Home Made French Wheel (For pipe making)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Been wanting to make my own French wheel for some time now cause I just can't afford what there asking for the ones on the market.
So I finally got to it and used some old tinted 1/4" Plexiglass had had lay'en around and one of the arbors I have. You see awhile back ago
I made a 1750RPM buffer from an old dual shaft motor I had because my 3400 buffer is just too fast for pipe work and I put motor arbors with
Jacobs key less chucks on both shafts so I could quickly change wheels when needed. So I just come across two more electric motors for free.
One single shaft 1750RPM that I did the same to for my shaping discs and another dual shaft 3400RPM one.
Back to the French wheel, so I cut two circles one 4" and the other 3-1/2", drilled a center hole in both 1/2" to except the arbor and counter sunk the 4" one also
so the arbor would fit flush. Dug out some old gray billiard table felt I had and cut to circles one 4" and one 3-1/2" in diameter and mounted them, the smaller one first
with spray adhesive and them the larger so to give it padding and a smooth transition towards the edge. I also mounted each piece of Plexiglass on the arbor one at a time and put them on the lathe to true them up, shape and sand the edges and eliminate any wobble.
I put it on the motor yesterday and it spins true and smooth, gona make another here shortly so I'll have two for different grits.
Oh, And I use standard 5" stick on sanding discs but, I only peel back and remove about a 3/4" from the edge and cut them to fold over. Not as hard or time consuming as it looks.
Only took me about 5 minutes to cut it with scissors and attach the sanding disc, easy, peasey, Japanesey.  ;)
Oh! and for those that don't know , these are used by a lot of pipe makers to shape the stummels of pipes. Up until now I've been using regular sanding disks that have a sharp edge and can really do damage to a stummel if one is not careful enough. Hopefully this will help me to avoid that to an extent.
I need all the help I can get ya know.  :fpalm:

Cool to see someone else making tools to getter done..........

Nicely done!

Ozark Wizard":fqmamcby said:
Cool to see someone else making tools to getter done..........

Nicely done!
Thank you OW,  that's the way I was taught, what ya don't have make and what ya can't make ya don't need.
Although I still have quite a few tools "I don't need" but, I'm glad I got them just the same, they help make other tools.

Thanks guys, yes even you Adam.............smart arse. :suspect:

My hat is off to you Sir! It is GREAT to see someone making use of what they have at hand. Now, if you could make me one and send it to me I'd be most appreciative! Like you, I've wanted a french wheel for many years but refuse to pay the big $$ they want for them. Christ, it's not like they're selling rocket engines. Congrats on what looks like a perfect home-made tool!

Bobostro61":2fc2ov6l said:
My hat is off to you Sir!  It is GREAT to see someone making use of what they have at hand.  Now, if you could make me one and send it to me I'd be most appreciative!  Like you, I've wanted a french wheel for many years but refuse to pay the big $$ they want for them.  Christ, it's not like they're selling rocket engines.  Congrats on what looks like a perfect home-made tool!
Thank you sir
Funny you should ask, a good friend of mine asked me the same thing but, sadly I only had the supplies to do enough (2) for myself. But, frankly these are so easy to make it's shameful. Two discs with and arbor holding them together. Can't get much simpler then that. ;)

hobie1dog":44s2jnc6 said:
OK, I missed the part....what grit paper is on it?
No, you didn't miss anything, it's 220 but you can put any grit ya want on it, it's entirely interchangeable. ;)

Very cool, nice! Just goes to show that you do not need expensive tools and gadgets to make pipes.

Thank you Charl and Riff When your cheap bastard like me you'll think of something to get out of paying for anything. ;)