How harmful to your health is Pipe smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonomo

Reaction score
Hey everyone – not looking to start a holy war here but looking for some honest feedback and insight. What are the true health risks with smoking a pipe? It is my understanding that it’s probably the least harmful form of tobacco use but even so, I wonder how harmful it actually is. In other words, I don’t want to be in a situation where I am OK with being addicted to pot because “at least its not heroin”, or something to that affect. I will be a pipe smoker for the foreseeable future but want to better understand this aspect.

What got me to thinking about this was cleaning my Falcon and Kirsten pipes. I am always amazed at the liquid gunk that is left over. If that’s what’s left over, where’s the other gunk going? Presumably into my mouth, tongue, skin. I know just breathing air in the year 2014 can be harmful so I am not looking to “defend pipe smoking” or compare it to the other things that are harmful. I am really trying to better understand everyone’s insight on this topic. I’ve Googled and searched by am looking for your knowledge here. Thanks everyone.

Z

Zono,
Maybe I am living in a fool's paradise but I cling to some of the studies that suggest pipe smokers actually live longer that non-smokers. This is probably the result of the personality traits of the laid-back pipe smoker rather than pipe smoking itself.
I think as long as you only smoke 1-3 bowls per day and don't inhale, you aren't doing much harm to yourself IMHO. Many other health factors come into play however.
Keep in mind, I'm not a doctor, even though I play one on TV.  :fpalm: 

Having not been around BoB much lately spending alot of time with family and friends at a palitive care room with my father in law. A cig smoker all his life (67) with COPD and only 11 % of his lung capaciy left has really opened my eyes to the effects of smoking. With the advise of others here on the BoB and what I've now seen first hand I've stopped inhaling all together. It's still an individual choice everyone has to make on their own and being pipe smokers we are still exposed to some of the harm from tobacco.

I believe this way, it's probably not the healthiest thing you can do but, certainly not the worst.
Some people smoke all there life and never die from it and, some do.
I'm hoping that I'm in the percentage that don't and if I do, I hope God will forgive me for enjoying myself.  :D 

When it comes to paying for your healthcare,
a pipe or cigar once a month is exactly the
same as smoking three packs a day.  :twisted: 

Many will try to give you the run-around with all manner of nonsense about pipe smoking not being harmful to your health, don't believe a word of it, tobacco smoke IS carcinogenic and as long as it is entering your body whether just into your mouth or into your lungs you are risking cancer. If you smoke indoors then the smoke IS entering your lungs in a secondary manner and you ARE taking a risk of lung cancer. Don't allow anyone to convince you otherwise, you have to decide for yourself what risks you are prepared to take with your life and your health. If you live with others then you MUST consider their health too, it is up to you if you want to take the risk of cancer but it is NOT up to you to decide to take that risk for other people.

Ive been a pipe smoker for 1 year and 2 months. Ive never smoked anything before either. In that time period, I heard many people references studies that show pipe smokers to be the least harmful, though I have not myself ever seen one. Can anyone point me to a credible study on this subject? Thanks.
Z

Most of the studies done that statistically quantified different type of tobacco use are all relatively old. I have one here from 1969.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1945937/pdf/canmedaj01314-0024.pdf

The issue is very convoluted because many factors come into play, such as inhalation. Some pipe and cigar smokers inhale, some don't. This is obviously a factor that should be reviewed but most studies just have a blanket policy on smoking tobacco and usually one for chewed tobacco. Snuff use is so rare its rarely even talked about in terms of health.

Nicotine in and of itself has well documented effects that you can research.

"The mortality rate of cigarette smokers is highly correlated (multiple correlation coefficient = 0.97) to the dose rate of the smoke (volume of smoke inhaled per day) and the length of exposure to the dose. The increase in mortality ratio with dose rate is large for cigarette smokers and represents a doubling of the death rate of male smokers from 45 to 65 years of age at average dose rates.

The mortality ratio of pipe smokers is independent of the dose rate of the smoker. The mortality ratio of cigar smokers is correlated to the dose rate of the smoke but the increase in mortality with dose rate is not large.
The mortality ratio of cigarette smokers who also smoke pipes and cigars is significantly lower than of those who smoke cigarettes only at the same cigarette-smoke dose rate and length of exposure.

The lower mortality rate of pipe and cigar smokers compared to that for cigarette smokers cannot be explained by a difference in the amount smoked, depth of inhalation or age at which the smoking was started. The only hypothesis which might satisfactorily explain the changes is the difference in the composition of the smoke produced by dissimilar combustion conditions in pipes, cigars, and cigarettes. "

Briar Spirit":pohlg4wd said:
Many will try to give you the run-around with all manner of nonsense about pipe smoking not being harmful to your health, don't believe a word of it, tobacco smoke IS carcinogenic and as long as it is entering your body whether just into your mouth or into your lungs you are risking cancer. If you smoke indoors then the smoke IS entering your lungs in a secondary manner and you ARE taking a risk of lung cancer. Don't allow anyone to convince you otherwise, you have to decide for yourself what risks you are prepared to take with your life and your health. If you live with others then you MUST consider their health too, it is up to you if you want to take the risk of cancer but it is NOT up to you to decide to take that risk for other people.
Wow -- Debbie Downer for sure!  :| 

But absolutely correct, sir.

Tate, thanks for the actual scientific research. I wish these kinds of studies were still being done.

3 uses or less per week and you can qualify for non-smokers insurance. All things in moderation.

The 3 major issues to consider are cancer, heart damage, COPD.

Cancers are caused by "healing cells" gone bad. Don't inhale and try to prevent tongue bite and excessive oral irritation.
Heart damage and vascular restriction is caused by the nicotine. Don't chase the nicotine buzz.
COPD risk is greatly increased by inhaling. Just don't do it.

My great-grandfather was a pipe smoker and lived to be 80. He died when he broke his hip in the nursing home and contracted pneumonia. I hope we each live life to the fullest and have many years to do so!

rothnh":jlzqn5g6 said:
Briar Spirit":jlzqn5g6 said:
Wow -- Debbie Downer for sure!  :| 

But absolutely correct, sir.
Nah, me I love smoking, have done since I was 7 years old, been smoking pipes since I was 12 years old, I understand the risk I am taking but in my own opinion I could literally be shot tomorrow or be hit by a car or be stuck down with a heart attack. I love smoking tobacco and I am going to suck down as many bowl fills as I can before I leave this mortal coil, I aint gonna get a second run at it so I'm gonna keep smoking for as long as I can, that's my choice.

With the gross amounts of poison car users are pumping into the atmosphere and the disgusting things industry is doing to the very air we breathe, I am not going to lose any sleep over my smoking habit. In my own humble opinion, so long as the person is aware of the risks they are taking and they're not forcing that risk on other people then it's their choice and no one else's, but the anti's think we're all a bunch of mindless morons who don't know the risks we're taking, we're not mindless morons and those self-same anti's all drive around in their cars for no god-dam good reason actually poisoning the atmosphere that we all breathe, who is the real brain-dead moron in that equation eh.

Ocelot55":itu4g1vi said:
Tate, thanks for the actual scientific research. I wish these kinds of studies were still being done.
I agree Ocelot. Now days when I ready anything, the very first question I have is.... who paid for this. When I follow the money, it directly affects any studies credibility.

Briar Spirit":5rbhn82u said:
Nah, me I love smoking, have done since I was 7 years old, been smoking pipes since I was 12 years old
Now that would be a sight to see.....  :face: 

I am of the opinion that in moderation most things can be good for what ales you. I frequently smoke my pipe to deal with nausea caused by the chemo therapy class meds I take for my auto-immune issues. Since I took up smoking I have had fewer asthma attacks, and less trouble with my allergies as well. My Dr. knows I smoke a pipe and he knows why. He has no problem with it and has suggested it to some of his other patients. Is there a risk? YES! Everything you do or don't do comes with risk attached. Minimize where you can. You only have one shot at life, what good is it if you don't enjoy it!

Jim

zonomo":ehmdpw7y said:
Briar Spirit":ehmdpw7y said:
Nah, me I love smoking, have done since I was 7 years old, been smoking pipes since I was 12 years old
Now that would be a sight to see.....  :face: 
Nah, you wouldn't have liked me at that period of my life, pretty abused and neglected kid with a seriously fiery temper.

Briar Spirit":zmti5epw said:
What Kirk says here is true. If you smoke you may get cancer and die. However I believe the odds of dying in a car accident are much greater. Am I going to give up traveling by car thinking I'll live longer? My belief is that we all have an appointed time to die. We won't be a minute late or a second early when it's our turn. The one thing I can guarantee is I won't die from is worrying about whether or not I'm going to die from smoking my pipe.  :) 

AJ

ajn27511":w9a8rket said:
My belief is that we all have an appointed time to die. We won't be a minute late or a second early when it's our turn. The one thing I can guarantee is I won't die from is worrying about whether or not I'm going to die from smoking my pipe.  :) 

AJ
Superbly put my friend, couldn't have said it better myself.  :sunny: 

1. To smoke or not to smoke is not the same thing as choosing between smoking and euphoric immortality. Choosing not to smoke may / may not grant you a few more largely unpleasant, impoverished, celibate years than someone who chooses to smoke. For sure, we wouldn't want to miss those, right?

2. Credible consumer advice regarding smoking is quashed by the anti-smokers who treat the public as if we're gullible public school students. The question, "How safe is moderate pipe smoking?" is unanswerable because there is no credible research on non-inhaling pipe smokers. So, the topic is switched to "second hand smoke" discussions which are themselves dominated by anti-smoking activists. Wouldn't it be helpful to have unbiased comparative information about cig, stogey and pipe smoking, both for the smokers and the people around them? The government is making sure we don't get it.

3. There is some anecdotal info available. I've seen statements that four pipes a day constitutes largely harmless smoking for a non-inhaler. I also repeatedly have seen comments that seven cigarettes a day is probably below threat level. And I've seen claims that smoking a pack a day of cigs is equivalent to living in NYC. But who knows for sure? This kind of research could find that -- gasp! -- there is a level of smoking that the body can recover from naturally. Can't let that out.

4. The human body continually generates cells, so it's possible to overcome exposure to some level of harmful substances. At what point is damage caused by exposure to pipe smoking not naturally reversible? No one knows for sure. No one wants to find out.

5. Iwan Ries used to offer a succinct little booklet on this topic, titled "Please Don't Poop in My Salad, and other essays opposing the war against smoking." Don't know it it's still available.