Holding pipe in Mouth

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Sorry guys...lots of queries today:

I am worried that if I hold my larger pipes in mouth the stems will get "toothy"..Am I doing somehting wrong or are there some pipes ( such as my Peterson #80s) that are just not really meant to walk around with in mouth?

My Bewlay I just got is great, light as a feather...and it got me thinking...i really did not have a comforatble pipe until now for work. Am I doing somehting wrong again?

My large, heavy pipes are for the front or back porch. When I have time to fondle a nice pipe. My light pipes for for clenching while typing in the hamshack at the computer. At least for me.

I do have a couple of heavy pipes that I smoke when I am sitting. I did put some of those rubber things on the stems of my heavier pipes. That seems to help me when I clench.

Hi Davey.
Your peterson 80s isent a very heavy pipe so you should be able to carry it between your teeth with out any problem.How ever if your a clencher then you should get the rubber protectors to place at the end of your stem to provent teeth marks.

Alan.

So,

it isn't just me then..meaning that in order to hold say, and 80s, I would have to clench hard enough to get some teeth marks perhaps over time?

I'll second oldtimer about the rubber bit covers (or what ever their called?). I put them on most of my pipes, and some I've smoked for almost two decades and when I pull them off, the stem looks like new. I find they last about 6 months, then tend to split and fall apart. Besides, when I'm stressed about something, they become a comforting nookie/ pacifier and no one knows the better!

Natch

Davey,

Try using rubber pipe bits. I use them on all of my pipes except my corn cobs. I love them. Not only will they save your stems but they are much easier on the teeth. I have heard some people complain that the bits taste funny but I can't tell it. They are tasteless to me. You can trim them to suit your needs or at least that is what I do.

What is the difference, and where can I find them, bro?

Some B&M's (tobacco shops) I have been in have them but lately I have been ordering them from WV Smokeshop online. http://www.wvsmokeshop.com/

They are great folks to deal with and they have the best price on John Middleton Walnut anywhere around.

I think they are all talking about the same things. Bit protectors they may be called? Pipe rubbers?

My bits don't really get "toothy," as in tooth depressions, but they do get scratches. I'm not a clencher so I don't worry too much about it.

One potential downside to the rubbers is that they make the bit thicker between your teeth and maybe less comfortable to clench. Or maybe not.

showme

Day,

That's what I keep on my pipes. I found some on Ebay a while back. I think they're called "pipe bit protectors."

I don't notice any taste either.

Lucky

Justpipes WV source is the cheapest I've seen. I usually order about a half dozen packages (12 protectors) at a time when I'm ordering some tobaccos from various shops. At fifty cents each, it's a cheap investment.

I also find Justpipes comment about not putting them on his cobs interesting, as I rather dislike the feel of those el cheapo plastic bits you get with your MMs, and much prefer the bit protectors, though they are a bit loose on those small bits most cobs have. Once, while canoing a particularly rough stretch of Archie's Fork coming out of the Boston Mountains (Southern flank of the Ozark Plateau) I was tired of constantly having to take out and secure my cob whenever we hit a level two or greater rapids, so I thought to myself, "self; you've got one of those nifty bit protectors on the end of this pipe, just clinch down a bit harder, turn the bowl upside down (an old English trick for smoking in the rain) and you can puff your way through those itty-bitty haystacks". Well, around the next six bends or so that I couldn't see from the head of the rapids, they weren't so itty-bitty and when all was said and done, I was at the bottom in a long, calm pool, half swamped but still upright, the rubber protector was still clinched tightly in my mouth, the plastic bit below it was completely crushed and flattened, and the cob-pipe end was missing. Still have no idea when or where it went to, but I didn't loose the bit!

Natch

These must be the "softie bits". I bought a few but didn't like them. But I think the principle of having and using them is fine.
:) Paul

Very Nice, Natch.

Remind me to tell you of the time Lucky and I went down the Arkansas River in Oklahoma some years back.

ps nice trick with the upside down smoke....great to know!!

Davey, Yea, but you've got to pack the bowl rather tight, and even then if sitting you may end up with a rather large, glowing ember in your lap. Still, it works OK in the rain (although a re-light is pretty much out of the question). Usually, especially if it's not too windy, I've got a large brimmed Akubra and I bring a short, nose-warmer type pipe so the bowl stays under the brim.

Natch

Natch":nyx5rqih said:
Justpipes WV source is the cheapest I've seen. I usually order about a half dozen packages (12 protectors) at a time when I'm ordering some tobaccos from various shops. At fifty cents each, it's a cheap investment.

I also find Justpipes comment about not putting them on his cobs interesting, as I rather dislike the feel of those el cheapo plastic bits you get with your MMs, and much prefer the bit protectors, though they are a bit loose on those small bits most cobs have.

Natch
Natch,

The cobs I smoke are MM Generals and they have a very soft stem plus as you stated they are small and the rubber bit is very lose on them. Unfortunately MM discontinued the General or a least they are not listing them on their site anymore. I have two of them left.

WV Smokeshop is the cheapest resource that I have found on the net for accessories and tobaccos, that is if they have what you smoke and they just happen to carry my brand. When ever I place a tobacco order I have them throw in a few packages of rubber bits.

Interesting story too Natch! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mark

Natch,

Akubra's are outstanding head wear. Mine is a "Larsen." Wild rabbit felt with braided kangaroo band. Also have a real classy Borsalino fedora for those rare dignified moments. For just keeping the head warm, a Borsalino Merinos wool paper boy cap, a classic.

We need a hat thread.

Natch,

I must be missing something obvious here, as I would not think a re-light would b a problem.

Justpipes
If you are looking for Generals, they are still listed at www.frenchyspipes.com