How Dedicated Are You?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a very simple piper’s diary — pipe ... tobacco ... brief note on like / dislike. After a couple dozen entries, I can get a good idea if a given pipe likes any particular blend. If so, it gets dedicated. Some pipes seem willing to give any blend ago. I give these longer rests between smokes. If a pipe is too picky, I usually find it a new home. I agree with the POV that size and shape of bowl are the best predictors of what tobacco will do well in a pipe. I get plenty of blowback on this “What!You think you can tell how well a pipe will smoke without smoking it!” Bla bla, bla.

KevinM

Absolutely overall superb theory on matching blends with pipes, very smart... :cheers:

My book is called " My Pipe and Prayer book, the perfect match ".
My personal book of notes and scriptures.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

After reading all of these posts I was surprised by how many use the same pipe to smoke the different genres of tobacco. I was naive enough to think I was the only one that did this. I even use some of the same pipes to smoke Lakelands followed by any of the other types of tobacco. The added sweetness from the ghost sometimes really goes well with the blend being currently smoked. A word of caution though, Smoking a pipe that has been heavily ghosted by Lakelands doesn't result in a pleasant smoke when attempting to smoke a Lat. blend in that same pipe. Just saying... :no: :pale: :no:

AJ

I don't dedicate any one pipe to a separate tobacco. I smoke what appeals to me and which pipe I want to smoke at that time. Although, I have noticed that some tobaccos smoke and taste better in certain pipes than in other ones. I keep a mental note of that and sometimes I will smoke that particular tobacco in the same pipe as noted.

Corncobcon":w7qj5vp7 said:
I have noticed that some tobaccos smoke and taste better in certain pipes than in other ones.  
Yep, go with it!

I'm most like Lonecoyote in my smoking/pipe dealings; one blend for each pipe. It gives me a good excuse to (a) buy a new pipe and (b) buy a new, untried tobacco. Those of you with mathematical inclinations can easily spot the geometrical progression I've set up for myself with this "system".

On occasion I will smoke similar Virginias or VaPers in pipes that are in the spectrum, even though they were not dedicated specifically to it. No sweat, really. I don't smoke many English/Balkan blends these days, but I really enjoy those that I do and there is NO WAY I could put one of these blends in a pipe otherwise dedicated to a Virginia flake and not IMMEDIATELY taste the anomaly. Likewise, if I finished the bowl and then switched back to the original Virginia flake you can be sure I'd be spitting out the smoke in a useless attempt to rid the taste of the lingering "ghost" of the last bowl's English blend.

Finally, I have to chime in where this thread began and join AJ in praising Ozark Wizard's Pebble Castle. The good Wizard graced me with some of this blend last summer and I've been meaning to write him to advise him to try to get the folks at McClelland to market this blend on a mass scale and get a piece of the sales. It's an absolutely delicious, dare I say magical blend, and I can certainly see the logic behind AJ's saving it to smoke only on special occasions.

No dedication, except for aromatics, for me!!! I select a pipe (from my 150+), select the 'baccy, put 'baccy in pipe, light 'baccy. True aros (I smoke very little) go in a number of cherrywood, cob, maple, etc. pipes. My taste buds are so old that they don't recognize "ghosting!!" Burley, Ginnyweed, Va/Pers, Va/Burs, non-Latweed Orientals, and of course my beloved Latweeds all smoke quite nicely in my briars and Meers, plus others. Works for me and has for 53+ years of piping!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I should note that neither do I smoke "Lakelands!"

I also don't separate anything. In more than 30 years it's never caused me an issue. Ok I don't smoke lakelands at all but everything else is fair game.

Jim

Lonecoyote":xpbczc4h said:
Slowroll, in all honesty....
You should just smoke straight Latakia so you enjoy every smoke to perfection.

PS
Why would you smoke any tobacco other than Latakia???

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I've smoked latakia straight and it's unbelievable how mild it is....no kick at all for me

huffelpuff":nzozzt58 said:
I also don't separate anything. In more than 30 years it's never caused me an issue. Ok I don't smoke lakelands at all but everything else is fair game.

Jim
Yes, I'm a slut too!! And I do not indulge in lakelands either, I prefer smelling flowers in their natural habitat