home defence shot gun

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josjor":d01re3ir said:
[

You put shotshells in that? Is that a new .410/45LC version? :D

Re-read thread title. If it was home defence in total I would have also posted pics of my .45, .38, 140lb husky/wolf halfbreed, and others.:lol:
OK, so the .45 isn't good enough for ya'? My preference in a shotgun, which I've heard also works effectively, is an old beater Ithaca 37, the best slide shotgun ever made. What? You disagree? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! I've never heard anyone argue about this before.

FACT: Most women that use firearms are better at it than their male counterparts.

The old 'buy her a small gun' 'Lady Smith' etc etc etc has probably got more women hurt than helped. Purchase what SHE feels comfortable using, not what YOU think she ought to use. My wife grabs a Glock Second Gen M17. Your much better off breaking in when I'm home... I'm just defending the castle, She is defending the cubs.

AND..

Guy, I can guarantee there is nothing 'cavalier' about defending yourself or others. You do what you must to protect yourtself from the bad guys. I was taught to shoot to hit. Unfortunatly for an intruder 'Shooting to hit' REQUIRES aiming center mass. IF it ever happens to me, I am not going to try 'leg shots' etc in the heat of the moment when adrenaline is pumping, nerves are on edge and I have nothing to fall back on but trained muscle memory.

Another point worth considering.. When you are training, practise is a very dangerous word now a days, do not automatically draw/shoot.. Draw/evaluate/ shoot-no shoot.
Because if you train draw/shoot that is exactly what you will do and the results are sometimes disasterous.

It's a fun hobby, and sometimes a funny topic.. but reality is it is deadly serious with someones life and someones death hanging in the balance.

PB is correct and one other important issue is troop training. Be sure all household members are trained to assemble in a safe place so if and when lead begins to travel they are protected.

For the house at night is a 12 Gauge side by side Coach Gun (18" barrel) loaded with #4 buck shot (twelve pellets coming your way), with five rounds on a butt sleeve. It sits in the closet next to the bed. In the night stand with the cell phone and flash light is my S&W 4506 (45acp, 8 rounds).

my wife has one of those taurus judges, shoots 45 long colt or 410 shot shell. She keeps hers loaded with 3 buck shot and 2-45s if they run. Did I say she was good with it as well. So far no paper plate or can has servived that ran across her path.

plumbernater":4kjszj16 said:
my wife has one of those taurus judges, shoots 45 long colt or 410 shot shell. She keeps hers loaded with 3 buck shot and 2-45s if they run. Did I say she was good with it as well. So far no paper plate or can has servived that ran across her path.
I hope you have a very, very, VERY good lawyer if they're running and she's still shooting.

Be saving some one else, less protected, a terrible fate. In all reality no one is going to get shot in the back. It was just a remark about the way she loads up.

My constant companion xd40 is on the night stand with a flashlight and cell phone, Rem. 870 full of low recoil )) buck behind the closet door, Mrs. has a 9mm taurus 24/7 compact on her side of the bed as well.

All members of the household know what needs to happen if things go bump in the night.
They also know if I reach for the pistol while out and about to get the He dbl. hockey sticks away from me because I'm about to become a bullet magnet!

The wife and I have taken pistol classes from a few locally respected trainers and I am always looking for deals on training. We go to the range every month or so, although I would like to go more often.

Stay safe out there.
Remeber the Supreme court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you! it is all on you.

My constant companion xd40 is on the night stand with a flashlight and cell phone, Rem. 870 full of low recoil )) buck behind the closet door, Mrs. has a 9mm taurus 24/7 compact on her side of the bed as well.

All members of the household know what needs to happen if things go bump in the night.
They also know if I reach for the pistol while out and about to get the He dbl. hockey sticks away from me because I'm about to become a bullet magnet!

The wife and I have taken pistol classes from a few locally respected trainers and I am always looking for deals on training. We go to the range every month or so, although I would like to go more often.

Stay safe out there.
Remeber the Supreme court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you! it is all on you.

Simple Man":zwjzvpdz said:
LIPIPE":zwjzvpdz said:
Sadly, there seems to be an uptick in the number of home invasions all over this country. One brother who is 60 years old wrote that he always carries a loaded glock on his person all the time in his own home. How very sad a commentary is that. There needs to be an attitude of home defense first if foolish criminals think that they can plunder the innocent. No court of law or police agency would say anything other than "Thank you" for a good job done well. I am a mild mannered pipe smoker but also a realist. Defending the homeland starts in one's own home.

BTW, armor piercing ammo is not a good idea as such could penetrate the houses all down the street. That is where civil liability enters the equation.
I agree... I live right up the road from Kennesaw, GA, the town gained some notoriety some twenty years ago when they passed a law/ordinance (non-enforceable of course) requiring all home owners to own a firearm. The message was to the criminals that they might want to find an easier target than Kennesaw residents...

Simple Man we need to meet some time. I live in Lilburn!
Ever been to Puff and Stuff in Decatur? Nice little B&M right off 285, been grabbing stuff there to try almost weekly since I found it.
Very good selection of pipe tobacco compared to most B&M's I have been to.
Drop me a line and maybe we can meet up some time.

Dave

Josjor":yh464sji said:
plumbernater":yh464sji said:
I hope you have a very, very, VERY good lawyer if they're running and she's still shooting.

Easy solution: don't miss. Dead men tell no tales, and dead criminals can't find ways to lie and cheat their way out of a sentence by making the defender the bad guy.

Roll him over and shoot him twice in the shoulder. He spun before the third shot got there. :twisted:

puros_bran":m06qux8h said:
Roll him over and shoot him twice in the shoulder. He spun before the third shot got there. :twisted:
"360° twist and a spectacular faceplant... what a performance!"

:lol:

smiley-score010.gif

puros_bran":iudegmia said:

I find it interesting that you have this scenario all thought out,,, :p

Mark it's more believable than "Officer it was the damnedest thing, he was yelling 'your a dead man mother $&@ker' while moon walking towards me"

puros_bran":t9r4rccu said:
Mark it's more believable than "Officer it was the damnedest thing, he was yelling 'your a dead man mother $&@ker' while moon walking towards me"
MJ soundtrack optional?

:lol:

puros_bran":c8eq4nz9 said:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

puros_bran":o4692ltq said:
AND..

Guy, I can guarantee there is nothing 'cavalier' about defending yourself or others. You do what you must to protect yourtself from the bad guys. I was taught to shoot to hit. Unfortunatly for an intruder 'Shooting to hit' REQUIRES aiming center mass. IF it ever happens to me, I am not going to try 'leg shots' etc in the heat of the moment when adrenaline is pumping, nerves are on edge and I have nothing to fall back on but trained muscle memory.

Another point worth considering.. When you are training, practise is a very dangerous word now a days, do not automatically draw/shoot.. Draw/evaluate/ shoot-no shoot.
Because if you train draw/shoot that is exactly what you will do and the results are sometimes disasterous.

It's a fun hobby, and sometimes a funny topic.. but reality is it is deadly serious with someones life and someones death hanging in the balance.
My firearms in my home are a colt .45. Randall .45, and a beretta .40. All loaded with safety slugs wont penetrate walls but massive fluid loss. Not to be critical but when you are unloading with rounds that have the ability to penetrate two layers of drywall ther is always the chance that your loved ones can be on the other side of the wall. Before the advent of saftey slugs my wife and children were instructed if there was an intruder in the house at night to lay on the floor as I would always be fireing low to high. SAFTEY ALWAYS. Never turn your lights on at niight as no one knows your home better than you. JUST SOM RAMBLINGS OF A OLD MAN MIKE.

No Spud, your 110% correct about coordinating the safety plans... to me its as important as fire drills..

The only fault I see with your whole thing is the "Nobody knows your home better than you"... Thats BS and I can prove it.
How many times you busted a knee cap because momma moved the furniture.. Yup, it shoulda read "Nobody knows your house as good as your wife." lol