holiday decorations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but really, I'm not.

In particular, contemporary yard decorations are so incredibly ugly and tacky. I don't mean the LED lights. I mean the blowup dolls. The flaking, glittered figurines made out of wire and plastic mesh. All the garbage made in China sold at all the cheap department stores (Walmart, Menards, Lowes, etc) that make everyone's yard look like plastic trash. The projectors showing scenes on garage doors. The inconsiderate music players that play one or two songs on repeat 24/7 so loud that I can't believe neighbors aren't complaining. I can't imagine sleeping next to "Jingle Bells" playing all night long. I find the modern interpretation of "bigger is better" and "the busier the better" is simply gaudy.

I cannot believe how ugly blowup dolls are. "Yeah, buddy. You're super cool. You bought mass-produced things at Walmart. You're very unique. Having 15 in your yard instead of 2 really makes you special."

To end on a positive note, I do think the little LED globes that you stick in the ground in your front yard that light up the entire yard are very smart. Economically smart. Physically efficient. 60ft of glitz and movement is covered in a single mechanism. One small box collecting dust in the basement rather than having to house a shed of junk 11 months a year.

Zeno Marx":kv1d8hco said:
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but really, I'm not.

In particular, contemporary yard decorations are so incredibly ugly and tacky.  I don't mean the LED lights.  I mean the blowup dolls.  The flaking, glittered figurines made out of wire and plastic mesh.  All the garbage made in China sold at all the cheap department stores (Walmart, Menards, Lowes, etc) that make everyone's yard look like plastic trash.  The projectors showing scenes on garage doors.  The inconsiderate music players that play one or two songs on repeat 24/7 so loud that I can't believe neighbors aren't complaining.  I can't imagine sleeping next to "Jingle Bells" playing all night long.  I find the modern interpretation of "bigger is better" and "the busier the better" is simply gaudy.

I cannot believe how ugly blowup dolls are.  "Yeah, buddy.  You're super cool.  You bought mass-produced things at Walmart.  You're very unique.   Having 15 in your yard instead of 2 really makes you special."

To end on a positive note, I do think the little LED globes that you stick in the ground in your front yard that light up the entire yard are very smart.  Economically smart.  Physically efficient.  60ft of glitz and movement is covered in a single mechanism.  One small box collecting dust in the basement rather than having to house a shed of junk 11 months a year.
I know what you are referring to about blow up dolls, but I can't help but have a hysterical picture painted in my head I almost PISSED my pants laughing and every time I would go to tell my wife I started laughing harder... Thank you zeno I needed that. I totally agree with you by the way.

Nope, I'm not a fan of leaving blow up dolls in the yard, at any time of the year. Martha (my blow up doll) has her own special place in my wardrobe. My neighbours prefer it that way. ;)

Stick":3lzu5oym said:
Nope,  I'm not a fan of leaving blow up dolls in the yard, at any time of the year. Martha (my blow up doll) has her own special place in my wardrobe. My neighbours prefer it that way. ;)
And Stick wins best comment of the year!!!!

I don't like too many outside decorations either, especially those blow up snowmen and Santas.  Ya just have to take it all down and put it away after the holidays!

I put up a string of lights on the gutter in front, two wreaths each on the two entry lamps on each side of the garage, and green lightbulbs.  Then we have a big wreath
on the house.  That is it. I did this all just before Thanksgiving so, according to my wife, every thing would look Christmasy when the family arrives.

My wife, on the other hand goes all out for the holidays inside the house.  This year I had to go out in the woods and cut down a live tree!  She picked it out. It's actually a very nice and well shaped tree.  The tree in the family room is a fake tree as are the two on the landing between the stairs.  One of them is white!  I hate it.  Trees all have ornaments and lights also.
Then there are all sorts of chit around the house with Christmas theme, blankets, dolls, cups, candles, just to name a few things.  I'll be laughing when it comes time to put all this chit away and she has to do it all because I refuse to help!! :twisted:
Anyway, it's all in fun and good spirit during the holidays. Speaking of spirit, I think I'll pour an extra tall bourbon for me right now!

I like the two bigger sizes of bulbs. #9 & #7 I think. Cathy doesn't. She likes the little tiny white lights. Oh, and purple bulbs work fine. She dislikes them. Yard and house decorations. I like simple. Wreaths and maybe garland. She likes the moving deer and stuff. Can you tell we grew up in two different generations?

Stick":q3cxkrix said:
Nope,  I'm not a fan of leaving blow up dolls in the yard, at any time of the year. Martha (my blow up doll) has her own special place in my wardrobe. My neighbours prefer it that way. ;)
Cheeky monkey! :monkey:

Ya, some of the neighbours seem to be in some kind of competition to see who can out-do the other with holiday decorations. Their electric bill must double as a result of all the lights and animated displays.

As for me, I practice the KIFS system. ;)

Cheers,

RR

I find it interesting how a Northern European "Pagan" winter solstice festival was so readily assimilated to facilitate a faith incursion from the Middle East.
I also find it interesting that an economic system could utilize such archaic belief systems to facilitate a surge in monetary flow.

The decorations? I guess if you can afford it, flaunt it, eh?

My Artificial Rhonda ended up with a pinhole in her and couldn't hold air after ten days. Warranty wouldn't cover her because she was 'used'......

Every once in a while I load her up with 'Fix-a-flat' and pump for all I'm worth.. I try to keep rotating her so the hole gets sealed at some point.....

I like bigger bulbs. Just my preference.

I used to string along the gutters, but one time I caught an unpronounceable disease doing so. I don't do that any more. Not without protection any way!

Ho ho ho? Not at my age.... Maybe two, but three is past my limit.

I like my trees outside. I have been known to decorate them at times, but no lights.

Ozark Wizard":lq9rb316 said:
I find it interesting how a Northern European "Pagan" winter solstice festival was so readily assimilated to facilitate a faith incursion from the Middle East.
I also find it interesting that an economic system could utilize such archaic belief systems to facilitate a surge in monetary flow.

The decorations? I guess if you can afford it, flaunt it, eh?

My Artificial Rhonda ended up with a pinhole in her and couldn't hold air after ten days. Warranty wouldn't cover her because she was 'used'......

Every once in a while I load her up with 'Fix-a-flat' and pump for all I'm worth.. I try to keep rotating her so the hole gets sealed at some point.....

I like bigger bulbs. Just my preference.

I used to string along the gutters, but one time I caught an unpronounceable disease doing so. I don't do that any more. Not without protection any way!

Ho ho ho? Not at my age.... Maybe two, but three is past my limit.

I like my trees outside. I have been known to decorate them at times, but no lights.      
Another damn flannel burned... another steam engine impersonation by yours truly .... the fix a flat was the smoking gun

Thistleoak":sswhq1db said:
And Ozark... be a chap and clean out your inbox
Sweetie, if you didn't keep filling my 'in box' I wouldn't need to rinse it out so often. Is it starting to smell? :p

Ozark Wizard":867uku8g said:
Thistleoak":867uku8g said:
And Ozark... be a chap and clean out your inbox
Sweetie, if you didn't keep filling my 'in box' I wouldn't need to rinse it out so often. Is it starting to smell? :p
I accept that burn..... I earned it