home defence shot gun

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbernater

Reaction score
I have had this mossberg 500 in a pistol grip configuration for awhile now but never liked shooting the thing, with the pistol grip. The safty is on top and hard to operate, and just uncomfortable to shoot. So the other day I got this wood stock set off ebay for $42. I like this so much better and I think it gives her the old trench gun from WW1 look. So Im happy with her now and just wanted to show her off. What do you have for home defence.
IMG135.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

A mossberg 500 with a heat shield MUST have synthetic stocks, ALWAYS.. And not pistol grip either.
I'm afraid you have to take the wood off.

I have a single shot 12 gauge with a bbl to short to list here for doorway clearing, a Glock 17 second gen for room spraying whats left, and if the bastage is still there I'll actually kill his arse with a snub nosed j frame. LOL.

What I have for home defense depends on what part of the house I'm in and what time of day it is.

870expshurshotsyntky-prod.ashx
I can't afford too many shotguns, but I love to hunt turkey. Good thing a turkey gun is short and easy to handle. :D

I got an 870 Express Sureshot Synthetic Turkey model. Thumbhole stock, 21" barrel.

Richard Burley":l4vags2u said:

You put shotshells in that? Is that a new .410/45LC version? :D

Re-read thread title. If it was home defence in total I would have also posted pics of my .45, .38, 140lb husky/wolf halfbreed, and others.:lol:

Puff Daddy":3inqhzeu said:
plumbernater":3inqhzeu said:
What do you have for home defense?
A menopausal wife :shock:

Extremely dangerous,,,hair trigger and no safety (I've been looking for it)

mark":djaiawaz said:
Puff Daddy":djaiawaz said:
plumbernater":djaiawaz said:
What do you have for home defense?
A menopausal wife :shock:

Extremely dangerous,,,hair trigger and no safety (I've been looking for it)
The safety? You hide hormone pills inside chocolates and scatter them around the house ;)

Positive thoughts while smoking Penzance in a Claude Romain bent pot...
Just like smok'in a great pipe.....it's the combo of the equipment and the load.

I'd say a Rem 870 Express loaded with four rounds in the tube and of course one additional round chambered on safety. No need to have to disturb the peace in the neighborhood by having to rack the equipment. First two blasts are 00 Buck. By now the territory should be covered. If the perp is still standing but "confused", I'd bring him into focus with three remaining job finisher Rem Sluggers. At this point any uninvited visitor has been well "ventilated". The bad news is your protected home requires skim coating and a paint job unless splashed red with random pock marks is your decor of choice. :)

Not to forget after a cavalier ventilation your protected home, depending on local customs, may be subject to criminal and civil liabilities.

Not for an intruder in your home, What you have to do is put the gun down before the police arrive.

1 - Definitely shotgun, 12 ga. as the first choice for home defense; a pump to allow firing 4 or 5 rounds without reloading.

2 - Brand not that important; after all, for home defense, one is not going to be firing thousands (or even hundreds) of rounds.

3 - Ammunition most important. Bird shot is worthless for home defense. Remember, the old rule (at least what they told us in the army): If you intend to shoot someone, shoot to kill. For home defense, I have a few boxes of triple-ought 12 gauge rounds (000). WILL STOP ANYONE, short of someone with a Kevlar vest / body armor; if you are worried about that situation, then you have to get into more exotic rifles and ultra-high velocity armor piercing ammunition; not generally a concern for home defense.

Sadly, there seems to be an uptick in the number of home invasions all over this country. One brother who is 60 years old wrote that he always carries a loaded glock on his person all the time in his own home. How very sad a commentary is that. There needs to be an attitude of home defense first if foolish criminals think that they can plunder the innocent. No court of law or police agency would say anything other than "Thank you" for a good job done well. I am a mild mannered pipe smoker but also a realist. Defending the homeland starts in one's own home.

BTW, armor piercing ammo is not a good idea as such could penetrate the houses all down the street. That is where civil liability enters the equation.

LIPIPE: Hello, buddy! Hope you are well! Agree; armor piercing ammo, etc., not a home defense option unless one is really off the scale of paranoia!! Also, even 12 gauge 000 ammo needs to be used with care, as it WILL go through plasterboard, etc., with potentially unintended consequences!! If one has weapons and ammo for home defense, one needs to be properly trained in weapons safety, usage, etc. Also, do not expect your wife to pick up a 12 gauge loaded with 000 ammo and use it effectively; the kick is brutal.....If you want your wife to be ready, then she needs to be familiar with the weapon, etc. A 410 with some heavy-duty ammo may be a better solution for the wife.

Nero: Bud, you are correct, however your wife should know that a shotgun could be held with arms down and shot to "spray" without concern for recoil. Take her to the range and demonstrate. Let her practice. It's an important lesson that could save her life if you are not around.