House of Commons Snuffbox

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

Reaction score
A floral-scented snuff called "English Rose" is provided for members of the British House of Commons at public expense due to smoking in the House being banned since 1693[1].A famous silver communal snuff box kept at the entrance of the House was destroyed in an air raid during World War II with a replacement being subsequently presented to the House by Winston Churchill[2]. Very few members are said to take snuff nowadays.

I once worked with a Scotsman who went through the German Blitz on England.
He would tell stories in his thick brouge about "The Jerries" dropping bombs and
how he barely made it through alive,probably B.S.,but I liked to hear him talk.

Winslow :sunny:

Few people know that the same is true in both houses of the US Congress: a large snuff box is made available to members, free.

I would LOVE to know which type or brand of snuff is provided, and by whom!

The House of Lords snuff is "Attar of Roses" and is provided by Martin Magehey
tobacconists.He has an on-line website called "Magehey the Tobacconist".I've done
business with him in the past although the tobacco laws have changed since then.
Back in the very old days the Thames river was so obnoxious that a pinch of snuff
was the only way to mask the stench which wafted into the chambers of the House.

http://www.the-tobacconist.co.uk/

Winslow :sunny: