How do you smoke Embarcadero?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
How do you smoke Embarcadero which is a GLP blend?
In case you have not tried it yet, Tobaco Reviews say that it is "Rich, ripe red virginias are combined with top-grade Izmir leaf, pressed and aged in cakes, then sliced into flakes and tinned."
I have been packing it in a pipe a lighting it. While it has a great flavor, it is hard to keep my pipe going. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bub

I rub all my flakes (broken or not) completely out. I seem to have best results if I rub it out and let it sit for thirty minutes or so but I don't always want to wait.

I have a very small Kitchen Aide hand operated food chopper that I use for all of the flake tobacco's that I smoke. I found it at Home Depot of all places and have used it for a couple of years now.

mdmiller5":pj5sqt98 said:
I have a very small Kitchen Aide hand operated food chopper that I use for all of the flake tobacco's that I smoke. I found it at Home Depot of all places and have used it for a couple of years now.
That is an interesting idea Mike!

As it comes, flake style. Flakes oriented vertically in the bowl, and a much looser pack than you'd think necessary.

:face:

I like to pack the large flakes gently but moderately tightly into the bottom 2/3 of the pipe, then find the small "crumbs" at the bottom of the container or rub out some flakes to a rather fine, broken, almost powder, dry it a bit, and make that the top layer. It lights easily and gets the rest going. Works for me.

Natch

I rub it out and very loosely pack it, seems to work pretty well for me.

:pipe:

I actually got a tin of this in yesterday and smoked 2 bowls of it.

I rubbed it out (it rubs out quite easily, more so than any other flake I've encountered to date).

I packed my pipe using the "Frank Method", however, my packing skills still suck big time.

While the tobacco seemed drier than most, especially for a brand new tin, it still seemed to smoke wet and went out frequently. I do believe that I had it packed a bit too tight.

This tobacco was excellent though. Vibrant zesty with some citrus notes. I found the texture of the smoke very creamy. There was little to no tongue bite.

Being a beginner (since I've been away from pipes for almost 10 years), I lost the ability to identify certain flavors with tobaccos, but this stuff has immediately become my favorite Pease blend.

It's also different from anything else I've smoked recently. I highly recommend it but wish I could just get my packing and smoking skills up to snuff. :oops:

I'm not sure it's just the packing. Have you tried spreading out a bowl's worth of tobacco and letting it dry out for an hour or two before smoking? Most GLP blends come a little too moist in the tin, IMO.

No haven't tried that. I just left the lid off for about 15 minutes. Smoked it again last night and did a much better job with the packing.

Overall a much improved smoking experience. :cheers: