Hi from Alberta!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HistoryMajor

Reaction score
Hey

I've heard good things about this place from around the internet, and after a hefty period of lurking I figured I may as well join up.

So...don't have a whole lot to say...I'm attending the University of Alberta in Edmonton, completing a Combined Honors Degree in History and Political Science, with the intention of doing Graduate studies. My particular area of interest in History is (for lack of a better term) American Imperialism, essentially how the United States has come to dominate the economic, political and military sectors of the world.

As for political science, I tend to lean towards Libertarian social ideals, and I have a great deal of interest in the liberties afforded/restricted by the government, and the development of a more and more controlling state. Also I enjoy the regional tensions prevalent in Canada that often define government policy. Despite all that that I have a good deal of faith in government to (generally) do good...so I'm not an anarchist in that sense. Not yet, anyhow. :twisted:

Anyways, nice to be around, I hope to enjoy my time here!

Tyler

Welcome Tyler! Sounds like you may be in for some lively debates around here (which is always encouraged). :lol:

Welcome to the BoB forum, History Major -- By the way, great avatar!

Yo, JP & TJ...

Looks like someone is warming up in the wings for ya. ;)

Been lurking for a while, so he knows what he's in for and ain't a-skeered. :twisted:

As we used to say in the Corps, "Stand by to stand by!" :lol:

American Imperialism is a curriculum in Canada?

Oh good! Pull up a soap box.

Welcome.

Heh, no, I wish though. It's more a topic that comes up in the study of American politics and history, especially from a Canadian perspective since ideas such as Manifest Destiny contributed so directly to the Confederation of Canada...

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Do you smoke Mixture 79 in a meerschaum lined full bent apple like my college American History Professor? Very first lecture, he said, "The "settlers" brought to America, Christianity, Art, Culture and syphilis."

"Canadian Perspective?" They teach it is Manifest Destiny, up there?

Just kidding!

Welcome, again.

Capo di tutti capi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ugly American.

Enjoy your stay here at BoB. I think you'll find it less restrictive that some other forums as there is literally a place for everything here. Dock & Co have done a fine job of putting together a usable forum for adults and it seems to work. Visit often.

You'll graduate just in time to help carry out the post-mortem on American Imperialism.

Welcome aboard Tyler! I am a student of history but only as a hobbiest.

Welcome!
Come on into the Rubber room :bounce: :face:
Light up & have some fun. :pipe:

Welcome aboard, History Major - looks to me as though we share similar views of the world, amazing! From the responses I've gotten so far, it looks as though I'll be spending a fair amount of time in the 'Rubber Room'

Welcome aboard Tyler!! I am determined to get up your way sometime before I become History myself. I really want to go to Banff and Jasper. Sasquatch on this board tells me that it has become too commercialized. Too bad that but I'm coming up anyway. I'll just try to ignore the Japanese tourists.

. I really want to go to Banff and Jasper.
I highly recommend it...if Banff is too commercialized for you when you arrive, spend some time in Canmore. It's about 30 km (what that is in miles, I have no idea) East, and is a very beautiful old mining town situated in a valley.

As for Jasper, I can't think of anything negative to say about it. Simply one of the most beautiful places I've seen in this country.