Hot Honey?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah Baby…bring it on. Hot Honey. Honey infused with hot chilis. I know of two…Mike’s Hot Honey and Nugget Honey. Mike’s was first, developed “locally” specifically for pizza…then it exploded nationally. Then, the guys on Heatonist brewed up some using Pepper X.

Mike won’t release what he uses in his, but the folks at Heatonist use a Vermont craft gin, soak the Pepper X’s in the gin then mix the infused gin into the honey, let the alcohol volatilize and voila, you have Nugget Honey.

They’re both great on pizza, wings (of course), ice cream, peanut butter toast…whatever. How hot are they? I think they’re rated something like 4/10 with 10 being lava lips with a blow torch. I think they both have about the same degree of heat.

I think Zeno should try this for his lunch roll up!

F30DF289-2963-404D-8ABD-8F2C67785A10.jpeg

DFB593ED-A5CB-456A-8573-7456EB192613.jpeg

I'm a beekeeper and I like honey. I also love a good pepper jelly. Hot honey would probably be something I would greatly enjoy.

Might have to look at making my own, got some nice and hot Scotch bonnets here and some lovely honey from a neighbour. I'm thinking of chopping the bonnets up fine and simmering both on low for an hour or so.

I do a fig and chilli jam here, have made it with both dried and fresh figs. Golden up some onion and garlic add in chopped figs and a goodly splosh of port or sherry and some sugar add water if needed. Simmer till it thickens up to a jam like consistency turn off the heat and add your desired amount of chopped chillies. Stir well and jar it up in sterilised jars. Goes well with any pig meat product, chicken and turkey.

You might see if there are any recipes for the pepper honey out there. I once read about the process one of them uses…rendering the peppers and making an infusion by mixing it with some designer vodka and then mixing that into the honey. I think it might be so that they ended up with clear hot honey instead of what looked like honey with a bunch of veggies blended in.