Hot Peppers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reading this topic has set my sphincter aflame.
tenor.gif

Interesting. I read thru all the comments and postings, with wonder, and some mild amusement. I'm always astonished that some guys/gals can actually enjoy burning out their mouth, guts and butt-holes by eating the hottest peppers that God created. But, whatever. Like I mentioned....it's interesting.

I could understand..... the, "it's-because-the-mountain-is-there"....thing, or even eating these incendiary peppers for the bragging rights, but as a condimental????...how could the food/chili be enjoyed if all it provides is a blast-furnace of fiery heat? You can't taste the food with a blistered tongue. At least, I can't. Our world is filled with things I will never understand...but then, who am I to judge?

I do admire the moxie of the pepper-eaters. Now, in my dotage, my Scoville-rating tops out when I use some garlic-chili sauce on my bacon-cheeseburger. And to think I used to eat hot cherry-pepper sandwiches when I was a teen. My dad would just shake his head, and tell me..."You'll be sorry, tomorrow"! When you're sixteen years old, there are no, 'sorry tomorrows'. I also used to smoke "Mixture No. 79". Stupid is, as stupid does.

Eat, drink, and be merry.

Last edited:
I like hot and spicy but not to the point where it becomes an ordeal, especially when I'm dining out. If I'm paying good money for a meal out it should be a pleasure to eat. Hats off to those lunatics in the vid posted above.

I can do some hot stuff but some of those peppers are just way too much for me. I enjoy some good spicy Korean ramen or hot Indian curry from time to time

I do not like that much heat. I prefer more flavor with some heat. I can do the common Sriracha sauce. Green Tabasco. The Pepper Plant hot sauces, which come in larger bottle sizes than most. It's my go to South Western style sauce. Boulder Hot Sauce Smokey Serrano for a nice roasted pepper flavor. Try Me Tiger Sauce and their Habanaro sauce. And then for fried foods like fish. Just a good generic style hot sauce like Louisianna, or Franks's.

I do not like that much heat. I prefer more flavor with some heat. I can do the common Sriracha sauce. Green Tabasco. The Pepper Plant hot sauces, which come in larger bottle sizes than most. It's my go to South Western style sauce. Boulder Hot Sauce Smokey Serrano for a nice roasted pepper flavor. Try Me Tiger Sauce and their Habanaro sauce. And then for fried foods like fish. Just a good generic style hot sauce like Louisianna, or Franks's.

I also like Louisiana and Franks. Plus Cholua.

Cheers,

RR

The hottest pepper I ever ate was in Thailand! We (the eight guys living in my/our "hootch" [living quarters, 4x2-men rooms with central showers, sinks, and "thrones!']) would contract with our "hootch maid/s" to prepare traditional Thai food for lunch and/or supper. Those little Thai peppers were hotter than the inside of a nuclear explosion!! Even after removing them from the food, the heat was eye-watering!!
Cholula, Tabasco, Frank's, most any Louisiana-type sauce is good for me. Jalapeno sauces are always in the pantry. My all-time favorite is "Texas Pete!!" Made in my hometown, Winston-Salem, NC!! As my nephew says, I put that $hiT on everything!! Great stuff...FTRPLT

The hottest pepper I ever ate was in Thailand! We (the eight guys living in my/our "hootch" [living quarters, 4x2-men rooms with central showers, sinks, and "thrones!']) would contract with our "hootch maid/s" to prepare traditional Thai food for lunch and/or supper. Those little Thai peppers were hotter than the inside of a nuclear explosion!! Even after removing them from the food, the heat was eye-watering!!
Cholula, Tabasco, Frank's, most any Louisiana-type sauce is good for me. Jalapeno sauces are always in the pantry. My all-time favorite is "Texas Pete!!" Made in my hometown, Winston-Salem, NC!! As my nephew says, I put that $hiT on everything!! Great stuff...FTRPLT

I do like those little Thai peppers, although I don't find them all that hot.

Cheers,

RR

I do like those little Thai peppers, although I don't find them all that hot.

Cheers,

RR
RR, other folks have told me the same thing, i.e., they didn't find the little Thai peppers all that hot! Must be some difference/s between the peppers! I like the heat; but those little boogers were hotter than blue blazes; way above serrano, habanero, ghost, etc.!!!!!! FTRPLT

Hey BD you need to find a decent source for your hot peppers unless you have an amazingly high tolerance. I find home grown ghost and thai chilli peppers to be seriously hot and even some store bought ones can hit pretty hard and I have a seriously high tolerance due to growing up with a brother who is also an insane chilli freak. That may be because I'm in Australia and we actually care about our produce being top notch. Our supermarkets have changed a lot over the last twenty years from going for the lowest denominator to actually realising there is a spectrum of tastes out there. Even our local butcher's chilli sausages are thought provoking, not too hot, not too cold, and yes she does milder stuff, but if she says it has chilli in it, you'd better believe it.

Also I thought the winner on the pommy video cheated, he never bit into the chilli that took out the previous guy who actually did munch on it. Yeah he had it in his mouth but he hadn't started on it. Bloody wus.

Hey BD you need to find a decent source for your hot peppers unless you have an amazingly high tolerance. I find home grown ghost and thai chilli peppers to be seriously hot and even some store bought ones can hit pretty hard and I have a seriously high tolerance due to growing up with a brother who is also an insane chilli freak. That may be because I'm in Australia and we actually care about our produce being top notch. Our supermarkets have changed a lot over the last twenty years from going for the lowest denominator to actually realising there is a spectrum of tastes out there. Even our local butcher's chilli sausages are thought provoking, not too hot, not too cold, and yes she does milder stuff, but if she says it has chilli in it, you'd better believe it.

Also I thought the winner on the pommy video cheated, he never bit into the chilli that took out the previous guy who actually did munch on it. Yeah he had it in his mouth but he hadn't started on it. Bloody wus.

Tim, earlier in this thread I posted that I got in an assortment of the world's hottest chilies from a local farmers market. Some, like the Ghost and Scorpion were hotter than the hubs of hell but I managed to eat most of them until I got to the seeded part. No way would I ever eat them all in one go though - that would be insane! I doubt I'd take part in one of those chili challenge competitions but they're fun to watch. Some of those folks have much higher tolerances, and I thought I had a pretty high tolerance!

🥵

Cheers,

RR

Just reading this topic has set my sphincter aflame.
tenor.gif
Two years ago. I bought a variety pack of chile seeds. All it said on the envelope was what "could" be included in the assortment. My 25' by 8' deck was covered with pots of chiles. I had no idea what I was growing. In some pots, I guess I dropped in seeds of different chiles. I had no idea how the varieties could cross pollinate. Ultimately, I wound up with many very odd looking chiles. Truth be known, I grew them just for the hell of it. I had a fairly large crop. I slowly dried them after they ripened in my oven. After they were dried and ground, I was actually surprised at how small the quantity of dried ground chiles resulted. I sprinkled a bit with some salt on a hard boiled egg. To me, it was inedible.