Hot Peppers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleavage and hot peppers, talk about click-bait.

I had a bag of Paqui Haunted Ghost Pepper chips not too long ago. They were tasty and had a noticeable warming effect to them, especially when they hit the gut, but mouth hot they were not and there are plenty of videos of people suffering a bit while eating them. Paqui also makes a single Carolina Reaper chip that comes in a miniature coffin.

The hottest pepper I ever actually ate was a whole raw Thai Chile of some type. It had a lasting burn but it was comfortable. I don’t think I would really care for anything hotter. I am no Chile head.

DrumsAndBeer":3r4xljx9 said:
Cleavage and hot peppers, talk about click-bait.
Ain't it the truth!

I've now worked my way through the assortment. There were 2 peppers that were either Scorpions and/or Carolina Reaper as the shape is similar. Mostly Ghost Peppers and 2 yellow ones that I'm not sure of the variety.

Gotta say that none of them lit me up and made me jump up and down. Some were pleasantly hot but most were totally underwhelming. Frankly I was expecting so much more.

Don't know if these were specifically selected as the mildest of their type (unlikely IMO), they weren't at their peak of freshness and the hot diminishes with freshness (also unlikely), or perhaps my tolerance has built up to the point that they don't register as they would otherwise.

On the ones I suspected were the hottest, I didn't just dive right in and eat half the thing in one bite like those chicks did. Rather I went slow and consumed it in small bites until I had a sense of them, knowing full well that the heat is mostly in the seeds and they are pretty much located up towards the stem.

Be that as it may, I did enjoy them and will revisit at some point to see if another batch are different. The cost was nominal for the assortment. Something like $5 for what must have been a dozen different chilies. In fact the container says-

"Super Hot Chile Mix. Our finest collection of super hot chilies for the chili connoisseur! Ingredients: Fresh Chilies.

(May contain Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Scotch Bonnet and/or Bhut Jolokias)

Net weight 2 oz (57g)

Decided to get in a container of the tiny Thai chilies this time. They pack some heat along with flavor and the size is such that I can have as many as I want at a sitting. Had these before several times.

FWIW, the hottest chili I ever had was many years ago. Back in the mid-70's when I was working in the weld shop, the lead man brought in a bowl of small green chilies he had grown. They were maybe 1/4" diameter x 4" long. Don't know the variety. Even back then I was chili head and he and I snacked on these during our shift. No one else would touch them but I found them fine.

That is, until I grabbed one and bit off a good chunk and suddenly my world went tits up! The heat was so overwhelming that I though I would puke or pass out or something. I mean it was fierce, brutal, and no exaggeration!

I proceeded to rush to the water fountain nearby and tried to cool my mouth. I held the water in my mouth and that seemed to help somewhat, but as soon as I swallowed the water the pain came back with a vengeance. This went on for some time and I was totally unable to work. Finally, after multiple trips to the water fountain it started to subside. By now my head felt like it was on fire!

When I finally made it back to my work station, I told the lead man that he needed to try that chili I just ate as I had laid it down right there after biting into it. Of course he bit it and his eyes lit up.

So it wasn't just me. That one particular chili apparently had several orders of magnitude higher scoville units for some reason. All the others I ate that day were mild in comparison. And of course, now I know that just plain water will not neutralize the reaction. Kinda like putting water on an oil fire.  

All to say that I recognize and accept that chilies are an agricultural product and variations can and will occur. That's all..........

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR

Ghost chili products seem to fall way short on the heat even for me. I used to seek out hot peppers and loved the burn but these days I tend to stay on the milder side like chipotle peppers. I enjoy the flavor more than the heat and the ghost chili does have some decent flavor. I do make hot sauce and hot rubs for my son and use an electric coffee grinder to pulverize dried peppers with all their seeds which makes even a fairly mild pepper like jalapeno really seem hot. Good luck in your search Rande

Jim

Foolish girls, should have drank milk or sugar. It kills the heat immediately.

Learned that in Mexico.

So I've now been through a second visit to the chili assortment and remain singularly unimpressed. Pretty much the same experience as before. Always wondering "when does the heat start"?

Actually there was one chili this time that got my attention. Not sure which one it was since some of these look similar. But... it didn't chew me up and spit me out. Just a pleasant heat for a while.

WTF?

:?:

Cheers,

RR

My limit on heat is Anaheim peppers. And even then they can be too much. One of my old coworkers once made salsa that he said had ghost peppers in it. Not sure I believe that though

Blackhorse":4tv53sa7 said:
kingcobradude":4tv53sa7 said:
My limit on heat is Anaheim peppers. And even then they can be too much. One of my old coworkers once made salsa that he said had ghost peppers in it. Not sure I believe that though

Is he still alive?
Who? My coworker? Yeah he is. Why? Am I missing something?

Brewdude":n5hqnb6m said:
So I've now been through a second visit to the chili assortment and remain singularly unimpressed. Pretty much the same experience as before. Always wondering "when does the heat start"?

Actually there was one chili this time that got my attention. Not sure which one it was since some of these look similar. But... it didn't chew me up and spit me out. Just a pleasant heat for a while.

WTF

RR

Hey RR...ever hear of Salvador Molly’s?  They specialize in super hot fritters dipped in super potent pepper sauce. There are two versions...habanero and Carolina reaper. You can buy the fritter batter mix online.

https://salvadormollys.com/great-balls-of-fire/

Brewdude":plwibnll said:

WTF?

:?:

Cheers,

RR

I'm usually pretty comfortable in the 100-150K Scoville range. But when I read you talking about hot peppers it always draws me back to the Texas Chili Cookoff:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/544975/posts

I have been adding fresh jalapenos to everything lately, eggs, pasta, salads, coleslaw, and dips. The burn factor has been spot on without any singe or lingering effects. I'm not sure of the origin of the peppers but will guess Colorado or New Mexico.

Blackhorse:95btv1b6 said:
Brewdude:95btv1b6 said:

WTF

RR

Hey RR...ever hear of Salvador Molly’s? They specialize in super hot fritters dipped in super potent pepper sauce. There are two versions...habanero and Carolina reaper. You can buy the fritter batter mix online.

Great Balls of Fire – Salvador Molly's Restaurant – Portland, OR
Forgot to respond to this.

No am not familiar with Salvador Molly's. I prefer eating the chilies whole. Not much on cooking these days.

Tried another round of Ghost Pepper chilies and same experience - meh! I'm starting to feel the growers are going for the lower HP in order to sell their wares. Every single one has been mild at most. WTF! 🇳🇴

In the meantime I've gone back to Habaneros. At least some of them have some heat! And they also have a fruity flavor.

download (5).jpg

Cheers,

RR

Had a hankering to re-explore the hottest of the hot so just finished a container of Scorpion Peppers rated at 1,400,000 scoville units. I'd had these before in a couple assortments and was unimpressed. Guess I wondered if the few I'd had were not truly representative.

There were 7 peppers in this container. All fairly large too, compared to say a Habanero. The largest one was canary yellow, the others as red as a tomato. I ate the largest red one first, but didn't just try and eat the whole thing at once. That would be suicidal!

One thing I noticed right away was that the flavor apart from the heat was somewhat off-putting. Hard to describe but I'd call it a "dirty" flavor. Not pleasant. Can't say I remembered that from the assortments I'd tried. Not encouraging. Don't think I finished it for that reason. Not sure about the heat level.

Next I tried out the big yellow one and this was several orders of magnitude better in the flavor dept. Hard to describe but the flavor seemed kind of mild and neutral. There was some serious heat going on here which ramped up as one got to the stem area where the seeds are. Didn't quite finish it completely but came pretty close.

So it was with some trepidation that I embarked on eating the remainder of the red ones. But have to say that I'm glad I persevered as they were much better in terms of flavor. In fact the flavor reminded me much of tomatoes.

In all cases here, the heat factor was pretty aggressive and I only managed to finish one complete pepper from the remainder. I like the hot but I do have my limits. Yet I did them all justice.

My final thoughts are such that I'll probably avoid getting in any more Scorpion peppers for the time being. Habaneros seem to be my go-to's these days and have the right balance of flavor/hot.

Iffen you're not familiar with Scorpion peppers here's a pic-

download (4).jpg

Cheers,

RR

I bought up some Hatch chilis at kroger the other day.  I chopped them and frozen them for Chili this winter.

I did notice they seem to be on the mild side this year

History Prof 1861":7yhv8lkw said:
I bought up some Hatch chilis at kroger the other day.  I chopped them and frozen them for Chili this winter.

I did notice they seem to be on the mild side this year
My experience with hatch chilies have all been on the mild end of the spectrum. Not hot at all.

However there was this one frozen entree which was mac & cheese + hatch chilies and that was impressively hot! Sadly they disco'd it probably for being too spicy for most folks. Tried to make it myself from scratch but it was a failure.

Cheers,

RR