House Pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
I'm still on the search for a large-ish pipe for my end of the day smoke... the kind you can enjoy during a movie, etc. I had been recommended to look for a Peterson "house pipe" but I haven't had any luck finding one. I'm not stuck on a particular brand of pipe though, mainly the shape. The larger pipes I've found are all big, bent, calabash style pipes which I don't care for. I looked at some Big Bens for a bit... not sure.

Anyone have any links to some pipes that might fit this bill?

Thanks for the link on the house pipes - wow those are mucho dinero. :shock:

If i ever get my act together , Im gonna put up some big pipes for sale, but they are blasts. I think I have one extra large cutty though.

JJ what kind of coin are you looking at spending?

The Pete house pipes are big, for sure, but they certainly want serious money for them.

Have a look at Italian pipes - the Pesaro guys manage to put monster bowls in ordinary looking pipes somehow. Il Ceppo, Ser Jacopo, even Cavicchi. Ardor makes some MONSTER pipes....

Likewise the old 70s style Danish freehands are often very large. Nording still makes them, and Johs has a series of crazy huge pipes too, still under a hundred bucks I think.

I have a gigantic freehand in the shop right now. It's not finished yet, but if you are interested in that kind of thing, we should talk. It's far too large for the average buyer.

Sasquatch - I couldn't find some of those kinds of pipes, but the ones I found were pretty expensive.

I did look at Boswell, but they're all have drastic bends to them and most are blasted.

I contacted a maker about custom making one, but they want to know the dimensions - not sure what to tell them.

If you want a bigger than average but not goofy-big pipe, I would look at a bowl that is between 1.5 and 2" tall and drilled at 7/8" wide. That still smokes like a "regular" pipe - no special techniqes needed, but it will offer you a 2 hour smoke if you fill it.

Any pipe maker should be able to make a pipe that size from a medium to large block - it's not THAT big, but it would do the job you are looking to have done.

The other things you need to think about if you are going to commission one is what the basic shape is in fact going to be, and the stem material. If you want a hand cut stem in cumberland or ebonite, it will cost more than if you will accept a vulcanite stem that was pre-formed. Hand cut will treat you better, long term.

Texas Outlaw":rm9nsbgt said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the KW POYS. Now that is some serious mass!
I was just looking at then on Gray Fox and they currently have a pretty good selection of them. I have a couple of them myself that are massive. Very reasonably priced for a high grade!

EJinVA":ueawf0dx said:
Justpipes":ueawf0dx said:
Puff Daddy":ueawf0dx said:
The Peterson House Pipes listed at Cup O Joes that PD pointed out above seem very reasonably priced.
Seemed pretty steep ($370-$420 for the smooth finishes) to me too, guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
They are rather steep compared to Kaywoodies of the same or better quality.

Even the POY kaywoodies are not as big as the Pete house pipes. House pipes grab your eye from a long way away. They are monstrous.

That said, the kaywoodies do deserve a look, being a fairly large, good quality pipe. The handmades at GFO are cool too, and look REAL big.

The hang-up about these HUGE pipes is the fact that most folks don't have enough time to smoke an entire bowl! Seriously, I remember having a monsterous sized L'Anatra Gigante. It would take over two hours to smoke the damn thing. Who has that sort of time in this day and age? I would bet that the sales of big ass pipes have been on the decline since the economy bottomed out :lol:

Also, if you like flakes they're of absolutely no use to you at all especially if you don't rub them out. A bowl of Navy Flake in that L'Anatra I mentioned would likely take over a week. :cheers:

My Sav 619EX has a giant capacity, takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to smoke a full bowl. I drive for a living though so on 2-3 hour drives its nice to load it up before I leave the shop and just cruise.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":q0m1t1ud said:
It would take over two hours to smoke the damn thing. Who has that sort of time in this day and age?
That's exactly what I'm looking for though. When the weather starts to turn and it's dark at 5:30, we start watching tons of old movies. I want to be able to load it up and just relax.

Supposed to get a drawing tonight sometime from a pipemaker to look over. It's kind of difficult since his English is rather dodgy - but if we can understand each other eventually it'll be worth it.