How did you learn to shave and how old were you?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
When I was a small kid I'd watch my father use his brush and mug and basin of hot water, making that white lather and brushing it on his face then taking his gold Gillette DE razor and shave all the lather off !! The Christmas ( to be politically correct Holiday Season :twisted: ) I was 16 I received my first shaving set, an Old spice shaving mug, a Williams soap puck and a Fat Boy Gillette DE razor and a boar bristle brush which came with the mug. I still have that old brush now it's worn down quite a bit. used all through 'Nam and college till I got my first Badger when I was 25. The first time I shaved, my father stood over my shoulder and guided me through my first shave and we were off to the races!! Been shaving that way and with Williams soap ever since !! I now use my father's old mug, which was his grandfathers and the same Gillette 109 adjustable razor I got back in '75! :twisted:
Any one else care to share their how they learned and when ? :twisted: :twisted:

Well dear old dad was not in my life much at that point (12-20) he was also frequently sporting a beard. As the boneheaded bastard I was I went out and bought an old straight razor at the age of 12 and went at it. Never having seen it done in person I was relying heavily on old movies I had seen. Didn't cut myself to ribbons and have been doing it that way ever since.

Jim

Nobody ever taught me. There were men who surely could have taught me, but being typically self-absorbed, impatient, Alpha type kings, they were too busy being stuck in their own heads. It necessarily follows that the only gear and products available to me were whatever I could grab out of our bathroom. Suffice to say, it didn't go well. I'm just learning to shave now.

I learned when I was 12. I got a Gilette Atra in my Christmas stocking. My dad used a safety razor so I followed his pattern, he didn't really "teach" me. I never did learn to use a safety razor, I should. I taught myself to shave with a straight razor at 40 for schitts and giggles. I asked my dad how but he had never used one, only a safety razor.

I taught myself to shave my legs when I got competitive about cycling. I have more scars from shaving my legs than my face.

I rarely do more than trim my whiskers anymore.

1702643861090.png

But seriously monbla really great thread and question good on you (y) I am really enjoying the bobs reminiscing stories as I can really relate to a lot of them.
I think when I was 8 or 10 years old I had a plastic razor that you could take apart and I would foam up in the bath and pretend to shave.
Dad mainly used an electric shaver so I think mum was probably my guiding light for how to use the Gillette safety razor.
A girlfriend bought me a fancy expensive electric shaver in my late 20s.
It left me with round scares/cuts like I had been attacked by the mighty Kraken Kraken - Wikipedia :ROFLMAO:
Only I could F#$% up an electric safety shaver .
In my 30s and 40s was just using tripple bladed safety razors and would chip my fellow workers if they had a 5 o clock shadow Designer stubble - Wikipedia and would say hey "you didnt stand close enough to the razor this morning" :ROFLMAO: what a task master.

But now in my 50s I am over shaving and love that I dont have to shave and dont have a missus telling me too, agggghhhh sorry for rambling monbla .

I was in grade school, and my beard started coming in early. I used a Gilette with the blue blades common at the time. I didn't like it. Several years later, after leaving the Army, I used a straight razor, lathering up with a mug and brush and I did like that. Then, several years after that, my little daughter gifted me at Christmas with a gold (i.e. brass) safety razor; so how could I not use it? My wife, fearing that our inquisitive children would some day get ahold of the straight razor and do themselves or each other some irreparable damage, got rid of it, and I use a safety razor to this day.

For the record, I have never had an electric razor that was good for anything but a paperweight.

Phillps, Braun, heads, foils - not one winner.

Considered an Epilady once, for cycling. Another non sequitor.

A dull butter knife shaves better than an electric.