgiving blend — providing the a variety of the subtle flavors associated with bright Virginias without any of the usual tongue bite. White pepper, caramel, grassiness, toastiness, citrus zest... it's extremely complex right out of the tin. Just imagine how the blend will progress after a few years.

There are Virginia blends, and then there are pure Virginia blends. Mac Baren's HH Pure Virginia is just that. Pure, unadulterated Virginia tobaccos, specifically designed for Virginia lovers, and available for all to try on the site now in 1.75 and 3.5oz. facings.

Sounds like one that I would normally consider trying, but I gotta say that I am so put off by Mac Baren's price adjustment that I'll probably choose to pass. Instead I'll pay 5 bucks less and and go with a sure fire tin of 2015 Christmas Cheer. ;)

I'm definitely all over this one. I'm very impressed with the latest HH flakes MacBaren has been putting out. ODF and Bold Kentucky are both terrific.

DrumsAndBeer":sv5ksbrj said:
Sounds like one that I would normally consider trying, but I gotta say that I am so put off by Mac Baren's price adjustment that I'll probably choose to pass. Instead I'll pay 5 bucks less and and go with a sure fire tin of 2015 Christmas Cheer. ;)
Yeah, I was doing the math yesterday on 100 gram tin 5 packs. Now it costs over $100 to cellar a 5 pack of MacBaren.

Oh well, it's only money I guess, and as they say, you can't take it with you.

The description intrigues me, but I always find myself disappointed with MacBaren products. Like D&B said, too many other goodies out there.

I'm curious about it but I'm not rushing to place an order. So there.

It's too expensive in my opinion, considering the cheaper alternatives. But, they sent me a tin of Pure Virginia to review. The flakes are dark brown with a few streaks of lighter brown, and smells earthy and grassy, citrusy Virginia sweet. I love the smell of it and will try it this evening. I expect to like it just based on the smell out of the freshly opened tin.

I'm not too worried on price to get one taste it and see tin but after that it matters. However I'm not really buying any new tobacco at all right now. If I was to let temptation get the better of me I'd break down and try the Bold Kentucky before this one. Maybe if I need to pick something up for a bombing I'll grab some and give a brother a shot at something newer. We'll see. I would like to read everyone's comment roll in and I'll keep a lookout for yours, Jim.

JimInks":fz8sxtah said:
It's too expensive in my opinion, considering the cheaper alternatives. But, they sent me a tin of Pure Virginia to review. The flakes are dark brown with a few streaks of lighter brown, and smells earthy and grassy, citrusy Virginia sweet. I love the smell of it and will try it this evening. I expect to like it just based on the smell out of the freshly opened tin.

I'll be looking forward to your review Jim. I love me a good straight 'ginny flake, but I see the price point on this is somewhat higher than others I already enjoy.

Cheers,

RR