Honestly, who does this?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
Went to my regularly scheduled check up while visiting the post office for the monthly run. Seems my next appointment is on the 8th of December. A bit of spinal work, from what I gathered. Short of the long of it is a tap, a bit of medical grade super glue, and a graft including some more metal structural support. I figure if I can last a couple more decades in this old body I can get a nice android/cyborg replacement. :D

Having this done so close to the holidays is, well, less than convenient, but what's a body to do? Ah well, I ain't got no plans this season..............:sleep:

Blackhorse":6iktc0zf said:
Kwicher whinin’. You could easily be dead.  So PT is a wonderful alternative.  Just think of it as giving Herbie and the other elves practice.
You're right, dead is easy. Seems I take the more complicated path more often than not.. :lol!:

Well, if you really want to drill the elves - google Full Metal Jacket at the North Pole.

NSFW - extreme language. If I posted the link it would have to be in the rubber room.

I’m still sittin’ here shaking my head in wonderment at yer relations. They descended on you like a pack of wild hyenas causing a peace loving soul (that would be you) unnecessary grief, wear & tear and expenditure of much needed supplies. I mean it’s not like you have a Kroger’s around the block from yer digs. Then they run you out of water and...whooping and whistling all the while...they head on out once the well is dry and leave you staked out in the sun like an Apache war party. Nice. How thoughtful, how helpful, how supportive...of themselves. Astonishing.

In answer to your question, I did this:
hip-replacement-recovery.jpg

While this isn't my hip, I still find it a rather scary picture.
Needless to say I am better off with it

Bub":fow4kx3t said:
In answer to your question, I did this:
hip-replacement-recovery.jpg

While this isn't my hip, I still find it a rather scary picture.
Needless to say I am better off with it
A bionic hip?

Do you find it is better? I'm not worry about metal bits in me, I've got some already. I just want to be indestructible, like the Terminator. Bits here and there over time may not be fast enough to leave a cool cremated skeleton behind. I'm looking for a Bicentennial Man type of thing, long term.

Hopefully these tweaks you're having done will help with the pain you're in. I can honestly tell you there is never a convenient time to have this kind of work done. Just hope the youngsters don't get wind of it and come to help you out again. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Jim

Good luck sir, wish I could have something done for mine but..........

This is what it looks like out of the box
apfbl3.jpg

When I was BS (before surgery), I walked with pain and had to use a cane.
I am now 3 mo AS (after surgery) and walk without pain.
The implants can last up to 20 years which means that I have a life-time guarantee.
My only problem is looking at my x-rays or the above picture.

Jeepers Ozzie, sounds like fun, not. Hoping your stay in hospital will be as short as possible and your recuperation is too.

Best of luck.

Tim

Ozark Wizard":rx88nylt said:
Went to my regularly scheduled check up while visiting the post office for the monthly run. Seems my next appointment is on the 8th of December. A bit of spinal work, from what I gathered. Short of the long of it is a tap, a bit of medical grade super glue, and a graft including some more metal structural support. I figure if I can last a couple more decades in this old body I can get a nice android/cyborg replacement. :D

Having this done so close to the holidays is, well, less than convenient, but what's a body to do? Ah well, I ain't got no plans this season..............:sleep:  
I dunno Ozzie, this sounds pretty gnarly to me. And painful.

Friend of mine had a spinal tap, and described it thus - "imagine someone taking one of your nuts and slowly crushing it until you passed out from the pain. That's what it's like".

:shock:

No Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":zw6vwrtj said:
Ozark Wizard":zw6vwrtj said:

I dunno Ozzie, this sounds pretty gnarly to me. And painful.

Friend of mine had a spinal tap, and described it thus - "imagine someone taking one of your nuts and slowly crushing it until you passed out from the pain. That's what it's like".

:shock:

No Cheers,

RR
I've had one... they missed three times! I told the doc he had one more try... he got a lab tech to do it for him and it went like it was supposed to.

Well I'm going to be praying for you, Ozark Wizard. That spinal stuff is serious business. I'm sure you will have a pro working on you, but it's still serious business.

You know, it seems to me that almost all of us pipe smokers are "getting up there" and repairs are now standard. I had a shoulder tear repaired last winter, my wife has had both knees done this summer. Everyone I know, our age, has a problem. New technology may save us all for another run. I've got a knee I should do something with. But after watching my wife go through it, I'm not so sure. Hope everyone on here gets everything put back together and pushes on.

Ozzie - don’t let the urban myth spinal tap stories spook ya. When I worked in the ER we used to do about One a week. No biggie. Get stuck with a needle. Pretty common. No excruciating or extreme pain need apply. The Docs where I worked never missed. That was the base ER at Ft. Carson, Colo and the SICU at OHSU. Really, you’re gonna be fine.

Well, unless they use the BIG needle. :face:

Blackhorse":8nyrg56u said:
Ozzie - don’t let the urban myth spinal tap stories spook ya. When I worked in the ER we used to do about One a week. No biggie. Get stuck with a needle. Pretty common. No excruciating or extreme pain need apply. The Docs where I worked never missed. That was the base ER at Ft. Carson, Colo and the SICU at OHSU. Really, you’re gonna be fine.

Well, unless they use the BIG needle. :face:
I'm sure it will be fine, but he missed with me... three times... he was trying to instruct medical students and I was the guinea pig. I was having excruciating headaches and stiffness of the neck, they suspected meningitis, which thankfully it wasn't. The lab tech did it right the first time.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen.........

I'm not experiencing any fear regarding the work, really. Fear is the Mind killer, and I am not a subscriber. This whole experience is just dammed inconvenient and totally my own fault for being too cavalier with my situation and environment. This is the cost for taking things for granted and not paying attention. I hope to learn from this lesson.

Pain is and has been an integral part of my life. I accept it as a reminder that I am indeed alive. There have also been moments where I have been able to change the sensation, or turn it down from extreme to mild. There seems to always be a 'new normal'. I am hopeful for a new 'new normal' after this effort, preferably as described. It is my understanding I will be released after the work before Christmas. I will have help when I get home as well, as a former spouse and a few good folks will be about. With luck and good behavior I hope to regain my solitude.

Otherwise, give me a few of my favourite vices, a blanket and a great view and leave me somewhere where nature can dispose of me.