how do you date tins...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankluke

Reaction score
... without out date codes? and to get more to the point, dunhill tins, lets say the last 10 years of production.

From memory

Bottom of tin:Murrey tins have little white stickers.
Orlik has large white stickers

Almost all of the Orlik stuff says 'made in the EU'
Murreys said 'Made in the UK'

There were several changes in wording on top the tin but without looking at them its hard for me to remember. Nailing down the exact year will be almost impossible.

In general: There are a lot of sites with pics of tins from various eras. Its also handy to check out old catalogs and such. This will give a lot of clues as to what you have.

Even tho it doesn't help a lot I date the tins when I recieve them unless they are alreaady dated. Some of the others I have no idea how to date them so thats why I ask when its needed and people that know more than I do know the dates somehow. Thanks for the help PB :cyclops: :sunny: :sunny:

part 2

i found some dusty old escudo tins, anybody know how to date that??
tobacconist was new at the B&M, he didn't know anything about the pipe baccy, just cigars.

Not much more help than I was with Dunhill but its a start...

Look above the red 'Escudo' on the lid... If it says Copes jump up and down you hit gold...unsure when the manufactorer changed but it was before I was born..
Gallaher made the blend from then up until mid ninties when it was discontinued for a few years.. (some pics of Gallahers tins, They still said Copes on em,Didn't know that until I got curious.. http://www.finepipes.com/Tobacco.htm Notice the tin from the 60's gives an addy on the bottom while the one from the 80's just said made in the united kingdom )

A&C Peterson took up the blend in the late 90's 96,97,98
If it has 'ACP' in a seal looking deal its the 'Newer' manufactorer..theres three 'stages' of the newer tins
The oldest says Made in the Kingdom of Denmark on the lid and on the sticker on the back..
The middle production (when it was switched to Germany) has Made in the Kingdom of Denmark on the lid, but Made in the EU on the back sticker..
The very newest will have Made in the EU on the lid and the sticker.

Hope that helps in some small way.

puros_bran":kybwgu4z said:

Look above the red 'Escudo' on the lid... If it says Copes jump up and down you hit gold...unsure when the manufactorer changed but it was before I was born..
Gallaher made the blend from then up until mid ninties when it was discontinued for a few years.. (some pics of Gallahers tins, They still said Copes on em,Didn't know that until I got curious.. http://www.finepipes.com/Tobacco.htm Notice the tin from the 60's gives an addy on the bottom while the one from the 80's just said made in the united kingdom )

If it has 'ACP' in a seal looking deal its the 'Newer' manufactorer..theres three 'stages' of the newer tins
The oldest says Made in the Kingdom of Denmark on the lid and on the sticker on the back..
The middle production (when it was switched to Germany) has Made in the Kingdom of Denmark on the lid, but Made in the EU on the back sticker..

so, would it be safe to say "middle production" might have been tinned 3/5 years ago? cause i believe these are what i found, i'll have to double check to make sure tomorrow.

puros_bran":29o3om8u said:

Actually, I think PB is playing with my mind :p Everytime he posts about Escudo dates I haul my tins off the shelf and examine them... the one that I keep scratching my head about has the white back label marked "Made in Denmark". I marked it as bought in 2005 in Canada. But the top label does say "Made in the Kingdom of Denmark". I think Canada doesn't recognize any other monarchy other than the British monarch :lol:

:D Paul

I think it was late 05 or early 06 when Orlik took the blends production over. So anywhere from 1-3 years old.
I've just now started seeing the 'Made in EU' on both front and back.

FWIW: there are guys here a lot better at tin dating than me, Dont know why they haven't chimed in.

Puffs that would be about right.. Thats how they were marked before Orlik took over production.

Hold it you meant the sticker didn't say 'kingdom' .... I don't remember if all the stickers had kingdom or not, maybe a diff in Can/Us importer stickers or it could be bad memory, or hell it might even be another clue to tin dating.

Sailorman Jack and I had many conversations on the subject of dating Murray's made Dunhill tins. We researched the possibility of the batch numbers on the sides of the tins having some signifigance as to when they were tinned and we came up empty everytime! Unfortunately only vague generalities are possible. If the tin has the long classic dunhill block lettering it was likely made before the mid 1990's. If it's got the currsive style Dunhill lettering it was likely made after. Orlik uses a large round sticker that covers the entire bottom of the tin. Lane used a small rectangular sticker that said Lane Tucker,GA along with the oz's.....

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

I have never dated a tin. I guess I would if I thought it had a nice can...and a good vaccum...seal...

I will shut up now.