How do you store your pipe long term?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggman

Reaction score
I have several of my open tins and bulk tobaccos stored in mason jars. Some are in ziplock storage bags inside of the mason jars. I have 2 bags of lane 1q that is in vacuum storage bags. They were sent to me by showme1or2 back in 2004. I haven’t opened them yet to try it out. I’m thinking this week I’ll try one out. I’ve heard good things about this blend.

Has anyone else used vacuum storage bags to store tobacco long term or even short term? If so any up side or down side to using these bags?

When I buy in bulk, I transfer the tobacco into canning jars. When I buy tins, I usually buy two or more and keep them that way. If I open tins, I put the tobacco in jars also. Long term for me is about 2 years so far! I keep my tobacco in a cool and dry walk-in closet. I don't worry about it too much.

I have used the vacuum seal bags to press tobaccos for blending. I've not left any thing in them longer than about 6 months though. If you can smell the tobacco through the plastic odds are it will lose moisture or oils during storage, which does not make for good smoking. Glass seems to be the way to go for long term storage unless you have access to some pretty expensive and hard to get tin canning equipment.

Jim

huffelpuff":g80sw4js said:
I have used the vacuum seal bags to press tobaccos for blending. I've not left any thing in them longer than about 6 months though. If you can smell the tobacco through the plastic odds are it will lose moisture or oils during storage, which does not make for good smoking. Glass seems to be the way to go for long term storage unless you have access to some pretty expensive and hard to get tin canning equipment.

Jim
What he said. Virtually all plastic breathes.

Yup, there are a few specialty multilayer Mylar type bags that are supposedly 8-12 layers and are considered airtight but with any serious repeated flexing or improper handling can comprise this stuff though. Better safe than sorry is my motto!

Jim

I avoid plastic when I have anything planned longterm. I've lost food items to plastic leeching. A few months is fine, but beyond that, I use glass. I have some older Lexan Nalgene bottles I used for camping, and even those now have a smell to them. I'm not fanatical about it at all, but given a choice to use plastic, glass, or stainless steel when it comes to anything going near my mouth, I always choose glass or stainless steel.

I recently bought a few of these at World Market; they're glass, super tight seal, less than 3 bucks each.  Easy in, easy out.  Small label stuck to the top is easy to change if you change blends.

hf3p4KUl.jpg

Everything I’ve got, if not in an unopened tin, is in mason jars, from pints to quarts. Plastic won’t keep tobacco beyond a few months, and I wouldn’t even go that long with it.

I think it should be mentioned, for the economically challenged and/or more frugal of us, don't be afraid to reuse grocery jars. Salsa jars seal better and more consistently [for me] than canning jars. They're my favorite. Wide mouthed and short. I eat natural peanut butter that comes in glass jars, and those are also great jars and are also better than canning jars from my experience. Same for some spaghetti sauce brands. I boil the lids for a few minutes to sterilize and remove any residual smells, but for short-term uses, I wouldn't even bother doing that. I simple dishwasher washing would be sufficient for those short-term uses. But get as OCD and overkill as you'd like. Whatever brings you peace. But use 'em. You already paid for them. Why not continue to make use of them?

For short term stuff that I'm smoking right now I'm partial to jelly jars. The size is more manageable than the quart sauce and salsa jars. I found one the other day I had misplaced when we moved over a year ago. It had sucked the seal down and was happily fermenting away. The tobacco was perfectly moist and ready to smoke.

Jim

I have some in plastic bags in some cigar traveldors. Came sealed and I dropped them in since it seals real tight. Open it up and it smells like the tobacco blend. Plastic leaks! I do need to make a run for more jars here soon. Been buying a lot of bulk lately.