How do you rub yours out?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I've had limited success with the fold and stuff method. Think I only got it right once, or maybe twice. And that's for the more pliable flakes such as PS and the like, or even the coins of Escudo and their ilk.

For me it's just better to rub them out between my index and middle finger and thumb onto a saucer and then spread out a bit to facilitate drying. I do prefer a slightly dryer 'baccy than perhaps some do.

Cheers,

RR

I can say that rubbing out a bunch and keeping them in a mason jar is a bad idea. I did this with a bunch of erinmore once, and ruined it.

I'm surprised I haven't heard anything out of Dr T on this one. I know he's a big fan of salty dogs.

Jevverrett":lwkemi0l said:
I can say that rubbing out a bunch and keeping them in a mason jar is a bad idea. I did this with a bunch of erinmore once, and ruined it.

I've got 3 pounds of Penzance done this way, no problems yet.

Fold and stuff -- self explanatory, I guess. I use some of the crumbs to sprinkle on top to promote an even light. I've experimented with "fold side" down and "fold side" up configurations and don't see enough of a difference to make a clear choice. Use of the sprinkles helps give an even lighting surface in both cases.

Rub out -- I usually use a large ashtray as a base. I just roll the flake between my hands until I have a springy tobacco ball slightly smaller than the pipe bowl(a pot, generally). Then insert said tobacco ball into said pot bowl,  let it expand to fill the bowl, and then light 'er up. If I'm using a pipe with a tall, skinny bowl, I try to end up with a tall, skinny gob of tobacco and slide it into place. I try to rub out the tobacco only enough to match the pipe bowl, since this seems to produce best taste and cool burning. I stop the rubbing before it gets to the "ready rubbed" point. Using this method with a conical bowl can leave an air space at the bottom which seems to alleviate bitterness at the end.

Brewdude":fbrvbcvl said:
So far I've had limited success with the fold and stuff method. Think I only got it right once, or maybe twice. And that's for the more pliable flakes such as PS and the like, or even the coins of Escudo and their ilk.

RR
Rande, you've probably been on this journey but just in case...

I found the trick was to rough up the plug before sliding into the bowl. Fold into thirds across the grain (a 'Z' fold), roll with grain - and here's the important bit - holding the plug between your thumb and 2 forefingers of each hand, flex the plug along its length. You're not looking to flex as if snapping a pencil, but keep your finger tips moving parallel to each other. This will give the plug a springiness. Slide it in and light her up! This works really well with regular cut flakes like a SG. Works for me!

I'm going to have to try that one. I've never managed to get an SG flake to work for me folded.

Stick":njh298k6 said:
Brewdude":njh298k6 said:

RR
Rande, you've probably been on this journey but just in case...

I found the trick was to rough up the plug before sliding into the bowl.  Fold into thirds across the grain (a 'Z' fold), roll with grain - and here's the important bit - holding the plug between your thumb and 2 forefingers of each hand, flex the plug along its length.  You're not looking to flex as if snapping a pencil, but keep your finger tips moving parallel to each other.  This will give the plug a springiness.  Slide it in and light her up!  This works really well with regular cut flakes like a SG.  Works for me!
David mate, I'll try your method next time I have a flake that will work with that technique. I have to admit I've only tried the "fold and stuff" thing maybe twice, and the first time it worked OK. The second time not so much. Given that you and others have such success with this prods me into revisiting it.

Perhaps one can teach an old dog a new trick!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Generations ago some very wise person said, "Where there's a will there's a way." I've found this true too many times to be a coincidence. :)

AJ

Slowly.

In all seriousness though I tend to either take my flakes and fold and stuff vary much as Stick described. Or i will take an amount I know will fill the bowl in question and just wad it up into a brillo pad type plug of tobacco that I just slip into the bowl, light and go. Both work just fine for me. I also enjoy cube cutting flakes and gravity feeding those.

Jim

I've also discovered when you rub out any Navy flake or bullseye there is more complexity with no dull moments in between. Is this just me??

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!