How do you decide?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
What questions do you ask yourself when you are trying to decide if you should buy a pipe?
Do you ask: (1) Its been a year and I haven't bought a pipe, (2) I always wanted one of those pipes, (3) that's a great deal, how can I pass it up, (4) its not in our budget, (5) my spouse will kill me, (6) this pipe will complete my collection, (7) I want to smoke this pipe on a beautiful fall day when the Canadian geese are flying over head (8) etc...
Maybe I am just looking for a reason that I can relate to.
Thanks for your help,
Bub

If you have to talk yourself into it, it will eventually be traded or sold. If the pipe talks to you, the romance will last (presuming it smokes OK).

I use to attempt to convince myself that there was a rhyme or reason to it as in the examples that you suggested but I have come to the conclusion that there isn't. We might justify it with the above mentioned excuses at the time, but the bottom line is, we just want the pipe. :D

I agree with you LL. As a regular visitor to various web sites, the pipes that have spoken to me have been gone in a flash. While I look at this as a loss, I can also see it as a blessing. Maybe a handful of pipes and some good tobacco is enough. Ugh...I hate to say that.
Bub

I took Latin many years ago, and while I can not conjugate a verb, I do remember just a little bit about mythology. This dilemma reminds me a little bit about Scylla and Charybdis.
I found the following on the internet:
"Among the many hazards said to have been faced by Odysseus on his epic sea voyage were Scylla and Charybdis, immortal and irresistible beings who lurked menacingly on either side of a certain narrow passage of water which the Greek hero had to negotiate in order to continue his journey. Scylla was an impressive twelve feet in length, boasted six long, snaking heads, and had loins unappealingly girt with the heads of baying dogs. Charybdis, on the other hand, spent most of its time skulking under a fig tree on the opposite shore. Three times a day, however, it would bestir itself to gulp down most of the waters of the passage and then belch them forth in a bloody-minded effort to make life just about as difficult as possible for any hapless seafarers."
I don't recall if this has a happy ending.
Bub

Bub":3675j6ja said:
I don't recall if this has a happy ending.
Odysseus wisely heeds divine advice to choose the passage past Scylla: six of his men are devoured, but Charybdis would have killed the entire crew and scuttled the ship. (Kind of a moot point, since Odysseus' crewmen were all fated to die on the voyage home, because of their hubris after the Trojan War.)

I prefer to see it not as a dilemma, but the Ecclesiastical situation: There is a time to buy, and a time to refrain from buying, and each has its purpose under Heaven.

Thanks Doc, that's great.
How do the Ides of March and post Christmas sales fit into the equation?
Bub

I'm with LL and JP,,,I don't choose the pipe,,,the pipe chooses me,,,,and I wish PB had waited a while to announce the new Danpipe catalog being available,,,several pipes enticing me with their curvacious lines and seductive promises,,,,

Mark wrote:
several pipes enticing me with their curvacious lines and seductive promises,,,,
Doc wrote:
Sirens--seductive, but dangerous

When I see a pipe that speaks to me I ask myself, "Is there money in the checking account?" If the answer is no, I ask myself,, "Do I have my credit card in my wallet?" :oops:

The Latin you're looking for is, De gustibus non disputandem.

Liking anything is completely a-rational. Reason has not one blessed thing to do with it. You like what you like because you like it, and that's that. End of story.

:face: