Ho, Ho, Ho!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. So far as I know laws, regulations, etc. pertaining to concealed carry are a state by state thing. Some states are as tight as the UK or OZ (where it’s very very tight) while others are less restrictive.
Keep these two words in mind: "judicial discretion." If a judge rules against you, and you appeal, you'd better have thousand$ and a phenomenal attorney.

Hmmm. That seems a rather dire perspective. I think 99.999% of the gun toting population will never encounter a situation in which they would be forced, not in their own home, to use their gun against anyone.

Unfortunately, many people now buying guns are not getting the proper training. As an NRA certified instructor I taught CCW classes in CA. I also taught an NRA program called women on target geared to women with little or no gun handling experience. I found the older women to be better learners than many of the men in the ccw classes who thought they already knew everything. Just being able to hit the target does not necessarily equate to good judgement on the use of a firearm. As a Ranger we trained vigorously in use of force however there were still those guys who would either jump the gun or hesitate when lethal force was justified and necessary. This showed up when we did FAST (firearms simulation training) with the Chino Valley PD. A bit scary. As armed, badged, law enforcement auxillary I was always more concerned with the possibility of hitting an innocent bystander than how tight my groups were. I can live with taking a life when justified. Not sure i could accept injuring or killing an innocent person. A potential that cops live with every day.

I have the SA XD compact in 40 but never carried it. Used to carry a Glock 26 9mm. But the p365 blows it away. Easy to carry and conceal, light weight, controllable, and accurate as any compact gun I have ever fired.
Brewdude, suggestion. There are several good snubby wheelguns out there, the sp101, s&w 637, 38 not 357, but light and accurate. And taurus does make a decent gun, not pretty but reliable. However, I might suggest going online and searching for an older ruger security six. Slightly larger than the 101, but very comfortable to carry and shoot. And they are built like tanks. If you can find one with the 2&1/4 barrel in good condition for less than $450/500, jump on it. I have the 4" barrel and it will hit golf balls at 25 yds. 38/357 ammo will come back eventually as there are so many out there who have them. I won't make you cry by telling you I am sitting on a little over 2k rounds, lol. Well guess I just did, but, don't give up yet.

I have the SA XD compact in 40 but never carried it. Used to carry a Glock 26 9mm. But the p365 blows it away. Easy to carry and conceal, light weight, controllable, and accurate as any compact gun I have ever fired.
Brewdude, suggestion. There are several good snubby wheelguns out there, the sp101, s&w 637, 38 not 357, but light and accurate. And taurus does make a decent gun, not pretty but reliable. However, I might suggest going online and searching for an older ruger security six. Slightly larger than the 101, but very comfortable to carry and shoot. And they are built like tanks. If you can find one with the 2&1/4 barrel in good condition for less than $450/500, jump on it. I have the 4" barrel and it will hit golf balls at 25 yds. 38/357 ammo will come back eventually as there are so many out there who have them. I won't make you cry by telling you I am sitting on a little over 2k rounds, lol. Well guess I just did, but, don't give up yet.

Yes the Ruger SP101 appeals to me a lot, but not at $700. I should have snagged the one I saw at the Phoenix gun show for $450 but that was well over a year ago. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

I've got a Taurus 38 Police Special and do have some ammo for it, range stuff. But it's far too large and heavy for a carry piece. I keep it stashed for home defense. I'll look around for a Ruger Security Six with a 2.25 barrel. Ruger has a great rep for reliability.

There's a used Taurus 38 snubby locally available on Armslist but I will not sign up for their membership as it seems to be a perpetual thing. I'd only want to join for this one purchase, say one month. But they don't offer that feature.

As far as the 38 ammo availability there doesn't seem to be anyway of knowing when things will improve. I've asked. In the meantime I'm stocking up on 9mm.

Cheers,

RR

I can and do reload all of the different calibers I own (rifle and pistol) and reloading supplies are getting more and more hard to come by: powder, cases, bullets and primers. I pour my own lead bullets for my 45 colt, 45-70 and 45-90 rifles and even lead is getting expensive.

Sweet looking little pistol! The ivory grips really set it off, particularly for a "lady"!
Ooooo. And I just noticed that the new grips I ordered from the same guy for MY Walther are Out For Delivery right now! They should look OK. See vendor’s pic below...

1BACE2BA-33BF-4BA3-8AB5-0E528A9B5973.jpeg

They’re Padauk Wood.