Hot Peppers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So what's the hottest chili pepper you've eaten?

I ask since I just tried Ghost Peppers for the first time and have to say I was completely underwhelmed! If there was any hotness to them it was so far down on the Scoville scale that they seemed to be on a par with an ordinary Jalapeno.

On a chart I've seen, Ghost peppers come in at between 800,000 - 1,000,300 Scoville units. Orange Habaeros are between 150,000 - 325,000 and I like them a lot, but the hotness can vary so much that even the hottest of them is kind of meh. Another chili I like is the diminutive Thai, which rate 50,000 - 1000,000. Once in a while one can be pretty fiery but again they vary tremendously.

I realize the hotness level fluctuates but after the dozen or so Ghost peppers not a single one of them had any degree of fire that I was expecting. So WTF?

Think I'll move up the scale to some other pepper to see what that's all about. Like a New Mexico Scorpion at 1,191,595 or a Trinidad Scorpion at 2,009,231 or even the Carolina Reaper at the top - 2,200,000.

Scoville-Scale-Chili-Peppers-List-Hottest-to-Mildest.jpg" style="width: 400px;height: 600px

So what's the hottest chili pepper you've had?

Cheers,

RR

For a full pepper, habanero, but the hottest thing I've ever eaten was some Korean pepper powder I picked up at an Asian market. It probably says what it is on the package, but I can't read Korean. It was cheap compared to all the other pepper powders they had ($5 vs $15), and I was looking for spices to thrown in chili and the split pea/lentil goop I make. 1/4 teaspoon is more than enough for a 6qt pot. It's really not much more than a pinch. When I first got it, I put in 1/2 teaspoon or more, thinking I could add as necessary and later, and I almost decided to not eat more than the first bowl. I almost threw the rest in the garbage. It's spicy and with a big bite, so at 1/4 tsp, it adds a nice element to the pot. Anymore than that and all you're doing is making it so nobody wants to eat it. Just overpowers everything else in the pot, and because of it being all heat and not much flavor, it's not good for much. I love gochujang, so I was thinking I'd try another Korean pepper product. Maybe they make kimchi with this pepper powder. I'm not sure.

I think the hottest I've had was ghost pepper but it was in a hot sauce so not the entire pepper. I have taken a blast of almost 10,000,000 pepper spray and that was a less than pleasent experience. I don't eat much hot stuff anymore but still enjoy the occasional spicy Curry.

Habanero most likely.  Not really sure.  I’m not one that adheres to the idea that eating should be accompanied by excruciating physical pain. Just looking at your list made me want to run out the door screaming and waving my arms wildly.

Have you seen the First We Feast: Hot Ones series on youtube? Not for the celebrities or interviews --though the host is good at what he does, so the celebrity interviews can be the best of the type-- but for the ideas for hot sauces. I'm sure there are sites dedicated to hot sauces and whatnot, but the series can be entertaining because they're trying to have an in-depth conversation while they're physically distracted and can barely stay on topic sometimes.

I grrow and grew a lot of peppers. Never went over my wife’s preferred, scotch bonnets. It is a great pepper that balances heat and taste. It is a heat that does not haunt you in the least.

My favorite everyday Pepper is Serrano but haven’t had a chance to grow any.

I have had some habanero peppers that were quite spicy. I prefer a jalapeno on the mild side anymore. I prefer to taste the rest of my meal and not just a hot burn.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for an experience that will provide heat over flavor. Anything but that in fact. What would be the point?

Yet my recent experience with ghost peppers was completely underwhelming as noted. Don't know if this particular batch was not up to Scoville standards or even if the company monitors that. My guess is probably not. Growing an agricultural product can be subject to myriad variables.

That said, the ghost pepper salsa I've been enjoying from a local source seems to be sufficiently hot, but balanced with the other flavor elements. Perhaps they have a way of standardizing this where providers of the raw product don't. I accept that.

Still, I'll be seeking out the chilies above the ghost pepper provided I can find them. It's not like these are available at every local grocery store.

Cheers,

RR

If you do a simple search over on Amazon you can get Carolina Reapers in just about any form possible...from fresh peppers to seeds to sauce to powder.

The world is your pepper.

Today I found a great looking assortment of hot peppers at one of the places I shop. This is where I bought the ghost peppers at, and is called "Sprouts". They are kind of a natural market and have outlets in multi-states.

Anyways this pepper assortment may contain the following -

Trinidad Scorpions
Scotch Bonnet
Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokias)
Carolina Reaper

The catch is "may contain" and that could indicate there might not be all of those in this assortment. In fact I see what I believe to be a Habanero there in this assortment. I can identify several ghost peppers since I just had them.

And there is what must be a Scorpion due to it's shape. The shape of that and the Carolina Reaper look somewhat similar though. Hmmmm??

In any case I'll look forward to this. Details at 11........

:geek:

Cheers,

RR

Blackhorse":wvm9b0qn said:
If we don’t hear from you in a few days we’ll send out the dogs.
I've been working my way through these. So far so good. Nothing extreme at all.

What I identified as Ghost Peppers were as meh as the ones before. There was one small yellow pepper that looked somewhat like a Habenero which had some heat but nothing that rocked my world.

I'll move on to what might be the Scorpion or the Carolina Reaper. They look somewhat similar. Wish me luck-

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cozHUec4sPc" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

:affraid:

Cheers,

RR

What are those idiots doing drinking water??? I think this is where the phrase, “So hot it fried her uterus!” comes from.

(Seems like another one of those Darwinian events ya hear about that effectively limits population growth in certain segments of the genome.)

Today had what I think was the scorpion pepper. Pleasantly hot but not mind blowing. Nibbled at it and was mindful of the seed portion which holds all the hot stuff. Liked it. Didn't rock my world though.

The rest seem to be mostly the ghost peppers which I'll have in due course. And so far they don't seem to be very challenging. Don't think a Carolina Reaper is among them. We'll see.

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR

This deserves another play...one of ‘em was throwing up blood...the other damn near went into respiratory arrest...all in good fun though.

:fpalm:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cozHUec4sPc" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Ya, that was amusing. Those young gals look like they suffered!

That pepper looks much like the one I had tonight, although the shape of the Carolina Reaper and the Scorpion are much the same and I have no way of knowing which one I ate. I finished mine!

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR