Hi from Ireland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jers

Reaction score
Hi guys - I thought I would take the time to say hello and whilst introducing myself take the opportunity to pick your brains.

I have recently retired and in working my way through a bucket list took up pipe smoking and.....I love it, love it, love it!

I've enjoyed every second of smoking my pipes although on occasions my tounge has held a differing view. I started with a Peterson Churchwarden and various aromatics (including Mac Baren Vanilla Cream) and am currently armed with two other Petersons (a Royal Irish Rosslare 221 and a Kildare 03) combined with Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice.

Any advice from you more experienced brothers would be gratefully received.

Fraternally

Jers

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here

Sounds like you've a nice little collection of Peterson pipes! Off to a great start!

As far as tobacco, around here you'll get a million suggestions... In fact, you'll never run out of blends to try!

I'd say keep working through the Peterson brand blends! Irish Oak, University flake, Irish flake, Old Dublin... They offer a bit of every style blend so it's a good way to find out what types of tobacco you enjoy before venturing out into the WIDE, WIDE world of pipe tobacco!

Enjoy! And stop by often :cheers:

Welcome aboard, Jers. I think you're the second Irishman to join this week! I just love those Pete Rosslares. I second Shane's (s.ireland) suggestion for Peterson tobaccos. They make above average blends of all the basic styles. That would be a good introduction without overwhelming yourself with all the available options.

Hi Jers,

As George and Shane suggest, work through the Peterson tobaccos. Great stuff.

Definitely try the university flake - its a cracking smoke.

All the best,

Jason.

Welcome, Jers! I hope you enjoy your time here, and all the advice you're about to get!

"T"

Welcome! Good to have you. Have fun trying all the different tobaccos. The joy is in the journey!

Really nice welcome brothers and many thanks for the advice.

Jers

Thanks Gravel.

I'm stuck with this mornings first difficult decision - Peterson's Connoisseur or dive into the new tin of Pete Special 2012 Reserve? I've been sniffing the special reserve and I think I want to eat it never mind smoke it...........

Fraternally

Jers

Welcome to the BoB forums Jers. Great to have you aboard! :D

Thanks Dutch - much appreciated.

BTW what a fantstic profile pic - that guy just demands respect!

Fraternally

Jers

Kelhammer":uzdl4ujq said:
Welcome to bob. Smoke what you like, just smoke it slowly.

Andy
Welcome to BoB. And enjoy your time here. As for tongue bite that you are getting like was said in this one ^^ smoke slowly. Glad to have you on board and keep us posted on the tongue bite, we all go through it to start and eventually find our way of smoking and enjoying. Hope to see you aroung the boards.

Welcome Jers, there's a lot of Peterson fans out here, myself being one. It's nice to have you join us.

Kaiser, Doc - thanks for the welcome guys.

I am definitely taking the advice for slower smoking - I have found it much more enjoyable to smoke a pipe slowly and it is indeed kinder on the tounge. I think the inital tounge damage was done during the first week or so of smoking, when panicking that my pipe was going out I would hastily puff on it like I was trying to bring a golf ball through a length of garden hose. The Peterson 'p' lip on my Kildare has also helped give my mildly scorched tounge a much needed rest.

Fraternally

Jers

Welcome Brother! As you can see much good advice can be found here. Some good advice I learned early on was to take it slow. When I smoked my first pipe that was given to me by my Uncle, I had a tendancy to really puff it way to hard. I wanted to get the most out of the smoke as quick as possible, which usually resulted in some pretty bad toungue bite. The best advice my Uncle gave me was that pipe smoking should be something that allows you to sit back, slow down, and allow you to relax and enjoy some down time. He always said that you should always sip your pipe. Just like a fine wine. Tobacco is a personal choice. Find one you like, sit back, sip your pipe and enjoy your smoke. Life is good. :)

Banjo - thanks for the welcome and really great advice. ‘..sip your pipe.Just like fine wine.’ That is perfectly worded - your Uncle clearly knew a thing or two.

Thanks again for the mentoring and I note that we share a common philosophy.....life is good!

Fraternally

Jers