Ho, Ho, Ho!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Santa is going to be good to my dainty little wife this year.

She’s wanted one of these for as long as I can remember...
which some days is about two ad a half minutes. 😀

Anyway, behold her new Walther PPK/S...made in Germany...custom G10 Ivory grips. A guy in Texas does ‘em.

BE8DAC3D-0675-454E-AF31-548CDEA4534C.jpeg

31734936-B676-48E0-8CE8-B98A01B88531.jpeg

I don’t think they make the PPK/S in 9mm. Just 32 ACP, 380 ACP ( which is the 9mm Kurz) and 22 LR.

As this is essentially my wife’s first gun I bought her the 22 LR. It’s cheap to shoot, very manageable revrecoil and about half the cost of the 380 ACP. I think all of them are the same dimensions and weight.

Man, I must’ve watched fifty YouTube vids on 22 LR rounds testing penetration in every situation from ballistic gel, layers of heavy denim + cow parts, doors, drywall, etc., etc., etc. In standard FBI gel tests a 22 LR performs just fine as a defensive round if you’re shooting at someone facing you. Yes, the hollow point opens a bit more and a solid goes in further and the frag rounds break up and do terrible things. Someone who knows how to use a 22 LR pistol could put 10 rounds center mass...and I sure wouldn’t want it to be me they were shooting.

But far better to avoid trouble. Always.

Lucky wife and lucky you for having a wife who appreciates the finer things in life. PPK is an awesome little pistol, I have one in .380. I have thought about getting the .22 a few times but never yet pulled the trigger.

Cool. You’d find a familiar friend in the 22LR PPK/S. Apparently they are exactly identical in both dimensions and weight (to the 10th of an ounce). I even got one of the CO2 versions (.177 BB’s) so she could practice at essentially zero cost (comparatively). Even the Umarex made CO2 pistol is a match re dimensions, etc.

Appreciate the walther for its history and the quality of its workmanship, but the few I tried did not have the smooth trigger pull I have come to enjoy. Have a sig 365 that I really like. Wife likes it too and can put 10 rounds center mass at 10 yds. May have to buy her her own, lol.

My Son just purchased the Sig 365 and he really likes it. It has become his every day carry pistol. I am partial to the Springfield XD-40 sub-compact. My wife likes her Bersa 380. Probably not as smooth as the Walter but for the lack of a better term a Walter clone.

Cool. I have a Springfield XD-40 SubC too. It’s also my main piece. I have the utmost respect for the 40 S&W. I think it’s as close to the perfect duty round as there is. For the military the 9mm makes more sense. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Anyway...In a slightly different world I would gladly own and use a Bersa Thunder. I might get one of their high capacity 380’s some day. The only issue with them is they’re not a Walther PPK/S. LOL. No, really...It’s like having some super nice 1911 45 ACP vs having a COLT 1911...etc.

I've been hankering for a 38 snubby wheel gun but 38 ammo is oos everywhere and has been for months. I also favor the Ruger SP101 which is chambered in 357 mag but also takes 38 loads. Saw a very nice one at a gun show here last year and should have snagged it at $450. Now they're like $700!

Cheers,

RR

Believe it or not but Taurus makes some nice 38/357 snubbies. About a year ago I purchased a new one at a local Phoenix gunshop for a little over $300 if memory serves me correctly. He had them on sale. Maybe not as smooth or refined as a Smith and Wesson but just as reliable IMHO.

Believe it or not but Taurus makes some nice 38/357 snubbies. About a year ago I purchased a new one at a local Phoenix gunshop for a little over $300 if memory serves me correctly. He had them on sale. Maybe not as smooth or refined as a Smith and Wesson but just as reliable IMHO.

Yes I've noticed that. However with the lack of 38 ammo there's little incentive to get one right now.

Cheers,

RR

Regarding concealed carry or simply open carry. You must be carefully certain of a couple of critical things, according to two of my friends who are judges. In some jurisdictions if you fire your weapon, perceiving threat, and you hit a bystander, you may be criminally charged. Be absolutely certain that the person carrying can ascertain real threat to person (NOT PROPERTY!) In many jurisdictions shooting a thief, not on your property, who presents no physical threat to you is a criminal act. Do not put a firearm in the hands of a person who may have it taken from them. (Many handguns taken from gang bangers were taken by force from dainty little wives who really didn't want anyone to get hurt.
Locally, in the last few days, one of my friends had to preside over this case. A fellow in a wealthy suburb of St. Paul looked out his front window and saw what he thought was a thief removing a package from in front of his door. He grabbed his firearm, threw open the door, and wounded the alleged thief. Turns out, it was a mistaken delivery that the driver was going to correct. The shooter's liability insurance company, within days, cut the wounded a check for $1-million, the maximum of the policy. My friend had to decide if the criminal charges filed should stand or if on appeal they'd be dismissed.

Interesting. So far as I know laws, regulations, etc. pertaining to concealed carry are a state by state thing. Some states are as tight as the UK or OZ (where it’s very very tight) while others are less restrictive.

I totally agree. A long time ago to get a concealed carry license in Arizona (when I got mine) it was a two day course that explained in detail with a lot different scenarios to give examples of when you could draw a firearm and/or shoot. You also had to show that you knew how to shoot and clean a firearm. When you were granted a license they even certified you with the weapon you took the course with. There were about twenty people in the class to include two woman. The instructors ended up failing one older gentleman due to his attitude and thought process on when and who you could shoot. The instructors didn't want to take responsibility for his actions if he shot someone. To renew was a one day course that went over the laws. Now its just send in your renewal fee.