How does your better half react to different roomnotes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
williamcharles":eukie6bd said:
Mine generally hates aros but doesn't mind english/balkas or the offering from G&H or SG.
The second one like this I've ever come across. So, she doesn't like cavs either?

My girl tends to dislike aros, which I tend to smoke around her. I figured she'd like them better than a Lat blend or VA. I didn't find out until last night that they don't smell like real tobacco to her. I was smoking some Blue Mountain the other night and she made a comment on how good it smelled. Then last night I had a bowl of Grey Havens and she couldn't stop raving about how good it smelled. I guess she's a Lat and VAper kinda girl... I may have a keeper here.

No problems with mine smelling anything she dislikes, she cant even smell the dog fart that chases me out of the room.
Oh! and get this, she tells me to "breath through your mouth" when he farts.
Yeah! Like I wanna taste it too.

My wife just stuck her head in the room and said the Boswell's No Bite Delite I was smoking smelled good.

Smokey

My wife loves the aroma of aromatic tobaccos; smoked or unsmoked. However, I've always smoked outside. Going to try to create a smoking den in the basement.

Well I thought my wife would hate my two blends a 2020 from a local tobacconists and my dunhill night cap but she actually likes the smell of the non aromatics

christeaux":xsv9gnuq said:
Well I thought my wife would hate my two blends a 2020 from a local tobacconists and my dunhill night cap but she actually likes the smell of the non aromatics
SHE'S A KEEPER :p Better be NICE to that lady :p

Luckily my GF hasn't made a complaint yet and she encourages my hobby. I don't smoke inside much as most of the time don't want my apt smelling like smoke for days after. Call me weird.

Wife came home tonight while I was enjoying a bowl of burly on the porch and said it smelled great. She's partial to aeros so I was surprised. Especially something considering it was a 3 year old tin of SWR I've been reluctant to try.

Jim

She usually comes over to me, walks up to the pipe collection, grabs one and a jar of "Jenny's 'Baccy" and joins in.

Yep, shes a keeper.

My fiance is a non-smoker, but her father smokes pipes and cigars, so she is used to it. Whenever I light up she'll say something like, "Are you smoking that Peter Stokkebye English Luxury again?" I just smile and say, "Yes dear, how ever did you know?" To which she will respond, "I just know."

And she DOES. Sometimes better than I do. :D She never tells me that my pipes smell bad, but if it is not her fancy she does say, "That one smells a bit strong, dear."

I knew I was going to marry her when I was sitting on the back porch watching the rain, and she brings me a properly loaded pipe and a hot cup of coffee. What a gal!

My better-half doesn't complain so much about the room-note (unless I'm smoking a Latakia bomb ala 10 Russians), but rather about the latent smell of smoke clinging to my moustache. The only exception to this rule seems to be when I'm smoking an aromatic, she doesn't mind the lingering wiff of caramel, fruit, or vanilla so much.

In addition, she gets a little grumpy if I smoke in her car; but she puts up with it, as it's better than the other option (coffin nails, which of course stink up a vehicle like nothing else).

When I started breaking in my first pipes I usually only smoked outside of the hotel when I was away for work. But when I was at home I would go down to the woodshed, which is attached to the basement of our house. My daughter and wife could still smell it upstairs in our sitting room. At the time I was smoking Savinelli Cavendish and they were so receptive of the room note that I was told it was OK to smoke in the house. When I started trying some of my SG and GLP blends I was still getting pretty good reviews along with comparison to previous samples so I decided to start a spreadsheet to record the responses as well as keep track of various other information such as tips and observations. I have ranked them in order of preferred room note in my list but now that I am beginning to gain experience I'm thinking about doing another list or adding a way to rank how I like the various blends. So far the only negative review has been that the GLP Piccadilly is somewhat "acrid" as compared to the others. Maybe the Latakia in the blend?

I do smoke in my company van, always with the window cracked open and the fan at least on low. On long trips it helps keep me awake. I haven't yet noticed any objectionable odor lingering in the vehicle. When we bought our car from a dealer I didn't notice the stale cigarette odor until the day or so after we got it. I was able to eventually get that odor out but haven't yet smoked a pipe in my own car. If I did I'm not sure how well that would be received by my wife.

Divorce and the left of my wine and rare whisk(e)y collection. Lets not talk about all my childhood toys and comics...... Oh well, got the tools and tobacco(cigars, pipes & tins)

Life, gotta try it all :affraid:

Joe

All my smoking is done outside or in the garage with the door to the outside ajar. Thankfully I live in an area where the climate is pretty good all year round. My wife doesn't smoke. She doesn't mind some of the milder blends but if I am going to smoke Billy Budd or Penzance I can almost guarantee that I'll hear something like "you NEED a shower!"

Is the TOB Black Russian in the OP tinderbox black russian? Just making sure

I was trying out my first bowl of PS LTF last night and my wife says, "Boy that smells nummy. It makes me want to eat it." Guess that one gets added near the top of the room note ranking list :D . I liked it well too but maybe not as well as LBF.

Ocelot55":f5qlfz7n said:
My fiance is a non-smoker, but her father smokes pipes and cigars, so she is used to it. Whenever I light up she'll say something like, "Are you smoking that Peter Stokkebye English Luxury again?" I just smile and say, "Yes dear, how ever did you know?" To which she will respond, "I just know."

And she DOES. Sometimes better than I do. :D She never tells me that my pipes smell bad, but if it is not her fancy she does say, "That one smells a bit strong, dear."

I knew I was going to marry her when I was sitting on the back porch watching the rain, and she brings me a properly loaded pipe and a hot cup of coffee. What a gal!
WOW! A keeper for sure! I need to teach my lady how to load a pipe... I'll start with ribbon and shag cuts then move on to flakes. :p