Hi Smokers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rompin Donkey

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As you can see I have been lurking here for quite some time. I have been smoking a pipe for 35 years off and on (mostly on). Until about three years ago I smoked mainly British "staples", St Bruno, Erinmore, Condor etc. I now smoke a wide range of baccys (brought to my attention by the internet). My main preferences are flakes, twists and plugs. If really pressed I would have to say Velvan Plug is my favourite - but really I just love tobacco, especially SG and G&H blends.

Anyway - looking forward to many happy hours ahead.

Alan :pipe:

Welcome,
And glad to see in your avatar that the sun is shining. Not so here in the Northeast. :cry: :cry:

Welcome aboard Alan! Nice to see someone else spell there name Alan. My middle name is Alan with the same spelling.

Rompin Donkey":cit7uv9b said:
I now smoke a wide range of baccys (brought to my attention by the internet).
Welcome!!

Ain't the internet evil? Before discovering these pipe sites my annual pipe and tobacco budget was a couple o Grabows and a few ounces of Tinderbox whatchamacallit blend. Shoot, if I'd never found these miscreants here I'd be driving a Mercedes instead of a Dodge :lol:

Justpipes":cit7uv9b said:
My middle name is Alan.
I'd have figured it had to be Walnut :!:

Welcome, Alan. I smoked a pipe for about ten years, many many years ago, and got by with about six pipes and one tobacco. I just started smoking them again a couple of months ago. I now have 27 pipes and 23 blends of tobacco. Let me tell you friend, I'm helping the national economy at the sacrifice of my own. Hope you have more restraint than most of the rest of us. :lol!:

A warm welcome Alan.... seems with those Lakeland blends, you need to connect with Pipetongue.

:D Paul

Puff Daddy":4dambnme said:
Justpipes":4dambnme said:
My middle name is Alan.
I'd have figured it had to be Walnut :!:
Actually I was originally named after John Middleton but due to the notoriety I had to go down to the court house and change it once I became an adult. :D

:lol!:

If I ever become an adult I may change my name too :afro: Apparently some guy is making records under my name :lol!:

Oddly, people do not stop me on the street thinking I am him :scratch:

Puff Daddy":3pgll1e9 said:
If I ever become an adult I may change my name too :afro: Apparently some guy is making records under my name :lol!:

Oddly, people do not stop me on the street thinking I am him :scratch:
According to my wife I am only an adult in number of years! :lol: Who wants to grow up anyway? :D

You mean P-Diddy isn't paying you royalties?! :shock:

Justpipes":usfn2lao said:
You mean P-Diddy isn't paying you royalties?! :shock:
He wants me to pay him. You know, the whole Obama thing - finally gettin what you deserve from the 'Cracker'. I sent him a box of Ritz. I'd say we're even.

A warm welcome from the land that gave you tobacco to the land that gave us the Beatles and our language.

Hi Alan,
Welcome, we seem to have some things in common. I am another Brit who has just joined this board and I also have spent most of my life smoking the English staples (Condor, Bruno etc.) even though I have lived out of the UK for the last 25 years (now in France). Like you I recently discovered the Internet and have been at a tobacco tasting event ever since. Really pleasently surprised to have discovered how many superb tobaccos are made in the US (especially the Burleys).

Funny how things change. I used to dread going to the US on business and yet now compared to Europe the US is a smoker's paradise. I still visit my family in the North of England regularily and find the attitude to tobacco in the UK is turning into a national pyschosis. How do you manage to continue smoking these days ?

BTW did you ever smoke any Three Nuns Empire Blend (the yellow round tin, not the brown square one). I think it has disappeared and am wondering if there are any erzatz versions around.

All the best,
TG