HH Rustica

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrT999

Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
Although my cellar is overflowing, when I saw this I gave to the temptation. They arrived today, and being the impatient sort, I cracked a tin.

Nice earthy tin note, and that carries over into the bowl. Taking heed of the hype, I tried it in a Cobbit Shire. Is there N, as advertised? Yes, I guess. It certainly does have a punch, about mid-way between GH Black Irish X and the GH Brown ropes, maybe a bit closer to the brown ropes. The strongest ever? Nah (I wonder how much of the blend is actually Rustica?) Is the flavor strong? Yep, there's a lot of strong, earthy notes, with a bit of spice.

It'll be a while before I'm ready to post a formal review on Tobacco Reviews, but those were my first impressions. I thought I'd post them in case there are those wondering about pulling the trigger.

If any are interested, JimInks has a review up, and here is the smoking pipes video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RLoNhj-QYhk" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

ftrplt":mkp384y6 said:
DoverPipes":mkp384y6 said:
On the list for new baccy to try... :king:
Hey DP!!! Haven't heard from you in a while!!! :cheers: FTRPLT
Been laying low but still lurking around here.
Long story..... :affraid:

I bought a tin of this one too. I couldn't resist the history aspect of it. Not usually a big McBaren fan, but I'll give it a go.

I have yet to light it up but I finally got it in a jar last night.

Great review, Doc! I dig it, and like you don't think it's nearly as potent as advertised. Which I don't mind at all, as it means bigger bowls! Since it's a little monochromatic I've been mixing it half and half with Solani Aged Burley Flake--best pairing I've found for either.

Thanks for the notes, I was tempted by this one....still on the fence. I dont really go for the high nic blends, so good to hear maybe its not so much of a bell ringer

If you have a favorite blend, but would like to give it a bit of a nicotine kick, you can buy unblended straight blending Nicotiana Rustica from Leaf Only. With shipping via USPS, four ounces of leaf is about $10.00. While nicotiana rustica does have a huge nicotine "bump" it smokes quite mild and is almost invisible in a blend.
"Whereas most types of tobacco are of the species Nicotiana tabacum and have from 1%-3% nicotine, this Nicotiana Rustica leaf often comes in around 9%. In other words, it is an entirely different species of tobacco, and it can be up to 9 times stronger. This makes for a great pesticide."

Im a pansy! I smoke a bowl of Rustica and while it didnt get my nicotin sickness, I get really bad heartburn and felt off for an hour! Never happens....its strong for me o_O

2021 edition is back in stock at Smoking Pipes and others.
Here's an interesting article:The History of Nicotiana Rustica by Andrew Wike
and

References:

1. Cotton, Lee Pelham. Tobacco: The Early History of a New World Crop (1998, February). The National Parks Service.
  2. Encyclopedia Virginia staff. Domesticated Plants in Early Virginia Indian Society. (2014, May 30). In Encyclopedia Virginia.
  3. Mac Baren staff. History of Tobacco. Mac Baren.
  4. Salmon, E. J., & Salmon, J. Tobacco in Colonial Virginia. In (2013, January 29) Encyclopedia Virginia.

Nicotiana Rustica can be up to 9 times stronger than Nicotiana tabacum."
"Nicotiana tabacum have from 1%-3% nicotine, while Nicotiana Rustica often comes in around 9%."

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some grower hasn't hybridized the strain to increase the nicotine level even higher if it's intended use is as a pesticide.
I confess to having smoked a tiny bit, unblended, and after inhaling one draw got very woozy; never again. I do have 4 oz. on order for blending.

If you have a favorite blend, but would like to give it a bit of a nicotine kick, you can buy unblended straight blending Nicotiana Rustica from Leaf Only. With shipping via USPS, four ounces of leaf is about $10.00. While nicotiana rustica does have a huge nicotine "bump" it smokes quite mild and is almost invisible in a blend.
My 4 oz. arrived today. It's my third 4 oz. order from Leaf Only and, so far, this order has the nicest looking leaf.

Last night I was tempted to smoke some of the Rustica, straight from the ziplock from which it arrived. The last fraction of my common sense intervened and I just incorporated some in my usual English blend. There was a very pronounced hit of nicotine; much more than I'd previously encountered. Either this batch of Rustica has more nicotine or I simply put too much in the mix. It didn't make for nausea, but I did get quite light headed. I almost felt drunk.

My tin arrived today. Since I haven't smoked much these past two years and have just started up again with a few pipes a week, I might build up some more tolerance before I dive right in. Or should I just buck up, pack it, and hope it doesn't put me out?