Hit me a Dark Birdseye w a Brown Boggie n call me a whimp!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
I'd recently got an oz of Dark Birdseye to refresh my memory. I also had several ounces of G&H Happy Brown Boggie for cellaring in '09, some of which I gave out but kept the rest in case I did end up liking it. Not sure why I ordered it in the first place, probably because of the "rope" novelty.

Anyway after a nice chicken lunch, I loaded my small dublin with DBE and a documentary on the Greeks.

HOLY FRAK did this stuff hit me right in the back of my throat. DBE was harsh from the get go. I smoked 1/4 a bowl before dumping the rest. I did not enjoy it at all. There was a SMALL hint of the lakeland essence but it quickly ducked in the back seat as the tobacco came rushing in. It wasn't complex but it isn't for the faint of heart. I even slooowwed down my puffing but that didn't work. So there went one side of manhood.

I waited about 45 minutes until I decided to try the rope. I shave with disposable straight razors, so it came in handy when slicing off the coins. Wasn't too moist or dry. I felt this may be better. I've been having success with the "McGrane" filling method and kept with that.
The boggie wasn't harsh and didn't hit me. It was OK. It was hard to keep lit though. It was also a very simple blend. Nothing interesting about it. Definitly a tobacco taste but that's it. I was able to finish this bowl without too many relights.

This was an hour ago. I'm now nauseated beyond words. I feel sick like I had bad food, which I thought was the case until I read up on these two blends. I guess I have a weaker stomach for the N bomb.

I won't be getting any more of these blends and will be sending out what I have now.

Yeah I love the dark, harsh, high nicotine stuff for some reason. Don't get queezy but get a bit of the throat tickle. But I love the earthy flavor, very warm.

Sorry you didn't like it. I am trying to like the latakia, not giving up on it, but it isn't wowing me.

rev

The Trifecta! I love the Dark Birdseye, I love Latakia and I also love Lakeland Essences (And I am talking the supreme granny panties stuff). :p That said, I didn't get any essence from the DB-eye.

BB, I found that with Dark Birdseye, Dark Flake, 1792, any of the ropes and most of all the HO stuff, it pays to stay ahead of the potential oncoming case of the queezies. I do this by smoking slowly & using a small 1/2-3/4 packed pipe. I have also found that the back of the throat feeling is usually the first sign of your body trying to tell you that it's time to put the pipe down for a few.

Over doing it on nicotine is one of the worst feelings I have ever experienced.

DrumsAndBeer":s5knec0s said:
The Trifecta!
You rang? :D I must say I haven't tried either of these blends, nor have I sampled the (ahem) "supreme granny panties" blends. Latakia is however my dark mistress and I love her to an almost unsavory degree. I too have experienced the infamous nicotine sickness and it is assuredly no fun. I haven't had it for some years now (thank all that's holy) but I definitely sympathize.

I also enjoy balkan and oriental blends. red rapparee was a joy to smoke compared to this.

I've smoked HOs daily for about 8 years. I got so that I didn't want to smoke normal strength tobacco; but I changed my mind when I found that I was denying myself a world of flavor. My throat doesn't get tickly, nor do I have any queezies. In my opinion however a full-bodied cigar is another thing. Now I like having smoke come out of my ears, but I don't savor that sudden, telltale feeling in my stomach that I had better put the cigar down, and I mean DOWN! Two or three puffs more and I'd regret it. I get a warning, but not much:).

alfredo_buscatti":q7zeqhuw said:
In my opinion however a full-bodied cigar is another thing.
Yep. Exactly the last culprit to REALLY do me in. It was a Cuba Libre One. That sucker packed a punch.

A bit of sugar can help reign in the dreaded nic-poisoning effects.

If I get the signs coming on, a small tsp of sugar slowly dissolved under the tongue seems to always help. Other posters have noted eating chocolate or a sugary soft drink.

And put the pipe down until the throat feeling goes away. This has worked for me anyways.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":k9zf8jso said:
A bit of sugar can help reign in the dreaded nic-poisoning effects.

If I get the signs coming on, a small tsp of sugar slowly dissolved under the tongue seems to always help. Other posters have noted eating chocolate or a sugary soft drink.

And put the pipe down until the throat feeling goes away. This has worked for me anyways.

Cheers,

RR
When I get that first warning, I set the pipe down and drink whatever is on hand: usually cranberry or apple juice. YMMV

Bent, I hate to laugh, but it's kind of funny. If we haven't all, at one time or another, pushed the envelope...mine was with Jackknife Plug. I felt the effects for 24 hours afterward. :lol:

Happy Brown Bogie is mighty tasty stuff, but it is quite the high octane (HO). With flavor comes great responsibility! :lol:

Can't wait for our Brown Pigtail to come in! :cheers: I haven't heard anything from Mr. Rutt, yet.

8)

Got my first taste of what Dark Birdseye offers. It started reminding me of ODF with a hint of sweetness. Then it went it's own way. Now, I was busy with a couple of Fat Tire beverages, so I had a slight buzz, but the bowl sent me over the top. Went right to water, ate an avocado, more water, and placed a piece of dark chocolate in my mouth. Then slooooowly finished the bowl..

Better.

The second bowl was significantly smaller. Right before bed. Much better effects... This is no light Ginny!:lol!: