Hot Dogs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Would I rather have a boneless 2 " thick rib eye steak or a 1/4 lb. Costco house brand beef hot dog? It's a difficult decision. If I get to have onions, dill pickle relish, and spicy mustard for the hot dog, it's really a difficult decision. Like my 2-year-old granddaughter, Sophia, I could eat a hot dog for at least one meal a day. Now, if the hot dog is cooked outside over charcoal, then there's no decision to be made.
Please pass the onions.

Sorry, can't go along with this one. I do like Costco hot dogs, but I'll take the rib eye every time. Yes; I'll have the baked potato please miss.

Fries with mine. Marionberry cheesecake with a hefty cappuccino for dessert. Or a rich chocolate mousse with a good Port.

Oh…and by the way…I’ll take the steak as a full bone in rib steak. And much thinner than the 2” mentioned earlier. It’s not a tenderloin after all. Not easy to find any more. Gotta ask for the cut.

Big ol' dog with mustard, chili, onions, and cole slaw all tucked into a steamed bun!! Dang hard to pass up!! "Two, please!!" FTRPLT

I would have to go with the chili cheese dogs with mustard and sliced jalapeno's due to how often we have them compared to steak.
It's a bigger deal to plan on getting the buns, cheese, chili and dogs the day before vs I'll grab a couple of steaks out of the freezer the morning of. Anticipation I guess for me like the old ketchup commercial.

I know this may be sacrilege, but when I crave a rib EYE steak, I go to Restaurant Depot and buy a boneless rib roast, Bones have weight and I can't see paying for the inedible. I trim away everything but the actual eye of the roast and cut that into 1.5 to 2" thick steaks. The rest is ground up with brisket, brisket fat, and chuck to make ground beef for burgers on the grill.

I do this rarely as I've really cut back on my meat consumption. I think I go meatless, on average, five days a week. My father ate meat almost every meal and died of a heart condition before turning 60. My older brother is 80, eats meat whenever his wife makes it and has been on cholesterol and blood pressure medication for over 30 years. He and his wife spent three months this past year living with their daughter, her husband and four children. His daughter is a heart surgeon. During those three months, most meal ingredients came from a service that plans menus and portion size. I think it's called Hello Fresh. My brother said most of the meals were without meat; fish and pasta were prevalent. He said his BP and cholesterol numbers plunged, but when they returned home, they went right back to their old diet. His exact words, "I'm 80. I'll eat whatever is on the table." (He's overweight and uses a walker.)

Last edited:
I would have to go with the chili cheese dogs with mustard and sliced jalapeno's due to how often we have them compared to steak.
It's a bigger deal to plan on getting the buns, cheese, chili and dogs the day before vs I'll grab a couple of steaks out of the freezer the morning of. Anticipation I guess for me like the old ketchup commercial.
Lol. Brings back memories. When I worked at Offutt AFB back in the 80s, there was a bar, Hamms Tavern, just outside the back gate. They had foot long hotdogs for 75 cents. Add chili, cheese, and onions for $1.25. A draft Hamms beer was 50 cents. Ate there probably 3 days a week. Lunch for less than $2. Those were the days.

Natural casing hot dogs. We have discovered that 5-6 min at 390F in the air fryer makes them outstanding.
I learned a valuable lesson doing that with larger natural casing hot dogs. Have a drip pan below, and make a couple of punctures in the skin before air frying. I'd put two in the air fryer and they both exploded. What a mess to clean up!

I don’t eat a lot of steak. If I want a steak, I go out to a steakhouse. Gimmie that Costco dog and soda… add a churro and a berry sundae.