High Octane

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakki

Reaction score
As a heavy cigarette smoker, I find myself needing a bit more nicotine "kick" than I'm getting from the pipe. I'd like to hear about your favorite HO tobacs. Information like availability, taste and aroma/room note would also be highly appreciated!

Here are my favorites:

Peterson's Irish Flake: quite stout in strength, outstanding full bodied natural tobacco taste, no bite, moderately tolerable room note, though some say it smells like cigarettes. This is a very good quality and highly regarded blend. Availability: very easy to find.

SG 1792 Flake: also very strong, but VERY different, for this one is flavored with tonquin. (ie "Lakeland" in flavor profile) I really like this one, though only occasionally. I believe it is a blend of virginias and orientals. Robust in strength, though not quite as full flavored as IF. Room note is... different, probably not going to be a big hit with non puffers. But it is very tasty, quite satisfying, and very unique, especially if you are not familiar with the tonquin flavored tobaccos. On that note, I am not a big fan of most other Lakeland style of tobaccos, but for me, this one is a home run. Availability: Spotty. Can be hard to get SG products, as I believe they only ship twice per year to retailers. (correct me Brothers if I am wrong on this)

Both of these tobaccos are extremely high in nicotine content; many pipers consider them just a bit too strong. But if you are a cigarette smoker, they may just be the ticket for you. Let us know how your journey down the tobacco road turns out!

Oh ya, if you can find it, Dunhill Royal Yacht, though not quite as strong in nic as the other two I mentioned, is still very strong, and very good. But it's hard to find, and some people HATE it. (it has a mild topping, but I like it) Room note: "Horrific." (My wife's take on it!)

Thanks, Trout Bum! I actually have a tin of Irish Flake here I haven't opened yet. That will be my next tobacco to try.

Pinkerton's Five Brothers should fit the bill. A strong Burley shag with plenty of birdseye for that added kick.

Where do you find the 5 bros Kap, if I may ask? I can't seem to find anywhere that carries it. I have heard tell that it is available in 30 pouch cases or some such thing, but have not been able to figure out where?

Frost":hgbpjykm said:
Where do you find the 5 bros Kap, if I may ask? I can't seem to find anywhere that carries it. I have heard tell that it is available in 30 pouch cases or some such thing, but have not been able to figure out where?
http://www.pipetobaccotls.com/page04.html

I have ordered from the guy a few times with no problems, he is a well-known poster on Smoker's Forum (it is through the liquor store he manages, so your card will be charged to that store). The 12-pouch carton is the way to go. $35 shipped, from the same town where it is made.

That reminds me ... about time to order another carton.

Dakki my man, so we share something in common here!!
C&D, Safe harbor flake, Old Joe Krantz. (burley)
GLP Laurel Heights (va) all have some serious hard hitting vitamin N.
I smoke these 3 when I feel like a hard hit!!!!

Nice!

Thanks for all the suggestions, gentlemen. Please keep 'em coming!

Another shout out for Old Joe Krantz. And, it you'd like a good, earthy Vaper - C&D Bayou Morning (the Va brother of OJK).

FWIW, on a scale of 1 - 10, I'd rate the nicotine level of the following blends: (copied from post in "Tobacco Reviews)

13. Tambolaka
10. GH Brown Ropes
9. Dark Flake, Dark Plug
7. Irish Flake, Bracken Flake ('03/'05)

Dakki":iq1uvtzm said:
Nice!

Thanks for all the suggestions, gentlemen. Please keep 'em coming!
Dakki,
Was just thinking of you. Just finished up a bowl of OLD JOE KRANTZ...........
Dang bro, double dare you ............. inhale it!!!!!!!!!!!!! phew!

LOL! I'll inhale that if you inhale some of the Tambolaka Alfredo suggested.

I need to get some of that, even if it's just to see if it really is that strong!

Dakki":j26ik209 said:

I need to get some of that, even if it's just to see if it really is that strong!
No Muff to Tuff Bro!!!!!!!!!!! :lol!:

The nic hit of Tambolaka can at times be brutal. But then again when I first started smoking the GH brown ropes, I thought that the nic content was as powerful an element as their taste. But over the years I've acclimatized to that level of nicotine; but as much a powerhouse that Tambolaka is, I wonder if such acclimatization will ever occur with it.

Dakki":zlbf9st2 said:

I would like to try it too just to see what it packs in its punch.