How do you rub yours out?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
A recent post else where got me to thinking about it. Everybody must have there own little quirks.

Personally, I just use my hands whenever I do. Seems the simplest way, and it works well. Use to be only at home, and I'd take my time a do a real thorough job of it. Nowadays I'm a bit better at it and do it on the fly. I don't bother much letting it dry after either. Seems to be about right straight from the tin most times.

PS- I realized about halfway through writing this it could be comedic gold. So, for you 2nd graders out there... insert the proper variation of the word flake as need be lol.

I rub it out between my fingers over a small saucer. This seems to collect the errant bits and pieces, but some inevitably fly around and land on the floor if I'm not careful.

Tried the full palm technique but that's too sloppy.

No inference to the "other" meaning. :silent:

Cheers,

RR

SERIOUSLY???

I'm 65 years old so it takes time to do it right :lol!: :lol!:

You left the door opened and I had too enter :cheers:

NOW JEV, your response truly makes sense now...lmao

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Brewdude ":t62lfoq1 said:
Rande. Now that's a good one!!!

Just reading your response I'm now laughing with tears going down my face...thanks....I needed that. Just keep on adding too this great thread.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Jevverrett":uh72zl04 said:
...PS- I realized about halfway through writing this it could be comedic gold. So, for you 2nd graders out there... insert the proper variation of the word flake as need be lol.
You rang, sir? Are you alluding to being alone at night with wine, soft music, and candlelight? Yeah, I use my hands too. Or, to be exact, just one. Usually. Unless things become intense.

RB, I knew you would chime in immediately...lol

All kidding aside....
One of my favorite Flake tobacco's is Rattray's Marlin Flake which smoking this blend for years I simply break it up into small pieces than rub it between two fingers into a tobacco tray. Usually let it rest for 30 to 60 minutes. Depends how moist the blend/Flake is.
GREAT POST!!!

PS
Must add, I don't care for Cube cutting and then stuffing a pipe. I find rubbing it out brings out a richer flavor with no harshness. Also burns better, just my opinion.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Nobody folds and stuffs? I always do, with MacBaren's Navy, for some reason, possibly influenced by their video on the subject. Others, not as much.

I guess I'm more into fold and stuff than rubbing out. The prior lasts longer than the latter.

Better with company too.

Richard Burley":ev5sqjod said:
Nobody folds and stuffs? I always do, with MacBaren's Navy, for some reason, possibly influenced by their video on the subject. Others, not as much.
Rarely, and just on a whim.   Too much work.
I rub out with my fingers over a sheet of paper.

I usually just hold the flake between my thumb, index, and middle finger and rub it with my thumb in a rolling motion. I do this while holding my hand over an open empty tin or sheet of folded paper. :)

AJ

Any type of Navy roll or P S LBF I rub out well into a tobacco tray. I've rolled and stuffed a few times but I notice when rubbed out properly the tobacco has a more complex taste.
I find it to be worth the time and effort and it's the " SPORT " of pipe smoking.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":9lq06as2 said:
Brewdude":9lq06as2 said:
Rande. Now that's a good one!!!

Just reading your response I'm now laughing with tears going down my face...thanks....I needed that. Just keep on adding too this great thread.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Just realized the double entendre here Ted. I swear I didn't mean it like that but did have a belly laugh when I read your post!

:lol!:

Cheers,

RR

Mac Baren and erinmore fold and stuff easily. Anything from S&G, G&H or C&D not so much. I generally prefer the not so much companies blends, so burns me.

It starts conversations, bc most people have never seen flake tobacco. The other day I took my kids to the park, and sat off by myself a little ways to smoke some st James flake. Got some weird looks from the moms around lol. A few came around once they smelled it. Grandpa comments and such. Or say in a restaurant after dinner. The waitress is usually curious about it.

I'm a bit red faced over here lol. Trying to not write about people's reactions to me rubbing out in public places. I feel better now lol.

I use both palms, rubbing it out into very fine pieces over a piece of paper.

Either Gawiths's need a pretty good rubbing. McClelland flakes I can push from both ends and it crumbles into a nice ball for loading. Mac Baren's gets a fold, twist and push, stood on end in the bowl and fires right up, burns like a dream.

At least for me.....

With regular flakes I'm a fold and stuff type of chap. I 'Z' fold a flake into thirds, roll, roughen up a little and then pop it into the bowl. Very little mess, quick and easy. :)

A little personal don't ya think :twisted: .... oh! you mean tobacco !! :twisted: I usually take my rectangular flakes and fold in half length wise then take that and fold again cross wise then I take this and rub thoroughly then load up my pipe and go to Red Va heaven :twisted: :twisted:

I've just realised I went a little off piste. When I do rub out a flake I tend to crumble it between thumb and forefingers like one would crumble a pastry mix.

[feeling pretty pleased that I remained professional and fought the overwhelming urge to break into some pure smuttiness].

Fold & stuff or rub out a bit between thumb and top of fingers...all depending on the "feel" of the flake. With round cuts, I typically fold and stuff; then tear out a roundel about the diameter of the pipe bowl. I place that on top of the "stuffed" tobacco. Seems to help with an even fire head!!: cheers: FTRPLT