How do you deal with cooking grease?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Jar it when cooled a bit. When the jar is full, put the lid on and toss it in the garbage. Residual grease on pans can be broken down with detergent. Down the drain or garbage disposal is a no-no, by all indications, no matter how hot  the rinse water you use. It has to cool and solidify somewhere. One could always make soap, I suppose, if so inclined. Or use it in your hair for a slick look. But those 'bergs are disgusting. Don't contribute.

Richard, I agree with you...grease down the drain is a no no.
I primarily use oils (olive, canola, etc) as opposed to fats (lard, butter, etc) when I try to cook.
Most of the foods I cook are lean meats and vegetables.
Afterwards there is some crud in the pan that just does not pour into a jar.
My only solution was descried above.
In addition to using a paper towel I am also tying adding salt to the pan and wiping with a paper towel.

Bub":besp78zx said:
...In addition to using a paper towel I am also tying adding salt to the pan and wiping with a paper towel.
Scrubbing with kosher salt is a great way to clean cast iron.

1. Jar it up in pretty jars, tie ribbons on the jars, then put labels on ‘em that make it sound and look like expensive goods from a specialty shop. Then send ‘em to relatives you don’t like at Christmas.

2. Put ‘em in Fed Ex or UPS boxes and set ‘em on yer porch.

Scrubbing with salt does wonders to absorb grease in the pan but good hot soapy water will break down the residual oils from cooking just fine. If I have a particularly greasy pan I will put a good amount of soap in the pan with a cup of hot water and put it on the stove to boil. A pair of stainless tongs with a stainless scrubber pad while piping hot gets all the grease broken down fine. Let cool and pour down the drain. I have and do save oils for oil lamps but don't use them very often any more as my camping days are pretty much past. Hope this helps.

Jim

Oh also a spoonful of flour in the pan will soak up grease like nobodies business and can be turned into a sauce or just scrapped out into the garbage.