How Dedicated Are You?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, to taste any good at all, everything needs a little latakia. I find that any non aromatic tobacco doesn't ghost enough to matter. Real tobacco doesn't ghost.8)

I don't smoke much English these days. Maybe 1/20 bowls? When I'm not smoking it, I'm not tasting it ghost my #2015 or Luxury Navy Flake. I have no doubt that people taste ghosts, but I tend to not be one of them. Maybe that is part of my sniffer and tongue that aren't sensitive? I can't say. I do know I don't have any difficulty talking taste nuance and detail with my chef friend, my fellow whiskey fanatics, other coffee nuts, etc. I never had a customer come back to be at the tobacco shop and complain I was off base in my recommendations for tobacco or cigars. But fact is, and thank goodness, the whole ghosting thing is lost on me. It has to be egregious for me to really notice. I mean, like someone smoked rancid bayou mud in an estate pipe for me to get a solid sense of ghosting. As I already stated, the goal is to have pipes that smoke everything I like and want to smoke in them. Everything. Anytime. Period.

Zeno said: As I already stated, the goal is to have pipes that smoke everything I like and want to smoke in them. Everything. Anytime. Period

Hear hear:cheers:

Zeno & Slowroll

Glad that way of enjoying your blends works out well for both of you, smoking in the same pipe.
If I did that I would know Latakia or an English blend was smoked in the pipe I'm now trying to enjoy a good Virginia Flake. I'd immediately pick up the ghost of the prior Lat or English blend. Everyone's different, that's what makes this hobby different for each individual.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Slowroll ":46cmn111 said:
Lone coyote-- everything tastes better with latakia or bacon
Yup, A fine red Carolina ribbon cut like McCraines or the wonderful brown sugar and molasses in Solani ABF would be wonderful with Latakia... :scratch: :fpalm: :fpalm:
Naaaaaaa, just not for me :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Slowroll, in all honesty....
You should just smoke straight Latakia so you enjoy every smoke to perfection.

PS
Why would you smoke any tobacco other than Latakia???

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":8mttcpch said:
monbla256":8mttcpch said:
dedicate ALL my pipes to the current blend I'm smoking
Does that mean you'll smoke a Latakia blend in the same pipe you previously smoked a Burley or Virginia? I had a pipe buddy that smoked ALL of his blends using any of his pipes.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
YEP !! 'Cept I don't smoke Burley blends. My approach to smoking and life is the K.I.S.S. principal. :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256 ":sbhm3pds said:
YEP !! 'Cept I don't smoke Burley blends. My approach to smoking and life is the K.I.S.S. principal
Yup, that principal works for many.

KEEP ON PUFFING WHATEVER YOU ENJOY!!!

Lonecoyote said:
Slowroll, in all honesty....
You should just smoke straight Latakia so you enjoy every smoke to perfection.

PS
Why would you smoke any tobacco other than latakia?

Well, it does need to be blended with a little something else to round it out after all, esp. Orientals, no burley.

Slowroll

Have you ever tried to make your own Latakia with the proper bacon oil to make your own pressed cake/kake? Sounds like that would be one I'd try one day.
I've made my own cakes/kakes for years :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":y3v04p7k said:
Slowroll

Have you ever tried to make your own Latakia with the proper bacon oil to make your own pressed cake/kake? Sounds like that would be one I'd try one day.
I've made my own cakes/kakes for years  :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Some things are just better done by other people who've been at it for their whole lives. ---wine, whiskey, tobacco, beer. Although I have pressed a few commercial blends with good results. I'm close to packing it in on blending my own. Done about 30 blends and none were as good as I can buy.

Slowroll ":0xiofks8 said:
Some things are just better done by other people who've been at it for their whole lives. ---wine, whiskey, tobacco, beer. Although I have pressed a few commercial blends with good results. I'm close to packing it in on blending my own. Done about 30 blends and none were as good as I can buy.
That's one good thing about living down South now. I can get my hands on many " top " leaf tobacco's down here. It's all about the quality of the ? leaf ? as well.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":am6tkg11 said:
Slowroll":am6tkg11 said:
That's one good thing about living down South now. I can get my hands on many " top " leaf tobacco's down here. It's all about the quality of the ? leaf ? as well.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
It certainly is. I have a lot of varietal tobacco from one notable manufacturer and they all taste and smell as though they were already burnt. Maybe the blending tobacco offerings are over cured seconds.

Slowroll ":z6szbxdv said:
It certainly is. I have a lot of varietal tobacco from one notable manufacturer and they all taste and smell as though they were already burnt. Maybe the blending tobacco offerings are over cured seconds.
How was the tobacco cured? If air cured they are then usually cased or steam pressed.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":kqpxecs6 said:
Slowroll":kqpxecs6 said:
How was the tobacco cured?  If air cured they are then usually cased or steam pressed.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Don't know the answer to that, only that they tasted like ash from the get go.

Slowroll ":bz45t48i said:
Don't know the answer to that, only that they tasted like ash from the get go.
Sounds like it was heat cured without proper ventilation. That will make the tobacco leaf have an ashy taste.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Good to know, although I have no way to know that beforehand. Oh well.