How is composed your cellar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando71

Reaction score
I read several pages of threads about how much lbs. someone is cellaring. It is an interesting reading indeed.

As pipe tobacco collector, what interest me more is how many blends we are cellaring. It's ok to cellar dozens of lbs. of your favorite blends but from my perspective, I wouldn't do that because for me it would means "more of the same", in fact I use to store no more (with few exceptions) than 4 ounces of each blend.

Right now, I counted 612 different blends in my cellar, represented by 79 brands in a total weight of 104 lbs. worth, so the average is a little more than 2.7 ounces per blend if I did the math right.

You tobacco who-- you lol. I think I am rocking 63 blends actually stashed in the cellar and probably 20 others with me right now. I am only sitting on 28 pounds or so (my cellar isn't up to date online, and I need to rectify that eventually). I do have a bunch of my favorites as multiple pounds/tins but also have a wide array of different tins to try. I figure why stop trying new things when I find one I like because there could always be a new one I will like more. Just my way of thinking anyhow. No matter how you delve into it a cellar is a nice thing to have and although the initial cost sucks the savings of buying now and cellaring well outweighs what the taxes will have us paying as time passes. We should all have a lifetime supply in our cellar to smoke/share/enjoy. Good on ya for having a wide range of tobaccos to try, when you find "that" tobacco for you I am sure you will grab a few pounds...and then your tastes will change as everyones does lol.

kaiser83":rki3prwj said:
You tobacco who-- you lol.
I know it sounds funny :D but I collect tobaccos, vintages mostly. Sometimes I smoke them, too. :D

Most of my cellar is bulk, in mason jars. There are only a handful of blends that I keep more than a pound of on hand at any given time. Mostly they are the hard to find guys like SG, Esoterica and HV. But, those blends probably compose about half of what I have stashed away. The rest is mostly single jars (30 or so, maybe) with 1.5-8oz of bulk. Then I probably have a 100 or so tins of various sorts, most are single tins, the exception again being a handful (maybe a dozen) SG tins. I do also keep a few tins of Blackwoods Flake on hand but that's just because I go through it so quick. This is a complete and total guess, but I'd say I have about 20lbs in total, give or take.

"More of the same" is better than none at all, which is what alot of people fear will happen in the totalitarian future. That said, variety is good. You always need something new to crack open to change things up.

How many different blends in the cellar? Far short of your 612, but I'm not a collector.

Ashton
Winding Road

Bufflehead Decoy

Butera
Royal Vintage Matured Ribbon

C&D
Autumn Evening
Bayou Morning
Briar Fox
Green River Vanilla
Guilford Courthouse
Haunted Bookshop
Interlude
Manhattan Afternoon
Milk and Honey
Old Joe Krantz
Opening Night
Pegasus
Redwood
Sunday Picnic
Three Friars
Virginia Gentleman

Dan Tobacco
Blue Note
Devils Holiday
Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

Danish Import
Red Label

Davidoff
Flake Medallions

Escudo

GLP
Embarcadero
Laurel Heights
Stratford

Hamborger Veermaster

Macbaren
Mixture Modern
Plumcake
Symphony

McClelland
Blackwoods Flake
Blending Oriental
Blending Perique
Christmas Cheer
Holiday Spirit
No. 25 Virginia
Royal Cajun Special
St. James Woods
Virginia Woods

Peterson
3P
Irish Oak
Luxury Blend
University Flake

Presbyterian

Reiner LGF

Robert Lewis 123

Robert McConnell
Scottish Flake

SG
Firedance Flake
BBF

Solani
Aged Burley Flake 656
Virginia Flake 633

Stanwell Melange

Wessex
Campaign Dark Flake

BULK

Boswell
Dans Blend
PA Dutch Treat

GLP
Union Square

Macbaren
HH Mature VA

McClelland

PS
Luxury Bullseye Flake
Luxury Navy Flake
Luxury Twist Flake

Rattray
HOTW

Solani
Silver Flake

I came up with about 60 differently blends that I have added to the cellar though that’s just my tin count. I enjoy trying all these different flavors that are available. I wonder if I should start concentrating on only a couple of blends? Thoughts?

I have about 9 lbs.  Most in tins, maybe 3-4 lbs in bulk.   I tend to favor tins over bulk and jars but sometime the deals are too good. I try to keep http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Nightcap67 up to date. Lately I have been adding a lot of straight Virginia and that trend will probably continue.

What is interesting is the front page of http://www.tobaccocellar.com/ has stats on everyone that uses the site.

44 pounds, with a lot of variety (363 containers, 140+ blends) -- I really shouldn't buy any more to cellar; at current usage, I have about 13 years worth!

I see that peckinpahhombre has 677 pounds stashed away. Nothing like planning four, five, or six decades ahead, I say!

Richard Burley":sztnon0b said:
I see that peckinpahhombre has 677 pounds stashed away. Nothing like planning four, five, or six decades ahead, I say!
I got to imagine he is one of those guys that buys and resells later as vintage. I don't see how anyone can make it through 677 pounds on their own.

GeoffC":qjmku80t said:
Richard Burley":qjmku80t said:
I got to imagine he is one of those guys that buys and resells later as vintage.   I don't see how anyone can make it through 677 pounds on their own.
Well, that's a relief. I had him pegged as a nut. ;)

GeoffC":cb603u6k said:
I don't see how anyone can make it through 677 pounds on their own.
I don't either, but it might be nice to have the option to try :D

I'm sitting on just under 200 pounds.
(and all the cigars I'll ever smoke.)

I still need to get rid of my Lat blends,
especially now with McClellends and Dunhill in demand.

I look at my cellar which most of my tins are around 5 years old and wonder if my approach works or should get more serious about certain blends.

677 lbs isn't really that much. I used to smoke more than 20 bowls a day. You figure an average of 3grams per bowl and you are smoking over 400- 50gram tins per year. At that rate of usage it's only 15 years worth. Quite within the realm of possibility. I'm glad I no longer smoke like that but there are those that do.

Jim

huffelpuff":svvad5mn said:
677 lbs isn't really that much. I used to smoke more than 20 bowls a day. You figure an average of 3grams per bowl and you are smoking over 400- 50gram tins per year. At that rate of usage it's only 15 years worth. Quite within the realm of possibility. I'm glad I no longer smoke like that but there are those that do.

Jim
20 bowls? Was this retirement smoking or did you have a job that let you smoke?

I stayed at an average of 20 bowls a day for about 2-2&1/2 years. It was just sort of a perfect storm kind of thing. I had been retired for quite awhile at that point but it was when the last of my children started school. The sudden free time was just too temping to let pass by.

Jim