How did you spend the first day of 2019?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3604

Reaction score
So, the new year has begun! Happy New Year to all Bob's! I'm not one for reflecting on the previous year per se or for making New Years resolutions. 2018 however had so many challenges, both good and not so good. Yesterday my wife and I ended up in a fruitful and yet at times difficult talk about some changes we need to make this year. Personally, there are some things that I need to work on, which I was realizing over the past year but that I hadn't actually verbalized. It was a refreshing discussion in the end. We then enjoyed the evening with friends at a euchre night arriving home in time to watch the New year come in on T.V.

This morning broke with brilliant sunshine and -15C after dropping a good 7 - 8'' of powder snow. So, I spent the first day of the year snow blowing for about 3 1/2 hours (which I enjoy by the way), sitting by an outside fire with my bride and enjoying the setting sun with bowl of Squadron Leader in a Brigham Sportsman and then BBQ'ing some honey garlic sausages on the Big Green Egg with some Wisers Deluxe in hand. All in all a wonderful way to start the year! It won't be a perfect year, but hopefully a peaceful and rewarding one - for all of us.

Anyone else wish to share their first day of 2019?

Nothing exciting here, the holidays have come and gone and we spent most of the time unpacking and trying to organize after the move.

Sounds like a good approach to your new year!

Me, well, every day is like Sunday these days. So nothing that new to report. But then change rarely happens on any type of schedule or timing that I'm aware of.

Nothing new here. Watched football bowl games most of the day. Helped the wife take down some of the Christmas decorations. It was just too cold out to get all of them down. Smoked several bowls today also. BTW, that's a nice home you have there.

Sounds and looks mighty nice Beeman, as it was nudging 40 C new years day here I drank too much beer and read some as it was too hot to do otherwise. Cold ham and salad made an excellent dinner.

Cheers

Tim

I spent most of Jan 1, 2019 at the worktable refurbishing a few pipes. Was a good day physically for me and I finished three pipes, including shaping an army mount stem for a Peterson X105. LOTS of hand filing and sanding on that one. Sadly it's not mine!  :(

(The photos that this member attempted to post would not load effectively on my system - and the resulting glitch made all text in this thread too small to read.  If the photos can be loaded with a max width of 650 that might work. If, however, they are loaded and continue to create problems they will be deleted.  Sorry for the inconvenience. - the Management.)

Simple Man - the Kilimanjaro is not oak - too soft for that. My best guess is mahogany (?). The wood is very light for the size and the pores are quite large.

Nothing out of the ordinary for me on Jan 1st. Played a lot of guitar, charted and finalized the arrangement on the tune I wrote for the new surf project. Exercised at the gym, and smoked a few bowls.

Fortunately the fireworks here were not near as awful as those back in WA state. So I was able to sleep through NYE - just about anyways.

Cheers,

RR

Spent the first day with a 10,000 lb tow strap yanking out 30 year old boxwoods so I can build a wheelchair ramp for my MIL this coming weekend (hopefully)

Geeze Timbo, 40C?! I couldn't handle that heat for long! Humid too I bet! I've experienced that once visiting my son in Florida one August a few years back. It was like hitting a wall as soon as you left the house!

beeman86":8m2limqj said:
Geeze Timbo, 40C?! I couldn't handle that heat for long! Humid too I bet! I've experienced that once visiting my son in Florida one August a few years back. It was like hitting a wall as soon as you left the house!
Yeah...dirty bad nasty heat. Yuk. Phooey.  

I don’t do heat.

It hits the 104 F mark here maybe once every three to four years.  That’s WAY too often.  I’m thinking it should sorta be a century type thing...like about five years before you’re born and then again five years after you’ve gone...give or take a year.  Around here, into the 90’s is tolerable...triple digits are NOT acceptable.

Good thing we put in whole house AC about 5 years ago.  Best investment we ever made.  It takes 20 F off the outside temp and removes the humidity. That’s just right.

ontariopiper":hcjnyf4m said:
I spent most of Jan 1, 2019 at the worktable refurbishing a few pipes. Was a good day physically for me and I finished three pipes, including shaping an army mount stem for a Peterson X105. LOTS of hand filing and sanding on that one. Sadly it's not mine!  :(

(The photos that this member attempted to post would not load effectively on my system - and the resulting glitch made all text in this thread too small to read.  If the photos can be loaded with a max width of 650 that might work. If, however, they are loaded and continue to create problems they will be deleted.  Sorry for the inconvenience. - the Management.)
Hope you're doing a blog on that Peterson!

Blackhorse":ahyykaki said:
beeman86":ahyykaki said:
Yeah...dirty bad nasty heat. Yuk. Phooey.  

I don’t do heat.

It hits the 104 F mark here maybe once every three to four years.  That’s WAY too often.  I’m thinking it should sorta be a century type thing...like about five years before you’re born and then  again five years after you’ve gone...give or take a year.  Around here, into the 90’s is tolerable...triple digits are NOT acceptable.

Good thing we put in whole house AC about 5 years ago.  Best investment we ever made.  It takes 20 F off the outside temp and removes the humidity. That’s just right.
Up here we get hot and humid mostly just in July and August. Most of that time is tolerable and our house doesn't heat up too fast unless its bad several days in a row. In a few years we'll need a new furnace. At that time we'll likely put in A/C. I do miss it from or last home.

Yeah it’s been a bit warm here the last few days Beeman, thankfully where I’ve moved to sits on around 50% relative humidity most days unless we’ve a storm come in. I don’t mind the heat so much, it’s the humidity which kills me. Also our house is double brick so inside is around 26 degrees, far more comfortable and no aircon required yet.

At the old place on the coast, the RH would be around 85-95 and the temp would be pushing 44 or so, the aircon was on 24/7 and we still felt we were melting when we went outside. The lower RH here means I can actually enjoy a pipe at this time of year, it used to be cigarillos on the coast as they were a short, tasty smoke in the heat outside which was all I could endure.

Cheers

Tim

Great vista there Beeman! Something clean looking about a snowscape.

We had a friend and his family who's still in the Service come over to see the new year in. We spent part of new year's day walking around a local nature reserve and the Shropshire Union Canal. It was a cool, grey winter's day here in Blighty; nothing like your picture! Good to be outdoors thought with friends and family.

I went to work as usual on Tuesday, and everything was closed. I got caught up on a few things, and my wife texted me to say she thought Jan. 1 was a day off for most people. I should find a good stopping point and come home. I did that.

I probably had the least exciting Jan. 1 on the forum.